shape
carat
color
clarity

Flexibility of various styles of chain

MelMc

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for opinions on flexibility of various styles of chain. I wear most of my pendants on a 2mm round wheat chain as that seems to give me the best drape without letting the pendants flop around. I have one pendant that every time I look down is turned backwards and the chain is twisted into a figure 8. Not wanting to damage the chain and wanting to show the best of the pendant I have been wearing it on a flat wheat chain. That solves the flipping issue but I've always sort of hated that chain due to it's stiffness. So I'm sort of poking around trying to figure out a chain that would be somewhere between the two in flexibility. All opinions, anecdotes, and ideas welcome.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First tip, ensure the chain has no twists before you put it on. This will help stop the pendant flipping.
Secondly a shorter length also helps stop flipping.
My “best” non flip chain is a flat omega. These are quite rigid and sort of “stick” to your skin, again best worn at a short length.
My favourite type is rope chain. You get a good presence for less weight (cheaper). I also like snake and popcorn link style chains. Even if these styles “roll” they always look correct being a 3D shape.
Curb, Cable and Rolo don’t look right if they roll.
I avoid box chains and ball chain link necklaces because they are more prone to breaking and once broken can’t be seamlessly repaired.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I personally prefer 18-20 inch rope and wheat chains. In your case,, I think a shorter length chain would help alleviate the twisting.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
First tip, ensure the chain has no twists before you put it on. This will help stop the pendant flipping.
Secondly a shorter length also helps stop flipping.
My “best” non flip chain is a flat omega. These are quite rigid and sort of “stick” to your skin, again best worn at a short length.
My favourite type is rope chain. You get a good presence for less weight (cheaper). I also like snake and popcorn link style chains. Even if these styles “roll” they always look correct being a 3D shape.
Curb, Cable and Rolo don’t look right if they roll.
I avoid box chains and ball chain link necklaces because they are more prone to breaking and once broken can’t be seamlessly repaired.

I am watching this thread with interest as chains are a minimally explored piece of jewellery for me.

@Bron357 - just wanted to say I always read your posts with interest. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise here. I am sure that I am not the only one who appreciates it.

MelMc

Rough_Rock
The flipping problem is only with two pendants. Both have a round, free-moving bale as part of the design. I might have to just live with it as something inherent to their design. I do have one heavier rope chain I can try. I've been putting it off because my neck was much daintier back when gold was inexpensive enough to just pick up a bunch of chains for variety. I don't think I'm going to like how much it shrunk in the box.:roll: Darn jewelry moths!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm is there a Show Me Your Chains thread somewhere? Would love to see neck shots of different styles and lengths and mm widths. I’m also shopping for a chain that works with my new pendant which is much much larger than any of my other ones I usually wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results