shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence: good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lee420

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have noticed while searching for an engagement diamond that some of them exhibit fluorescence. It sounds cool to me but I know nothing of such things.
So, is it good for a diamond to glow in the dark?
10.gif

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
it doesn't really glow in the dark (that's phosphorescence), but if it had medium or even strong fluorescence - it may look 'radioactive' under blacklight, or even look very slightly blue in direct sunlight....

I like it a lot (and so does my future fiance) - I picked up a stone that has strong blue fluorescence that borders on very strong (which can sometimes be a problem due to an 'oily' effect that the stone will have - some of the light will get stuck in the stone - kinda)...

in any case, see if you can view several stones (at a local jeweler) with it & without it & see with you like better - btw, your jeweler will likely tell you that NOBODY wants a fluorescing stone and that you're crazy.

Just agree with them and ask to see what they have.

Good luck!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Run a search on fluorescence here to see a range of opinions
2.gif
. It boils down to personal taste. I think it's cool -way cool!- and I look for it in my diamond purchases. The only thing to be aware of is that in rare instances, extremely strong fluorescence can make a stone look cloudy, which is not good. Go look at some stones for yourself and see what you like.
1.gif

JC

Shiny_Rock
I also think fluorescence comes down to personal preference. In most cases it will help the diamond to appear whiter not too mention discount the price of the diamond when compared to similar diamonds without fluorescence. Quaeritur gave a good answer. If you follow that advice you can't go wrong...Good luck.

1.gif

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
I am a big fan of flourescence. I own them, I use them in design contests. We did a piece with pave diamonds where constellations show up with a black light. Sometimes you can find odd colors too like green and orange. Maybe I just have fond memories of black light posters on my wall as a kid. Very few look any different to the eye in natural light or jewelry store light. I have people come in and tell me that they refuse to buy any diamonds with FL, then I take a black light to their tennis bracelet and show them a few.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/11/2004 4:57:02 AM yowahking wrote:

We did a piece with pave diamonds where constellations show up with a black light. ----------------

Okay, my "inner sci-fi nerd" just assumed control... What a cool idea. Do you have photos?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results