shape
carat
color
clarity

Fisheye?

Hammieboy

Rough_Rock
B7F15619-092C-496F-9CB8-5BBFBCF7C54D.jpeg Hey everyone! I’m in the process of learning about OEC’s before making a purchase. So much info here which is amazing.

Want to verify that I actually am learning something as it all seems somewhat overwhelming. Is this fisheye? Or something else? Or maybe it’s just what happens at certain angles and I’m actually learning nothing.

Thanks for indulging a newbie question ...

KC

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B7F15619-092C-496F-9CB8-5BBFBCF7C54D.jpeg Hey everyone! I’m in the process of learning about OEC’s before making a purchase. So much info here which is amazing.

Want to verify that I actually am learning something as it all seems somewhat overwhelming. Is this fisheye? Or something else? Or maybe it’s just what happens at certain angles and I’m actually learning nothing.

Thanks for indulging a newbie question ...

KC
I think it depends on what distance the photo above was taken from, and what it was taken with.

A DSLR camera 6 inches from the stone is going to create a lot more obstruction/contrast/dark areas than a mobile phone held a foot away and then the photo cropped.

Can you get an ASETscope image?

Hammieboy

Rough_Rock
I can definitely ask re:ASET

It’s 1.8 L Si1 and they’ve told me it has slight warmth but mostly white on face up and eye clean. I can def purchase for well under 6k so that still feels like a bit too good to be true price? Or maybe I’m wrong...but that made me look back for what could be “wrong” with the stone.

Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can definitely ask re:ASET

It’s 1.8 L Si1 and they’ve told me it has slight warmth but mostly white on face up and eye clean. I can def purchase for well under 6k so that still feels like a bit too good to be true price? Or maybe I’m wrong...but that made me look back for what could be “wrong” with the stone.

Thanks!
Does it come with a GIA or other report to verify color/clarity, and are you buying from a trusted vendor with a good return policy? If so, I'm less concerned bc you can always order and then return. But if you are buying privately from someone unknown on eBay, I'm much more worried.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fisheye effect comes with shallow crown and shallow pavilion which combine to reflect darkness caused by the presence of an observer. The dark edge of the fisheye is the reflection of the diamond's girdle seen under the table.

Fisheye: General idea of contrast/reflection.
ps-fisheye-example.jpg

Nailhead effect is caused when the pavilion gets so deep it causes both obstruction (darkness caused by the presence of an observer) as well as leakage, or windowing. The nailhead effect causes more centrally pooled darkness than the fisheye.

Nailhead: General idea of contrast/leakage.
ps-nailhead-example.jpg

It's also possible to have a combination of shallow pavilion with a very steep crown, creating the fisheye effect along with central darkness. Nicknamed a shallow nailhead by some.

Shallow Nail: General idea of contrast/leakage.
ps-shallownail.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are a lof OEC diamonds out there with slightly shallow pavilions that respond to obstruction more than modern ideal cuts.
View them up close and they can be a bit dark under the table, at arms length, pendant and earring distance they can be firecrackers.
This is one of them.
Some of them are fine without the added contrast of a camera vs a person up close and some are still dark up close.
No way to tell from a photo what this one will do.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Under the table this one is going to be wall to wall blue of various shades in ASET if that helps understand it.

Hammieboy

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all of the info. Makes sense! This vendor has a 7 day return period for full refund. I’ll have to decide if it’s worth having sent to check it out. I’m willing to be patient but also love the sport of finding a deal.
KC

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results