shape
carat
color
clarity

Flanders and Spring cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

xsscx

Rough_Rock
I was looking at a radiant cut stone. I have heard about the flanders and spring cut stones. I am having a hard time finding these stones to look at. Can I get some input on these cuts compared to the radiant cut and compared to eachother. Is the increase in price worth the value? Thank you.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen the Spring Cut personally, but I have seen the Flanders. It blows most radiant cuts away. You would have to be the one to decide if the price difference is worth it to you. They're priced fairly for what they are.

The Spring Cut looks very impressive in it's light return performance. I'm dying to see one up close and personal.

The Spring Cut is carried by Whiteflash. Ask for Lesley.
http://www.whiteflash.com/

The Flanders Cut is carried by National Diamond Syndicate. Ask for Jeff, if he's still around. I haven't talked to them for a while.
http://www.nationaldiamond.com/

ociopia

Rough_Rock
National Diamond Syndicate requires a user name and password to "get in." Is this a site primarily for vendors and not for the general public?

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
I personally like A nice cut radiant cut,I think it is a very classic lookin stone and if cut the way it should be it blows any other shape away!!!

I have created a quite a few 3 stone rings with radiants and I have never gotten one back yet,they all loved it!!

I can put up a picture of one,if you would like!

1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen a spring cut, but I must say that the pics on whiteflash.com look beautiful!!!
The flanders' brilliant is, in my opinion, much nicer than a well cut radiant... To me a radiant looks like broken glass, even if it has an amazing make...

Giangi
1.gif

ociopia

Rough_Rock
I have seen radiants and to me they are similar to princess cuts - too much of a broad, flat surface and very busy down below. I think of them like a calm surfaced lake with an ice palace on the bottom. However, I can easily say I may have never seen a great one of either.

I have seen flanders and thought they were gorgeous! Highly reflective and extremely bright and lovely. And pricey.

The spring cut photos are hard for me to evaluate as they look so "transparent" like looking into a glass of water with many edges. Much like an emerald cut. Has anyone ever actually seen one? I think they have excellent prices.

I believe I might take the plunge and order a regent. Not having seen one, I won't know until it arrives but it seems to marry the best of many cuts. I will let you know.

wavey.gif
wavey.gif
wavey.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
National Diamond Syndicate requires a user name and password to "get
in." Is this a site primarily for vendors and not for the general
public?
-----------

Now that I think about it, NDS might be a "to the trade only" organization. They would probably give you the names of dealers they sell to if you gave them a call.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes. NDS is to the trade only. They are wholesalers who do not violate the ethics of the trade by selling to the public.
We have access to all their stones. Now ... not all test out like this but I happened to scan in one today for a client that was simply outstanding. Gary, Leonid, Richard ... check out the LightScope results on this for a rare treat... http://www.goodoldgold.com/flanders_1_01ct_e_si1.htm

Enjoy,
Rhino

xsscx

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I live in Chicago and got the boot at NDS today. No public. No problem though. Checked out goodoldgold and saw the flanders that everyone was talking about. Too bad it wasn't a little bigger. I have a setting with side diamonds(2x .42 radiant) and was looking at a radiant cut 1.50 6.68x6.31x4.55. Not quite the diamond I was looking for, but I liked the dimensions of the diamond in the ring... the flanders at GOG is 5.81x5.83x4.14. I am afraid it will look too small. It is for an engagement ring and I really want the center stone to stand out. Have really been looking into the regent and flanders stones, but still having trouble finding them and no one has even heard of the spring cut. The search goes on...................

xsscx

Rough_Rock
Can anyone help me with this? Why does the GIA report say the dimensions of GOG's 1.01ct flanders state 6.36x6.34x3.97, but GOG reprots it as 5.78x5.79x3.96?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It pays to be nice to GIA - they will do nice things for you.

They measured the stone corner to corner. I think that is pretty sick.
Imagine if dealers statred measuring princess corner to corner!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a pretty good looking result Rhino.

But one of my annoying habits - this stone will not give such a great result through an Ideal-Scope.

You can see lots of leakage coming through from the darkfeild microscope lighting because it is directed differently than the light source in you LightScope.
In this case the difference is quite large.

BTW someone mentioned radiants. They are a great cut for bringing out the depth of fancy colors, but would not come close to comparison on brilliance etc to this flanders or what I have seen of spring cuts.

Finally Rhino, any idea why the Brilliancescope light return is only H? Even allowing for my LS criticism, I would still expect this stone to return moore light than princess cuts.

Flanders.jpg

kt

Shiny_Rock
Diamondsman,
I have a radiant cut stone and I'm looking for a setting!! Please help!

I'm looking for something that sits low to the hand, maybe something in a bezel setting? Would you have anything in your experience that could work?

Looking everywhere and not finding much...

THANK YOU!!
confused.gif

kt

Shiny_Rock
Actually, anyone on this string, any recommendations for a radiant cut stone?

The reasons why I don't like a regular prong set:

1. For a 1.09 carat stone, I think it covers up what makes the radiant cut unique (and the Flanders, etc.) - the cut corners. I like the fact that it's 8-sided!

2. I am very active in sports etc. and I'd like a ring that sits lower on my hand and doesn't get in the way. Also, I'd prefer the smoother, more modern look.

3. Otherwise, I'd settle for the Vatche x-prong, but I'm not sure if it'll hold my stone (never read anything about holding a radiant)

4. Finally, I really like the new Lucida bezel set, but no one seems to know where to find something like it and I'm not overpaying at Tiffany (not that they'd take my stone to set anyway) :razz:

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
1.gif

xsscx

Rough_Rock
That's interesting Cut Nut. Why do you think the ideal Scope is a better test than the Lightscope or the Brilliancescope tests and what is HCA? What do you think of the 1.06 Flanders cut on GOG? It scores very high on all BScope tests?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Although we don't sell them on-line, we sell both the Flanders Brilliant and Radiant Cut Diamonds... While they are similar in shape, the two cuts are dramatically different... We recommend trying to see one in-person before deciding between the two... Any one of your local jewelers should be able to source a Flanders from NDS and a Radiant Cut for you to compare the two side-by-side - neither company requires any special dealership type requirements to purchase - just the normal trade references, so it shouldn't be any big deal...

In terms of price, the F.B. will cost considerably more... The cutting process is more involved and more precise than that involved with cutting a Radiant or a Princess cut diamond. In terms of visual performance, princess cut diamonds are at the bottom of our list for square shapes... Radiant Cut Diamonds fall into second place... The Flanders Brilliant, Elara - a name brand version of the FB and the Lucere are our favorite brands of square brilliants - while they do not quite match the visual properties of a round brilliant, they are certainly up there in terms of performance. We don't know about the others, but the Lucere is cut from the same diamond rough as a round brilliant... Perhaps that has something to do with the cost.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a picture of the Spring Cut set in a platinum ring - they really perform!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Spring-3_f.jpg

kt

Shiny_Rock
Lesley,
Do you sell this particular setting? Where can I find it?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Lesley!!!!! Oh my God!!!!!! That ring is beautiful!!!!!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

xsscx

Rough_Rock
Thanks LesleyH. The only problem that I have with whiteflash is that they do not provide any ideal scope, brilliancescope, or lightscope analysis of their diamonds on the website. I have no idea what the criteria for a well cut springcut would be. So, I am hesitant about buying a stone without knowing any or all this information. Can whiteflash provide me with this information on a stone I am interested in? Thank you.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondsman,

Please post a picture, I would be interested in seeing it. I considered radiant for a minute but thought it looked like shattered glass.

I am so torn between Flanders and Asscher. I love the art deco appeal of asscher cut but am not so sure I want to be without flash.

Springcut-more pictures please.

Any input is welcome by anyone on this thread. When I first started looking, it was asscher or flanders.

Mexi

Shiny_Rock
I love the Flanders. The Asscher is beautiful also, just in a more subtle way. I have never seen a Spring cut and have not read about anyone buying one on all the diamond forums.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
Hi
here is the picture of the 3 stone rad. ring you requested!

It is much more beautiful in reality!!
1.gif

xrad3st.jpg

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
No spring cuts besides Lesley's?

Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results