shape
carat
color
clarity

First Timer - need help PLEASE !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ksainath

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,
This is my first time buying a rock and I plan to propose to my gf in a few weeks. I have been researching a lot on these forums and pricescope for over 6 months and I finally went with Whiteflash. I spoke to Traci and she has been really helpful. I spoke to Martin at USACertd first but many of the rings I picked didn''t have the crown and pav numbers because they were all old certificates from 2003 ( so I was told). I got so frustrated I went with Whiteflash and the one ring I wanted also turned out to have no crown and pav numbers. But Traci helped up with recommendations of her own. Here are three recommendations she had. I think I am going for the middle one but wanted all of you weigh in. I like the ideal 1:00 carat and the measurements look really good except for the color I. But Traci tells me she can hardly make a differencve between I and H. She also recommended the middle one..what do you guys think. I have put the middle one on hold.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=175732,155622,140227#

Also I am thinking of the white gold "sleek" lines solitaire as the setting. Which setting do you think is th emost prettiest and that will bring out the rock''s beauty the best. I picked this just cuz I wanted it to be a lilttle different than the common "tiffany" style.

http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=CWHSolitaire&CategID=13

I WOULD REALLY APPRECATE ALL YOUR RESPONSES AND RECOMMENDATIONS SOON !!!

thanks

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the one on the left the best, and the middle is a close second. I don't like the one on the right.

Don't worry about I color, it will look fabulously white in a well-cut stone!! Check out Lynnb's or Mara's threads of their gorgeous 2+ carat J colored stones. This will show you that an I will be absolutely fine.

ETA: The setting is very pretty and delicate. It will definitely put emphasis on the center stone.

ksainath

Rough_Rock
OK. Do you think it matters that middle one is a perfect 1:00 Vs the left one is not an ideal but a 1.143 ?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 6:35:08 PM
Author: ksainath
OK. Do you think it matters that middle one is a perfect 1:00 Vs the left one is not an ideal but a 1.143 ?
I liked the one on the left slightly better because of my cut preferences, but others might slightly disagree with me.

As far as the difference between a 1.00 and a 1.143...this depends on your price preference and your gf''s preference for size. There will only be a slight difference in size, but it is still a consideration.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The left 1.143 has ideal finish. The 1 ct only has VG finish, so I'm not sure why you keep referring to that one as the ideal stone but the 1.14 isn't ideal? Both look very nice. I'm not one to pay for a perfect 1 ct, though... I'd rather look for something in the .9 range.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
It sounds from your post that you think that a stone that is exactly 1.00 ct has more value. These numbers are talking about the size of the diamond. The higher the number the bigger the diamond. The 1.143 actually means that is is just a larger stone (which most would consider a good thing). I don't understand your confusion. I vote for the 1.143 stone on the left. I recently purchased an I color stone from WF and it was stunning. As said in a previous post- although the experts call an I a warmer stone, it is definately not yellow and noticeable only when compared to a colorless diamond- even then the difference is slight to the average person.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 6:39:36 PM
Author: kcoursolle

I liked the one on the left slightly better because of my cut preferences, but others might slightly disagree with me.

As far as the difference between a 1.00 and a 1.143...this depends on your price preference and your gf''s preference for size. There will only be a slight difference in size, but it is still a consideration.
Ditto, about the correction others have mentioned. 1.00 and 1.143 are carat weights. Carat weight is the actual weight or mass of the stone. Diameter is how large the stone appears face up. As far as the VG/ID stuff, that is not the cut grade overall, it is the grade on the polish and symmetry, which are considered secondary characteristics of cut. VG or ID are both fine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clearly the 1.143 ct I SI1 Round Ideal Cut is the best of the three stones you listed. It will have a larger appearance than the middle stone. It is just an easy choice because it is better than the other two.

ksainath

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone for responding...
I certainly agree that the left one is the best of the three but just not able to decide if the $500 price difference will be noticiable between the left one and the middle one

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the 1.14 is cheaper/ct. I''d go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results