shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence and yellow diamonds

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm beginning my search for a yellow diamond. Fluorescence in a white diamond doesn't bother me at all. But I have read that it can be a problem in a yellow diamond. Does fluorescence negatively impact the color? (And for the record we're talking blue fluorescence) Some guidance on this subject would be much appreciated.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi doberman ,
Congratulations on getting a yellow diamond- that's fun!
In general, blue florescence is not desirable in the yellow diamond, but there are many exceptions. What shade of yellow are you looking at?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1489872332|4141642 said:
Hi doberman ,
Congratulations on getting a yellow diamond- that's fun!
In general, blue florescence is not desirable in the yellow diamond, but there are many exceptions. What shade of yellow are you looking at?

Hi, David! :wavey: Is the reason that it makes the diamond look whiter? Or does it have another negative effect?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm waffling between fancy yellow and intense yellow. Having never really looked carefully at yellow diamonds it's hard to decide whether the price jump is worth it. I saw a great diamond 3.06 fancy intense that I'd buy in a heartbeat, but it's a bit out of my price range. Basically it boils down to size vs color and it helps to know how fluorescence fits into the equation.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually prefer fancy yellow or even fancy light yellow over fancy intense. It's rare that I like the lesser expensive option, but it is true i this case! Good luck with your search!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, David! :wavey: Is the reason that it makes the diamond look whiter? Or does it have another negative effect?
HI DS!!!
IN many cases the fluorescence can indeed dull the canary yellow color.
I believe that's the main reason MB or SB stones trade at hefty discounts in Fancy Light Yellow, Fancy Yellow, and Fancy Intense Yellow.
The truth is that a percentage MB/SB stones don't have this problem- but the market lumps them together.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh, thanks, David! Maybe I should find one, in that case! I love discounts on things that aren't really a negative!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's very tricky DS- which is part of the issue for consumers. Just an example: photographing yellow diamonds is massively complicated by MB or SB.
In a light box they may look VERY yellow- but not in real life.
Even from a grading standpoint, fluorescence creates inequities.
Many times, under a grading light, a Fancy Yellow with MB or SB can look a shade darker than inert stones of the same shade.
Part of the reason the whole issue of fluorescence is so contentious here on PS ( from my perspective) is that I've noticed activation of fluorescence under many lighting situations outside of direct sunlight.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so interesting, David! I guess that's just one of those things that is very hard to buy without seeing in person. I agree about photographing diamond color even in general. It is very hard to capture color accurately in pictures. I wish I could see the yellow ones in person to see what the fluor. does!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sounds like time for a big apple trip:wavey:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the information, Rockdiamond, that's exactly what I was looking for!
Diamondseeker, I'm trying to decide if I'd be happy with a FY rather than an IY. I'm definitely leaning in that direction in order to get the get the size I'd prefer. I just hope it looks yellow enough.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
To add to David Rock's comments - GIA grade the color in a strongly lit box called a Judge (or similar), supposedly on the floor. The fluorescent tubes would be expected to be emitting some UV - so in some cases a stone of say Fancy might actually look more yellow and even rival a Fancy Intense non fluoro in light devoid of UV and near visible violet light (like most LED lighting).
It is complex, and on top of that the huge variation - especially within the Fancy Intense grade, not even counting that some are greenish and some orangish.
Working with a trusted vendor can more than pay for the margin difference.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at stones from PS trusted vendors, I see a huge discrepancy in price among stones of similar specs. Some of it is due to fluorescence, I see that now - thank you all. But there is obviously something else at work setting prices. If we were talking about clear diamonds, that something else would be cut. But for yellow diamonds, I suspect that it must be subtle color variations due to undertones of green and brown. Can cut affect the color shading? This is where my head starts to spin. Obviously all intense yellows are not created equal.

We were on vacation this week and I popped into a store to try on colors of yellow diamonds. Found a real beauty of a FY ring for 100k - on sale lol. No GIA papers. Let me just say I am so glad to have the knowledge and resources of this site. I went back to the villa and showed my husband how the ring could be made for half that amount or less.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results