shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence fun

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Oh boy I''m so confused![:p]
23.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone else think the hope diamond looks like an evil eye...

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Do synthetic Rubies shine blue under flor lights?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s what the GIA Gem Reference Guide has to say about fluorescence in rubies:

Burma - strong red (LW), moderate red (SW)
Ceylon - strong oragne-red (LW), moderate orange-red (SW)
Thai - weak red (LW), inert (SW)

synthethic ruby (flame fusion method) - very strong orangy red (LW), moderate to strong orangy red (SW)
synthethic ruby (flux method) - strong orangy red (but not quite as strong as flame fusion or highly fluorescent natural material) (LW), orangy red (generally stronger than natural, but some material may show zoned area of blue and/or bluish overtint on orangy-red (SW)

LW = longwave
SW = shortwave

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2005 9:44:48 PM
Author: bluedawg
Someone please correct me if I''m wrong.
I thought that a diamond that glows blue under UV lighting is 100% a diamond. A diamond that does not fluoresce is either a real diamond that is inert (most are) or possibly a fake.
Therefore, if your diamond glows blue then you know it''s genuine.

cflutist, I hadn''t read about CZs possibly having green/yellow fluor. I guess that means that one of my tiny melee stones could be a fake.
2.gif
No, colorless diamonds can have yellow fluorescence too. My older tennis bracelet has an assortment - none, blue, and yellow.
Blue is more common than yellow, but yellow does exist.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
34.gif
Wow I never knew about yellow flourescence. That''s why I love PS I learn something new everyday. Thanks cflutist.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Fluoresence in CZ.

One very easy way to separate CZ from diamond is that CZ flouresces stronger in Short Wave UV than long wave UV.

This particularly helpful when looking at a large parcel of small diamonds. You can easily sort out the ones that are suspicious, for further examination.

So just a plain black light ( usually only LW ) is really useful for determining much except that a stone does or doesn''t fluoresce.
You need a unit that displays short wave and long wave UV.

Another very interesting indication that UV is helpful with is detected repairs, on coral branches, and items of jewelry, etc,in which glue or cement which isn''t apparent to the eye, becomes very obvious under UV.

Some years ago while analyzing a large coral branch sold for $ 40,000.00, (without the disclosure that it was repaired) my examination using UV proved that it had been broken and then repaired.

Rockdoc

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh! More fluoresence talk - yay! Here''s some pics of my D with strong blue fluoresence (a real diamond, not a CZ as the thread has recently been leaning toward) - but cool pics - thought I''d share.

Fluoresence collage copy c.jpg

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
ecf8503, that is soooo cool!
I have a diamond with strong blue fluor, and I love going into haunted houses around Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results