shape
carat
color
clarity

Flourescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Are there any pictures floating around that show the flourescence in a diamond? I don''t even know if it is possible to pick that up with a camera because of lighting issues but I would love to see what a medium flourescence looks like in a E/F diamond vs. a G/H diamond.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Thanks hikerchick, I forgot to ask when we visited the jeweler if they had any stones with flourescence... I''ll have to remember that for next time so I can see one in person. From the pictures I actually think they are quite nice, my favorite color is blue and I love sapphires so maybe it will be something for me to look for.

ChiTownGirl

Rough_Rock

What does it mean when a diamond has florescence? Is it a good thing or bad? Do diamonds cost more if they have fluorescence? Also, are they considered natural stones?

33.gif

Thanks in advance for the information ...

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 4:07:10 PM
Author: ChiTownGirl

What does it mean when a diamond has florescence? Is it a good thing or bad? Do diamonds cost more if they have fluorescence? Also, are they considered natural stones?

33.gif

Thanks in advance for the information ...
Good or bad? Depends on your preference. A little (or a lot) of flourescence can whiten up a lower color stone sometimes; other times, it can make a stone appear "milky". Personally, I''ve only seen the positive side of flour...it gives a little bit of a glow in bright sunlight. I like it! Check out hickerchick''s avatar for a gorgeous example.

Typically, you can save a little bit of $$ by going with a stone that has flourescence, but I''ve never noticed a HUGE price difference.

As for your first and last questions, I''ll let hickerchick and other flour/diamond experts give you the "scientific, textbook" explanation.

-J

ChiTownGirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info.

35.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the compliment Bunnibling . . . I do LOVE the blue glow that strong blue fluor gives a diamond.

To answer the 2 questions that bunnibling didn''t (her other answer were right on):

What does it mean for a diamond to have fluor. It means that if you are ever in a nightclub or any other place there are black lights (UV lights), the diamond will take on a bright blue color. It fluoresces (sp?) . . . otherwise, it will look as white and any other diamond of that color or sometimes whiter. Sometimes in direct sunlight (in mine always in direct sunlight), it takes on a blue glow like a glacial lake (I and many others find this a beautiful trait).

Diamonds with fluor and still natural. Nothing has been done to them to make them that way. It is just the presence of a natural element in the diamond that gives it the quality. I believe it has boron? Maybe one of the experts will correct me if I am wrong. It is NOT a fabricated quality.

I LOVE fluor in diamonds. I think in addition to the noticible describeable difference there is something abotu a diamond with fluor that I acnnot explain, it has this other worldly quality to it. I have now seen about a half dozen diamonds with fluor and I can almost pick it out even in regular light because of that take my breath away quality of the diamond.

mrcysco

Rough_Rock
Keep checking back over the next few days. I should be receiving my GF''s .95 ct AGS 000 E-ring on friday. It''s an I color, VS1. Here''s the kicker it has a VERY STRONG florescence! The stone is breathtaking. it is ideal in every way and sparkles like you wouldn''t believe. If you look at it in direct sunlight, it has all the same sparkle, but has a bluish/violet "glow" to it as well. It''s really hard to describe. You really need to see it. It looks magical!

I''ll be taking pics of it once it gets back from mounting and sizing. stay tuned!

marc

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
see avatar
H color - strong blue

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
see avatar strong blue

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results