shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence fun

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I was excited and wanted to share this with you all.

FH and I went to the movies last night (Robots at the discount theater), and at this place they have black lights on as you enter the theater. It was our first time there since we got engaged, and I was very pleased to see my little pear glowing purple!! Fluorescence is so cool!
10.gif

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
I agree-- it is super fun!

A co-worker recently told me that she had been afraid to mention that she saw about 5 of her tiny melee diamonds "glow blue" at a club. She thought it meant that they were not real!
9.gif
She told me this when I pulled out the blacklight at work and showed her, with pride, my glowing diamond.

DH & I are taking our kids to Disneyland in October and I can't wait to see my diamond inside the rides.
3.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
That''s so neat!!! I think stones with flourescence are amazing!

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
Oooh it''s interesting that you would bring this up :)

At work we have a black light over the hallway that connects all of our offices. Last week it was my turn to stay late so I took in my digital camera and made good use of my time alone ;-)

Here''s what my ring looks like in broad daylight:
sideways.jpg

Here it is on my hand, under the blacklight:
Glow.jpg

glow2.jpg

I LOVE that it glows so brightly. It''s as if my stone has a secret identity that no one else knows about. The more fluorescence the better IMO!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Cool!! Heidi, do you have the specs on your ring on that thread you first posted about it? I'd be curious to see what the level of flor/color is....it is such a pretty ring!!!

(ETA: Never mind--I went and found your old thread about your RHR and it looks like it/s I and probably SB FLor?) Fun excuse to see that thread again--such a great ring!!!)
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heidi,
That is so cool. Thanks!!!

Spear

Rough_Rock
If you have any Singapore dollars lying around,
Look at them under Fluorescence bulbs.
and be amazed!

31.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Cool beans!
9.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you guys know that the Hope Diamond has red fluorescence? Read about it in Gems and Gemology (GIA publication).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow cflutist, I never knew that. Very interesting, I will have to read up on that, thanks!!
34.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a fun one: My grandmother''s synthetic spinel fluoresces bright red! Picture was taken by Martin Fuller. The stone is medium teal blue under normal lighting conditions.

When Martin put my wedding set under the black light, my center stone was medium blue (which I knew when I purchased it), and the pave shanks had several stones scattered here and there that came up blue also.

I''ve heard of diamonds fluorescing blue and yellow but not red. I presume the yellow would make the diamond look a few grades lower than it actually is (since blue can help make a diamond look whiter), but what would red fluorescence do the overall appearance of a diamond?

DiamondLil

gmhringfluoro1.jpg

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Diamondlil,

Only blue diamonds will fluoresce red (or at least that it what I have read). The Hope D. is blue.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2005 3:02:20 PM
Author: bluedawg
Diamondlil,

Only blue diamonds will fluoresce red (or at least that it what I have read). The Hope D. is blue.
Yes that is true. I will ask Websailor to scan in a picture I have of this later today (he''s at the Star Wars movie right now).

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2005 3:59:49 PM
Author: cflutist
Yes that is true. I will ask Websailor to scan in a picture I have of this later today (he''s at the Star Wars movie right now).
Wow, everyone is going to that!

My husband wants to go desperately, but he isn''t into seriously crowded theaters, so he''s resigned himself to waiting until it''s been out a week or so for the furor to die down.

I don''t have any inclination. My family was stationed in Puerto Rico when the whole Star Wars thing first happened. It was right around the time we were transferring home, so it hadn''t gotten there yet, and when we returned, it was already passed by here, so I never caught the "fever" of it all. Sometimes I feel like I missed an entire cultural phenom and I''m outta the loop.....lol.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven''t seen any of the Star Wars movies myself. Star Wars, Star Trek, they are all the same to me. Websailor laughed at me once because I DID think they were the same. Shame on me. LOL

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
You mean they aren''t???????

(hehehe - knew that, but barely.)

My old roommate used to be a Trekkie, so I know one was TV and one was movie. One had William Shatner, and the other didn''t. That''s where my knowledge line of it ends. I''ve heard of all the characters names, and I could reasonably conjure them up as a response to a "Who wants to abe a millionaire" question, but that''s the extent of it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am probably the only person that hasn''t seen any of the star wars movies.
6.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the picture I promised you. Websailor decided to take a picture of the book instead of scanning it in so it is a little fuzzy.

Hope Diamond P5220430a.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks cflutist!!! That is really cool!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
this thread caused me to want to find out more about the Hope Diamond. I found this pic on the internet. it''s of Mrs. Evaly Walsh Mclean wearing the HOPE Diamond with the McLean Diamond(31.26 carats) and Star of the East (94.8 carats) attached
mclean.gif

1 more
HOPE.GIF

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
fluorescence is soooo cool!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo,
Thanks for the pics, wow!!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I went to the movie during the day and it was almost entirely empty...3:30 showing. As for the flor I just love it so spiffy and fun.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
38.gif
I''m so jealous. FH went to the Thursday morning 12:01am showing of Star Wars III, the older of my younger bros has seen it twice, my youngest bro saw it on Saturday, and my sis and her bf get to see it twice. I''ll probably have to wait until next week to see it!
39.gif

Actually, Star Trek is both TV and movies (to confuse you all more probably). I was never a huge Trekkie, but I enjoy watching them. The movies are better than the later series though, I think. The Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home are my favorites. The early TV series with Shatner are pretty funny though. The Tribbles!!! And the random crew member who was beamed down to hostile planets with the main characters just to kill someone off! Great fun!

A big difference between Star Wars and Star Trek is that Star Wars is set "a long time ago in a galaxy far away", while Star Trek is based on the Planet Earth in the future. And Star Trek doesn''t have Yoda.
28.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
It''s probably redundant to express my passion for fluor.
28.gif
9.gif

That said, if you are interested in the Star Wars ep III - the thread entitled "Tonight" is a bunch of us geeky star wars freaks talking about it. I''ve seen it twice. And, I plan on going again.
6.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
If you have a cubic Zirconia will it glow under the black light? Will a diamond with no flour show under the light?
I saw an episode of Joey were one of the sisters lied and said she had this huge diamond but when the blacklight came on you couldn''t see her diamond (or you could I don''t remember) so they knew it was a fake. Is this true
emquestion.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE MY FUTURE HUBBY!!!! He got us tickets to Star Wars tonight!!! Yee-ha!!!!!! I'll have to check out that thread - thanks F&I!!

Date: 5/23/2005 5:01:17 PM
Author: Angel7
If you have a cubic Zirconia will it glow under the black light? Will a diamond with no flour show under the light?

I saw an episode of Joey were one of the sisters lied and said she had this huge diamond but when the blacklight came on you couldn't see her diamond (or you could I don't remember) so they knew it was a fake. Is this true
emquestion.gif

Hi Angel - I don't know about CZ fluorescing, but diamonds can have no fluor. (inert) or they can have anything up to very strong fluor. Fluor can be in many colors, but the most common in the colorless diamonds is blue.

Basically, you can't tell whether a stone is a real diamond or not only by the presence or absence of fluorescence (glowing under black light), because real diamonds do both! I suppose, if CZ did not fluoresce for example, you could tell if a stone was definitely diamond because it fluoresced, but you couldn't say it was definitely not a diamond because it didn't, and vice versa. The situation is complicated if CZ fluoresces sometimes. Make sense? Maybe another fluor. nut will chime in too.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A CZ may show greenish yellow or yellowish orange fluorescence (source lesson 12 of the GIA Gem Identification course).

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Someone please correct me if I''m wrong.
I thought that a diamond that glows blue under UV lighting is 100% a diamond. A diamond that does not fluoresce is either a real diamond that is inert (most are) or possibly a fake.
Therefore, if your diamond glows blue then you know it''s genuine.

cflutist, I hadn''t read about CZs possibly having green/yellow fluor. I guess that means that one of my tiny melee stones could be a fake.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results