shape
carat
color
clarity

Flourescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BiggBaddWulf

Rough_Rock
Is Medium Blue Flourescence a factor that will hinder the colorgrade of a Gia D colored diamond that wighs .7ct ?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure what you mean by "hinder", but med. blue fluor. RARELY has any affect on the apparent color of D-F or apparent transparency of such diamonds. If someone knows, first hand, of an example, please let us hear about it.

As you may know, the trade (quite irrationally) sometimes assigns a slight discount to fluorescent stones, especially in the strong to very strong range, for the D-F colors on the unsubstantiated belief that it is somehow a negative factor in a diamond's appearance. Personally, I think it's pretty much a non-factor, which has been much overplayed to the public in a negative way. Fluorescent diamonds are COOL!

To read up on this subject, see Gems & Gemology, Vol. 33, Winter, 1997, p. 244, a GIA study on blue fluorescence.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Someone posted a link to a chart about price hits/plusses of "Flour" in diamonds. Higher color (D/E/F) diamonds take a price hit with medium to strong Flour. Lower color diamonds (I/J) increase in price with medium to strong Flour present. If I remember correctly, medium flour in a D would drop the price slightly. Bonus for the buyer there!

As to affecting the appearance, you would have to see the diamond to know for sure. Most likely, you will get wonderful flashes of blue light and beautiful sparkles. But, you might also get a slightly milky or oily look when the diamond is in direct sunlight. That's a call you have to make by seeing the diamond in person.
1.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gary is correct.
GIA did a study in the late 90's and the end result was that only very strong (overblue) fluorescence would give the slightly milky or oily look sometimes seen.
Medium blue is a non-issue. If you want to believe the uneducated about fluorescence, be our guest. There are some very pretty diamonds out there with fluorescence and they all need a home.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Many of the personal diamonds that we wear exhibit medium to strong blue fluorescence, it is a property which we like very much, if nothing else because it is fun to show people the diamond as it appears under a black light... Robin wears one stone which is a 2.54 carat, D color with distinct blue fluorescence (beyond the realm of strong blue) and it has a tendancy to look oily if she doesn't clean it every other day or so... In terms of "discounts" for fluorescence, it is usually only a percent or two... Long story short, a little blue fluorescence isn't anything to worry about as far as we're concerned.

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
I have an E color diamond .7 carat as well!!!!!!!! It has a medium blue flourescence. It is impossible to tell other than when we go dancing and it looks so amazing glowing BLUE!!!!!!! My friend's diamonds don't do that!!!!! When we upgrade my diamond, I would prefer another med. blue fl and we would be looking in the D-E color range. Also, our jeweler noted it is an identifiable mark if you bring your diamond ring in for repair by asking the jeweler to put it under the black lights. Also, it is cool that only a smaller percentage of diamonds have flourescence. My diamond has never looked oily or milky. Good luck with whatever you decide!!!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
OK, you experts, you.... I was Clintonesque with my maybe and might and slightly.
9.gif
I've read conflicting reports on how much Flour is too much Flour in colorless diamonds. But, I don't have access to the studies info that you do. I will defer to the Experts anyday!
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/15/2003 8
6.gif
9:27 PM dimonbob wrote:

Gary is correct.
GIA did a study in the late 90's and the end result was that only very strong (overblue) fluorescence would give the slightly milky or oily look sometimes seen.
Medium blue is a non-issue----------------

Perhaps it is just what I am accustomed to seeing for 20 years or maybe I have bionic eyes. I can & do pick out stones w/ med/strong bl. fluor. To me, they seem more "plugged in", especially in sunlight. I have yet to see a stone w/ a negative impact. Curious, NiceIce - what does your overblue D look like in normal lighting? The only valid "objection" I have heard from consumers is that they did not like the purplish "hue" the stone took on in direct sunlight.

In fact, if I remember that GIA article correctly, wasn't the bl. fluor stones regarded as more pleasing to the experts eyes?

Perhaps all this negative Fluor speak comes from the blue-white scandal. I think the FTC banned that "description". But, yet the description "warped" is still being used.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results