shape
carat
color
clarity

Flourescence!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ladeoux

Rough_Rock
I have the chance to buy a 2.06 round brilliant G SI2 diamond that has somewhat strong flourescence. The stone does not appear to look grey but itdoes exhibit some haze to it. I have seen worse, but I am just curious taking everything into consideration what a stone of this sort would bring: price wise.......first post thanks for all response in advance!

Ladeoux:twirl:

Ladeoux

Rough_Rock
Since I am new to this board, just by reading some of the other posts concerning costs etc....I see I have a lot to learn. This diamond in question has been graded by a certified gemologist in town, but as for the specifics besides weight clarity and color I have no clue. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, for the record the party who has the stone wants $5,000.00.....as a avid diamond buyer but still a novice, I thank you! ------
On 11/27/2001 5:50:33 PM

I have the chance to buy a 2.06 round brilliant G SI2 diamond that has somewhat strong flourescence. The stone does not appear to look grey but itdoes exhibit some haze to it. I have seen worse, but I am just curious taking everything into consideration what a stone of this sort would bring: price wise.......first post thanks for all response in advance!

Ladeoux:twirl:
----------------

:confused: :confused: [:confused:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ladeoux,

"If a diamond has extremely strong flourescence it can appear oily or cloudy, and this is not good."

Although if the price is right and you like the stone you can still consider it. Tell us more about the stone :)[/u]

Ladeoux

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the insight, yes I saw that comment in the tutorial. When you mention tell the board more about the stone, what exactly are you looking for? It is not enhanced in any way shape or form. Moreover, I do not want to shell out $5K for a stone that is per se: worthless. It is a nice stone, with a slight haze to it? I have no idea what more I can add to help me determine whether the stone is a good buy or not. From the tutorial it denotes strong flourescent diamonds are terrible(for lack of a better term). I guess that is why they make message boards......thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Wow, only $5k for 2+ G-SI2! Well if it would be GIA certified it'd be one half of the internet price!

You just might want to make sure the diamond is as represented then it could be a good deal.

You can ask the seller to send it to GIA or AGS on the condition that if lab report will match the description you pay for the grading (about $200) and take the stone; if not - seller pays for the grading and you have no obligation to buy it.

However, if it would be even H-I1 $5k would still be a good deal for this kind of stone.

So shop arrownd, compare this diamond to others and decide for yourself. The price looks too low so you might still want to get opinion of independent gemologist/appraiser.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Are you able to see inclusions with unaided eyes? Are they visible from the face up position or from the side or pavilion?

What are proportions of the stone (depth, table, girdle, etc.)? All small things affect the value. However, I'm still puzzled by the low price.

Ladeoux

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. I presume just like buying anything you have little knowledge of, you need to shop around and ask questions. As far as the dimensions of the stone since it is 10:45 pm eastern I will contact the party who has the stone tommorrow and get specifics. If I am not mistaken he had the stone graded by a graduate GIA gemologist(which does differ from a GIA cert, correct). Personally, with the naked eye I cannot see any flaws in the stone. Once again, thanks for all of the help. It may seem like nothing to you but many thanks and respect from me! Thanks!

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ladeoux, we can give you reasons not to buy or to buy this stone, but a qualified appraiser can give you reasons that we can't think of. People like rockdoc, dave atlas or joebacon. See if the seller is willing to send the stone to one of these appraisers to check it out. After all $5,000 is alot of money! Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results