shape
carat
color
clarity

flourescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karenm

Rough_Rock
I just bought a JB Star annv. ring and realized that 2 of the diamonds are flourescent. This is my second JB Star ring and the first one has a flourescent stone. Didn't worry too much about it as the stone looks fine. Now with this ring, a 5 stone - 1.6ct., I'm concerned about the stones. Called the jewelry store and it won't be a problem to send it back and have another made with stones that do not flourese. I've paid a lot of money for these two rings and wonder why they use flourescent stones when they are suppose to be F in color and VS2 in clarity.
Any comments?

golfer

Shiny_Rock
Most people on this forum will tell you that fluorescence is not an issue. Indeed, following their advice, I recently purchased an engagement ring that is an E with strong blue fluorescence. I believe -- based on what I read -- that my girlfriend will really like the effect. But I haven't seen the diamond yet. The gemologist informed me that the stone does not appear milky in sunlight (a rare condition involving D-F stones with very strong fluorescence), but I will be getting a second (actually 3rd) opinion.

That being said, if you don't like the fluorescence, you certainly should consider (as you have) returning it. All things being equal, it does marginally reduce the resale value of an F stone, and if you paid for an F as though there was no fluorescence, that's what you should get -- if that's what you want.

karenm

Rough_Rock
The ring was priced at $7999 and the jeweler discounted it to $6790 since I would be paying cash and she said they didn't own the ring because they called the JB Star rep and had the ring sent to their store for me to look at. With that being said, she told me she could give me a better price because they didn't own it.

dannanews

Rough_Rock
Wow, you gave me a great idea. My girlfriend and I just purchased a setting for the diamond I got. The diamond I bought doesn't have any flourescent, but there are 4 small diamonds that are in the band of the setting. It would be really cool if they had strong flourescent. The ring would basically change characteristics under black light. I like the look of colored stones next to the diamond, but we didn't want that for this ring. If we got flouresent side stones it would only be colored under black light, cool.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results