shape
carat
color
clarity

Five years, five beautiful OECs

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hello all! I used to post pretty often on PS - this wonderful community was very good for me when I was a just married newlywed, moved to a new city, and needed a "water cooler" of friends to chat with (who also happened to love bling, of course!). It's been awhile since I had anything to share, but since I lurked a TON for this project (okay, and because I don't have any friends IRL who will understand my excitement) I'm back to PS to share my new, er old, anniversary ring.

This is a lot of back story, but why not? I'm not sure when DH and I started discussing an upgrade, but due to PS it happened pretty darned quick. When we moved here, I was stringing together part-time teaching jobs, so we used to joke that an upgrade would be my "Tenure or Ten-Year Anniversary ring" - whichever came first (I use the term upgrade very loosely, since my DH haates the idea - he worked very hard to save for my beautiful ER and WB, so he was not on board with something that was just a bigger version of my current set).

Pretty soon after we moved, I found a wonderful local jeweler, J H Revell in Bettendorf, IA, and pretty quickly started plotting what kind of tenure/ten year ring I wanted to start saving for. I love Richard Homer stones (James did a gorgeous custom ring for my mom's Richard Homer pink tourmaline), so DH and got the idea of a sapphire and diamond ring, since those are our birthstones. Then for a birthday, DH gave me a diamond-haloed amethyst RHR that I love, and the sapphire just didn't seem what I wanted anymore.

After seeing the 5-stone rings taking off on PS, I dragged DH to see some rings. The finger coverage was exactly I wanted and it was the not-engagement ring style that DH liked. But we were halfway through year 3 of our marriage, so 5 seemed a little meaningless in terms of symbolism. Then DH said "I'm pretty sure I made you 5 promises in our wedding vows" - and I went back, and he was totally right. Around this same time, I settled into a job that I love (in education, but not faculty - so there went my "tenure" idea!), and DH started asking what kind of budget I realistically wanted to set if we were to do something for our 5th anniversary. So the new plot was to get a 5-stone ring.

James had recently expanded into estate pieces shortly after we moved here, and I fell in love with old cuts as they were getting popular on PS, too. Three or four years ago, DH bought me a little estate ring from Revell from the 20s-30s, and as an old-cut lover, I was always drooling over the gorgeous old cuts in both original and re-made settings at Revell, so pretty much everyone at the store knew how much I love old cuts (we've been told that I'm one of the 5 customers they have who are obsessed with them) and it was a no-brainer to source OECs for the ring. At Revell, they get a steady stream of old cuts, since do buy gold and diamonds. Jeff, who is a buyer/jeweler at Revell, once made a comment at one point that he has a theory that in Iowa, we have a strange availability of old cuts because in 60s and 70s when everyone was re-cutting, Iowans were less likely to bother with changing their diamonds and just left them alone. Whatever the reason, Revell/Jeff always has a beautiful collection of stunning old cuts and knowledgeable staff who appreciate them.

DH and I explained that we had a very long timeline for this ring - at this point, a year and a half - and Jeff said that it was perfect. I'd been pricing out 5-stones with modern RBs, and had an expected budget, so we were shocked when the quote Jeff gave us came in at much less. So this started the diamond hunt. Every few months, we'd stop in, and Jeff would show us a new diamond and they'd get set aside. We were shooting for about 2 cts.

My birthday fell around Easter this year, so mid-project, DH gave me a mini-version of Jame's signature cross in rose gold and Jeff found a little old cut (I think it's more of an OMC) for it. Then in about May, the ball really started rolling. We were up to 4 stones, and with our June anniversary coming soon, we started working on the setting. I brought in a zillion photos from PS, got CADs, the wax - and ended up with a ring on my finger just in time for our anniversary.

I have about a zillion photos, so hopefully I remember how to post them - but what follows is my 2.01 ct, OEC with 18 kt white gold prongs/trellis and rose gold band, size 8 made by J H Revell. CADs are also by J H Revell.

IMG_4471.JPG

IMG_4525.JPG

IMG_4527.JPG

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Whew! Picture upload is easier...I don't know that I'd posted photos since the overhaul.

Okay, next is CADs/wax

-1.jpg

-2.jpg

-3.jpg

IMG_4523.JPG

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't wait for more pics!!!!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
There was a slight hiccup in design - on the day it was supposed to be finished, I was working so hard that I didn't check my cell phone all day and missed the calls/e-mails that Aaron, the bench jeweler, had sent me. Aaron wanted to revise the design a little, but knew that I'm a) picky b) obsessive, so didn't want to finish the ring until he had my go-ahead. By the time I saw the calls/e-mail it was the end of the day, so I got to see my ring in progress. Here's the pics:

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

IMG_4579.JPG

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee, AmysBling, I hope I don't disappoint! I have a TON of photos ready :wavey:

Okay, so here's my completed ring! Some of my photos reflect black, and I want to be clear that it's my camera and not the diamonds!

It's taken me awhile to get used to the setting, honestly. It's up pretty high and a little more linear than I expected. But the more I wear it, the more it grows on me. There's a minor prong issue that I want to fix (one side has slightly longer prongs than the other...yupp, I'm totally neuorotic), and I plan to have the band engraved. I'm also leaning on asking to have the diamonds set slightly lower, but haven't made my mind up yet.

IMG_4626.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Real-life perspective

IMG_4630.JPG

IMG_4880.JPG

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm LOVING the photo blitz!!! Its beautiful!! I see what you mean about the diamonds being set higher--- but you get to see MORE of them that way - win/win!!!

Keep the pics coming - its a GORGEOUS ring, Elmorton!!! :love: :love: :love:

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
An inside photo, some of my other pieces that I mentioned (OEC ring, amethyst, original set)

IMG_4928.JPG

IMG_4551.JPG

IMG_4558.JPG

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
On to the "my neighbors think I'm nuts" photos - flower shots!

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_4956.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Mas..

IMG_4959.JPG

IMG_4961.JPG

IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_4969.JPG

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
And a few more...

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

IMG_4987.JPG

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's gorgeous!! I love the setting...it totally showcases the stones! :appl: :love:

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Okay...last batch for now :halo:

IMG_4980.JPG

IMG_4983.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4984.JPG

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi - haha, I'm glad you enjoyed the photo blitz! I was afraid it would be overkill. Thank you for your thoughts on the setting - ultimately, I think I agree - it's just taken time to get used to the higher setting when my e-ring sits so low.

Yennyfire - thank you for your kind words and for your feedback on the setting! It is fun to see the diamonds "uninhibited" :loopy:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!

If my mum hadn't demanded yellow gold I'd have gone with rose in a heartbeat for hers, your ring just confirms it! It's beautiful and (and oh-so-substantial) on your hand :love: :naughty: :sun:

ETA: hah, no such thing as too many pics! ::)

April20

Ideal_Rock
It turned out beautifully! And I love the rose gold!

You are ever so much more patient than I would be, collecting stones over the months. :cheeky:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Looks lovely on your hand!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's stunning, the diamonds are amazing and the setting is to die for!! Congrats!!!!! :appl: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful! :love: I, too, love the rose gold with the OEC's! I think I would also want the stones set lower, though.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! It has fabulous hand presence and it's so blingy! Talk about good finger coverage. :naughty:

Congrats and enjoy it!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty, I had no idea about this jeweler. I live an hour outside of Betterndorf and we go to the QC for shopping. Good to know!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh, I love it!! :love:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty! You must be thrilled!!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
What a fun project! Beautiful ring.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
How exciting!!! I love it! Your pictures are amazing! We had some fantastic weather this weekend so out was out taking flower shots too....my neighbor actually did yell over and ask me what I was doing!! :lol: It's beautiful and I love the rose gold too! :love:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
El! It's so good to see you back, and with such BEAUTIFUL pictures!!!!

I love your ring. The stones--drool. The rose gold--drool. It looks so good on your hand. Love love love love love it!

And you have quite the collection there, lady. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
elmorton that is a gorgeous ring!!! i love it :love:

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the kind words! :wavey:

Yssie - Thank you! I LOVED your mum's ring! In fact, it was one of the pictures I took in as inspiration. I should have clarified - in one of my posts I said that I wanted to engrave the band, but what I meant was an inscription inside the band. After seeing your mum's ring I inquired about engraving, but unfortunately it was out of budget (the engraver Revell uses is not in-house...but the work was breathtaking). Maybe for a future project! I think your mum's ring is perfect in every way.

April20 - Thank you! I went back to look at receipts in order to see when we made our initial deposit to start collecting stones, and it was March 2011, though I think DH and I started discussing options/ideas around January 2011 or even Christmas 2010 if my memory serves me right. I'm not at all a patient person, but the collecting was really the most fun part! At one point, Jeff asked us to come in because a customer had purchased an OEC bracelet - I wish I had photos of it; it was amazing. I want to say it was something like 17 ctw - it was graduated, and the center stones were massive. Anyway, the bracelet was too small for the customer, so she was adding links from a smaller, similar bracelet, and so Jeff wanted me to see if I liked any of the stones from the smaller bracelet because it needed to be dismantled anyway. Stuff like that really made this project fun. It was only the last two weeks where I started getting nervous and stressed because everything was finally coming to fruition.

Alene - Thank you! I'm having a blast wearing it.

DandiAndi- Thank you! I've loved the trellis setting forever - when we were looking at engagement rings, I really loved the idea of a trellis with ECs, but it wasn't in the cards. It certainly does pack a sparkle punch! Since my ER is an EC, I'm not used having fireworks on my hand.

DiamondSeeker2006 - Thanks! I worried a little bit about the rose gold because it's so trendy right now (although that meant it was easy to find a watch with rose gold!), but yellow doesn't look right on me, and I like the two-tone look...so I just hope that rose gold is here to stay a bit. I think I'm going to strike a happy medium with the height. After wearing it, I've gotten used to the height and like it, but as there is a prong length issue that I want to have fixed anyway, I have a feeling that all the stones will get slightly lowered as a result. I haven't taken it in yet because I can't bear to part with it quite yet.

Laila619 - Thank you! The finger coverage is pretty crazy. I was a little worried about DSS, but it hasn't happened yet. My ER is a .62 EC solitaire, so it's a pretty significant change in blingage.

Lknvrb4 - Hi to a local PSer! :wavey: Definitely put Revell on your list for your next shopping trip to the QC! They're very easy to get to - right off of 74 on Middle Road in Duck Creek Plaza. They close early on Saturdays though (4pm, I think). I just love the people there - we mostly work with Sarah, who is wonderful. Everyone is knowledgeable, friendly - and the selection is fantastic. Make sure to ask to see James' original things (he does beautiful modern work with diamonds, opals, pearls). The stock pieces that they carry are fantastic, and then as an old-cut lover, I'm always finding goodies in the estate cases (I think he's up to 3-4 estate cases now). James also carries cameos and loose stones. If you're looking for old cuts specifically, ask for Jeff. Revell is just overall a great local business and I couldn't be happier to take my business there. They're involved in local charity, support the community, and are just good people.

Rubybeth - Thank you! I'm rather fond of it, too :love:

Tyty333- Thank you! I am definitely thrilled!

Rosebloom - Yes, it was a very fun project! Thank you. Part of me is going to miss having something to plan/look forward to, but wearing this beauty is definitely a good trade-off!

Christina - LOL! I was on vacation during the day, so the only people in my neighborhood were the retirees - I kept on thinking what they must be saying, like "Oh Harold, what is that silly woman doing now? She's hung something in a tree and is taking photos of it!" That is so funny that your neighbors actually asked! How did you explain?

Haven - Hi, friend! During one of my PS lurks, I caught your beautiful new ring - and I wasn't surprised to see that you were attracted to rose gold and old cuts as well! Your new ring is pure perfection. :) Glad to see things are going well for you! I miss reading your posts. Looks like I need to hurry up and get to the FHH boards!

Skippy - Thank you!

Purplesilk - Thank you! :appl:

Thank you thank you again for all the kind things everyone has to say! I want to add a few more photos (I have some cool ones on my phone), but I need to figure out how to get them to the computer first.

Any tips on getting the crazy prismatic color photos that everyone does of their old cuts? I've gotten a few colorful ones on accident, but figure there has to be an actual method for doing that.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your gorgeous ring! Love the OEC's and rose gold....Yummy! Talk about bling :sun:
Added to my future project list :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results