shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence - is it good bad or indifferent ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colleenharkin

Rough_Rock
when doing a search for products in pricescope i see in the details that some have no Fluorescence, some say slight, some say blue .............

where can i find what this all means ? and if it''s good bad or indiffernt ? i am looking for a ''white'' bright sparkly look.

many thanks

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
do a search on fluorescense and fluorescent and you will find what you are looking for.

look for "show me your fluorescent stones", and a few others.

i think it's purdy and i wouln't buy a stone without it now.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Colleen
35.gif

Ditto Lady K, use the search tool on flourescence, this has been discussed many times and you will find all the info you need
1.gif

Flourescence doesn''t make the diamond white and sparkly cut does. Read the tutorials to learn about cut quality - this is what makes a diamond beautiful. Colour plays a big part in whiteness obviously, however you can go a lot lower in colour with a great cut and still have a white diamond, some J''s and K''s even look extremely white
3.gif
NEVER sacrifice on cut, this way you will have a rock that makes your heart leap every time you look at it.

Flourescence just is, depends on the opinion of the individual whether it is good or bad etc. Years ago it was considered to be a big selling point, fell out of favour and now is getting back in it, it seems. It can help lower colour stones to face up whiter, however with faint to med you might not even notice it much. I have a diamond with faint to med which I take great pains to see it as I love flourescence, the diamond has a violety hue in some sunlight etc.

Put it this way, I would buy a diamond without it, but if the one I was considering had flourescence I would be very pleased, especially in a lower colour. Also strong blue can make a diamond rarely look oily or milky in some lights, check with the vendor if the diamond you are considering has this, but it is unusual.

Also the colour of the flouro is normally noted, blue is the most common and desirable.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Drena''s last 2 stones have been strong blue.
We live in Australia where there is plenty of great daylight and fluoro effects.
Her last stone was E, and this one is F.

I rarely detect any effect - but when I do I like it. They looks super cool icy whiter.

Rarely could you ever find a diamond that had a diminution of brilliance because of the dreaded oiily effect. I probably see a couple of dozen stones a year that I would avoid (and I see thousands)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Is fluorescence good, bad or indifferent? Yes.

Indifferent: As has been pointed out above, it rarely has a visible affect on the stone.

Bad: ‘Rarely’ isn’t the same as never. If you’re buying a stone without the opportunity to look at it and it shows strong fluorescence in the lab report, there is a possibility that this will be a problem in sunlight and other strong UV lighting conditions.

Good: This seems to drive down the prices on stones with strong fluoro, even those where there is no problem.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
The other thing is that flourescence is another identifying characteristic of a diamond. It makes the stone unique -- there are more diamonds without it than with it. This summer I had to get my ring sized and my regular jeweler was on vacation. I could have waited but didn''t want to, so I had it done at another jeweler. I never worried about my diamond getting switched because they''d never be able to get a diamond with the same dimensions and the strong blue flourescence. Also, CZs and moisonite don''t flouresce, so you know your diamond is a diamond. It wouldn''t be a deal breaker either way for me, but I like having flourescence in my stone so if I were looking I''d likely want one with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results