shape
carat
color
clarity

First Timer: Selecting an ACA, please help :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lite_speed

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This is my first post, and I must say that the folks in PS are as fantastic as the diamonds discussed. I do need some opinions on a stone for a novice like me here (and please don''t mind the puny size of the stones I am considering) on three ACAs I am seriously considering. Please help and any comments are much appreciated!

ACA H&A 0.61 I VS1 $1730

ACA H&A 0.57 G VS2 $1975

ACA H&A 0.53 F VS2 $2170

I have a budget of around $2k. I have short listed 3 stones and I have 3 questions:

1: Does I color look reasonably good? I have no prior experience and do not want people to go: Oh! you got a colored stone.

2. Which one of the stones offer the best performance-to-price ratio?

3. I am leaning towards candidate one, am I a sucker for big carats versus color?

Thanks lots!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about this one if you are considering an I; ask if it is eye clean and only $1450 and it is .62 carats
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-347693.htm

If you talk to WF they should be able to tell you and then you have a big beautiful stone for cheaper.
36.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Is your budget 2k for just the stone, or the stone and setting together?

At this range, I''d try to drop color and clarity to the lowest you''re comfortable with (I-J/SI1-SI2 would be where I''d draw the line) and bump the size up a bit.

The ones you posted all look good, but I like Skippy''s idea even better since it saves you some cash, so you can put a bit more into the setting.

Alternatively, if you can push the budget up just a tad, here''s a slightly larger rock that looks pretty good to me:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2788/

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS lite_speed!

Color is a personal preference. Keep in mind an ACA diamond is well cut so an I color would face up very white compared to an average cut I diamond. To maximize your budget, I would go with an eye clean SI1 or SI2 clarity to get the highest color and biggest size. I like the diamond Skippy posted as long as it''s eye clean.

lite_speed

Rough_Rock
thanks Skippy123 and jstarfireb for yours suggestions! Really appreciate them :)

The budget of 2k is for the stone. For color, I think I am ok with H-I and hopefully not dropping into SI range for clarity (maybe its pyschological :p)

Another quick question, the IS pictures on WF varies from lighter shade of red to very red. Am I ok to say that so long it is consistently colored on the IS, the shade of red doesn''t matter for light return? Or should i go the reddest red IS? thanks!

lite_speed

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/26/2007 12:19:31 AM
Author: snlee
Welcome to PS lite_speed!

Color is a personal preference. Keep in mind an ACA diamond is well cut so an I color would face up very white compared to an average cut I diamond. To maximize your budget, I would go with an eye clean SI1 or SI2 clarity to get the highest color and biggest size. I like the diamond Skippy posted as long as it''s eye clean.

Thanks! that''s great advise on the I color part. So I should ask WF for a "eye clean" clarification over an email on a stone i target?

oh, by the way, how do i get PS discount on WF? sorry, tried searching and seems not much concrete info

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I would confirm with WF over email or phone that your diamond is eye clean and from what distance. If you mention PS and pay by bank wire, you get a 5% discount on ACA diamonds. If you prefer a VS diamond, I would definitely lower the color (as it seems you plan to) so you can get a larger size.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results