shape
carat
color
clarity

First-timer, engagement ring...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcarrey4

Rough_Rock
Ok, so, check it out, I have done tons of research, gone out to multitudes of brick-and-mortar stores, and checked out 3 or so websites (BlueNile, Whiteflash...shoot, forgot the other one) and I''ve found one that I like...I think...that''s where you guys come in. First of all, I understand that cut is pretty much #1 on my list of importance so it looks amazing, but, while there are so many places to look for a mathematically perfect standard for round cut, for princess cut, the information is not readily available. Is there a place I can learn what (numeric) depth, crown, table, girdle, etc is "good" for a princess cut?

Secondly, does BlueNile, or anywhere else online, for that matter, allow you to haggle, or are their prices pretty much firm? I don''t want to go in there firing off a low-ball number and get laughed away, but, I also don''t want to overpay.

Third, what are your opinions on platinum? I''m a Chemical Engineer, so, I have a nerdy hangup for platinum over white gold, and I know she''ll appreciate it, but it''s so expensive! I have a platinum band with 10 channelled princess cut diamonds (5 on each side, 1/2 ct total weight) (ave=H, SI2, i believe) and the cost says 2100 (3850 for that and the 12-diamond (1/2 ct total weight) wedding band) and i was wondering if this is a reasonable price, or if i could, at least, haggle the price of that down a bit.

Fourth, if I buy from a place that has crappy service (I hear BlueNile may be helpful, but does not hae the special things, like upgrade policies, etc.) is there somewhere else I can cut a deal with or something so that I can have that piece of mind or am I SOL?

Thanks!

-Colin

neren

Rough_Rock
I will suggest Whiteflash, I just recently got my ring from there and they are amazing. Whiteflash will give you a discount if you mention PS.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, you found PS
36.gif

Mmm, I''ve never known anyone to negotiate with Blue Nile.

I don''t see a preference for plat over gold based on nerd appeal. Honestly, there are much more fun chemicals out there.
2.gif

jcarrey4

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, I was looking at Whiteflash, and it looks like they do not offer any credit options, whereas Bluenile does. Their Diamond selsctions looks great, though the diamond I found at BN was cheaper for "the same" diamond. The difference was in the cut, while both their "ideal" cuts, the depth and table were way different. So...yeah, any insights on the "best" values for those?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with an AGS ideal stone or a Bn signature ideal

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
If you''re going with bn, get on their mailing list. Right now, you can get 10% of a setting and they send me a new deal each week. You''ll never get a price cut on a diamond from them, though, sorry.

I would go with ideal over their signature ideal, which didn''t exist that long ago, and they still had thousands of satisfied customers. They charge a huge premium for it, and are not clear on what makes something a signature ideal.

IMO, platinum is worth the extra money because I''m not interested in having my ring replated every so and so months. With regular plating, over a lifetime, the platinum might cost less. And gold can wear away, requiring a new setting. My rule is wg for sometimes pieces, platinum for always pieces. 2100 is a huge chunk for a setting. I''d go with something simpler unless you know that''s what she wants.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results