shape
carat
color
clarity

Flourescence and price, please help????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

db99

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am new to the diamond buying craze. I just went
and looked at a diamond with the following GIA cert.

1.17 car.
6.78 x 6.83
Depth - 62.3%
Table - 56%
Girdle - Very Thin to Medium
Cutlet - None
Polish - Good
Symmetry - Good
Clarity - SI2
Color - D
Flour. - Strong Blue
Price - $5600

My first question is, is this a good price? My second
question is how will the flourescence affect this diamond.
I have read that it may cause the diamond to look cloudy
in daylight. Should I take the diamond to a window and look
at it inside of the jewelery store? I doubt they will let me
take it outside to look at it. Also the jeweler put this stone
next to an I color, IF clarity. I could tell that the D color
was much clearer than the I color. To the naked eye I could not
see the difference between the IF and the SI2, only under the
microscope. So do you think the price is too much for SI2?

Please help

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should use the pricescope search ability to figure out what other diamonds similar to this one sell for. You may find out by comparision of prices that you are doing well or not so well. Most diamonds listed will have little to no fluorescence. You must compare a strongly fluorescent stone to another one with little or none in order to appreciate what is going on. In a D color, fluorescence is not going to be a positive thing. Colorlessness cannot be "improved". You may like the stone, but you ought to look a little or a lot more BEFORE you buy and later regret it.

Fluorescence does have a somewhat negative effect on resale value as it does, but to a lesser extent, on the selling price. When you don't mind buying a fluorescent stone, the dealer says "Buy it". If you want to sell a strongly fluorescent diamond to a dealer many will say "Dorry, but I have enough stones right now." It is a nice way of saying "Not me."

DBOF

Rough_Rock
". If you want to sell a strongly fluorescent diamond to a dealer many will say "Dorry, but I have enough stones right now." It is a nice way of saying "Not me."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If he says Dorry you may have a language barrier
1.gif

Brad

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Dardon me?
2.gif

(I empathize with ya, Dave.....I hate being the victim of a typo!)

DBOF

Rough_Rock
Dorry Dave I was just kidding
1.gif

Some diamonds with strong blue fluorescence don`t look bad. Check it out in different lighting. Outdoors you may see a subtle glow cause of the ultraviolet rays. Sometimes it will improve the color appearance on certain goods like an I-J-K. I have even had people request some fluorescence in stones sometimes, and they like the fact it had some. Compare it next to some others and see what you like.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results