shape
carat
color
clarity

Flower Pavillion?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, but I have another newbie question-If a stone is described as having a "flower" pavillion what does that mean? Is it good, bad, or just different? Any thoughts?
thanks!!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could be wrong, but I think it's a fancy way of saying it's a Portuguese cut.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
baby nurse|1313348607|2990686 said:
I could be wrong, but I think it's a fancy way of saying it's a Portuguese cut.

thanks baby nurse
In that case- I'd like it as I like Portuguese cuts :))

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Portuguese cuts as well! Now, hopefully someone who knows a little more will confirm whether flower cut really does = Portuguese cut!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most likely, it means that it is a Portuguese cut because when viewed face up, the stone will look like a flower opening up with all the added smaller facets.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok - I could be wrong but I don't think it's necessarily a portugese cut. I believe pavillions can be cut to resemble a flower with other cuts but would love that to be clarified by one of our lapidaries.

In answer to your question, is it a good or bad thing? It's probably a good thing because it may mean that the gemstone is well cut - although that's a huge generalisation!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
There is a store locally that has a round which is advertised with a flower pavilion, and the trade name they are using is rosella. It is not a portugese cut though, so you need to check i think

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LovingDiamonds|1313517392|2991973 said:
Ok - I could be wrong but I don't think it's necessarily a portuguese cut. I believe pavillions can be cut to resemble a flower with other cuts but would love that to be clarified by one of our lapidaries.

In answer to your question, is it a good or bad thing? It's probably a good thing because it may mean that the gemstone is well cut - although that's a huge generalisation!
I believe LovingDiamonds is on to something here. The original Portuguese technique involves a series of 16-facet-tiers culminating to a point at the culet on a [round gemstone]. Most pavilions would incorporate 5 tiers, but 4 tiers still works on shallower or smaller roughs.

The same technique has been transposed on to other shapes and is commonly seen in ovals and cushions.

Here is an Aquamarine oval exhibiting a flower technique - using a take-off on the Portuguese -- except the culet comes together with 8 facets, and not 16. The culet facets are slightly below the Critical Angle which allows for the small window. And, this small window has the whole of the Aqua appear richer in color than it actually is. I cannot take credit for this technique as it came into existence well before I started in the industry. (I did not cut this stone.)

Here is another take on the technique and this was performed in Pakistan. Again, the culet facets are below Critical Angle allowing light to deliberately leak out the pavilion with a net effect of having the gem appear richer in color. Though, this stone needs some help as it isn't a great piece anyway. I did not facet this stone, though I was asked to place a 'buff-top' on what was the crown.

And here is an Orthoclase incorporating the 'flower' technique but the culet facets are above the Critical Angle. There is no light leakage, and there is brightness throughout.

I hope this was helpful.

AquaOvalOpenFlowerTechnique.jpg

OrthoclaseCushionClosedFlowerTechnique.jpg

PeridotOvalOpenFlowerTechnique.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Wow- thank you so much Roger for your illustrations and explanation!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results