shape
carat
color
clarity

First time visiting gem show

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Wanna share my first experience attending a gem show, just now. It’s a show in Hong Kong, And although it’s said to be an international one, I didn’t find many overseas vendors, neither on the participant list or in the venue. I though found many local jewellery companies operated by Indian jewellers.

TBH, I was not seriously considering buying, but rather to experience how it works in such a exhibition. I tried to look for pink stones as I always wanted, either spinel or sapphire, but could hardly find many with good colours for sapphires, and couldn’t even locate any spinels. It could be due to the fact that today’s the last day of the show may be, but could also be my lack of experience on how to locate them.

It’s noted that some people did bring their loupe for their hunt, may be I should if I had any particular gem to look for. But as a normal consumer, it might still be hard to seriously evaluate gemstones during the show, considering the lighting there, any share on such skills would be welcomed.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Some sapphires found with relatively nicer colours, all untreated. Amounts in Usd. Any thought? DBAC9295-5711-4842-9716-D5070619B8EC.jpeg AC8CCCE3-8AFE-424C-A77E-01327152A8A8.jpeg 8BB59BA9-21FF-436D-80D9-2A5B8BFBD53F.jpeg

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Some sapphires found with relatively nicer colours, all untreated. Amounts in Usd. Any thought? DBAC9295-5711-4842-9716-D5070619B8EC.jpeg AC8CCCE3-8AFE-424C-A77E-01327152A8A8.jpeg 8BB59BA9-21FF-436D-80D9-2A5B8BFBD53F.jpeg

The 1st one is 1.8ct, from Burma, most vivid colour of the three actually. I know the photos bad, and now I know how hard to capture accurate colour on pic. The vendor got it as ruby to some extent due to its colour intensity, but come back as sapphire as it’s still a bit pinker than what many perceive as ruby.

2nd one, Madagascar, price per ct not much difference from the 1st one.

3rd one, most expensive at around usd 8200 for everyone’s info

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
In times when I’ve visited a gem show and forgot my loupe, I’d sometimes ask to borrow one from the seller for a moment.

also, re: the lighting, I’ll usually ask if I can take the gem a few steps away from the booth to look at it away from the ideal lighting, and it’s always been fine with vendors.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
In times when I’ve visited a gem show and forgot my loupe, I’d sometimes ask to borrow one from the seller for a moment.

also, re: the lighting, I’ll usually ask if I can take the gem a few steps away from the booth to look at it away from the ideal lighting, and it’s always been fine with vendors.

Thx~ I just couldn’t find my Belomo loupe being going to the show:( May be need to buy a new one. But I still didn’t ask for it from the sellers as I went there a bit late and wanted to visit more booths instead of staying in anyone for too long.

You do reminded me that I should be able to take the gem a few steps away, I asked to hold the gems and roll it on my hand for viewing, but didn’t think about stepping away from the booths. Thx for the tips:)

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
And I do want to know how you guys think about the prices of these few stones, considering their colour and all with reputable report.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I do want to know how you guys think about the prices of these few stones, considering their colour and all with reputable report.

From where I sit in the US, those prices look quite good.

I know nothing about vendor's honesty, reports, etc. -- my impression is assuming everything you said is accurate.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
From where I sit in the US, those prices look quite good.

I know nothing about vendor's honesty, reports, etc. -- my impression is assuming everything you said is accurate.

Thx, I was trying to get an understanding on prices visiting gem show really. Also train my eyes on what’s good what’s bad, what I like etc. It’s another world compared to looking at pics on line.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Regarding reports, I did got one from the seller of the first stone. 79497402-1612-400B-9522-A56E51C52637.jpeg
I didn’t talk about the report with seller cox it was sent after I left their booth. But the date of it catches my eyes, 3rd May 2012. 9 years ago, does this mean this stone sit with them for 9 years? If so, is this common, and what does this indicate? That Hard to sell for a nice coloured and rather affordable sized stone? Welcomed everyone weigh in.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t talk about the report with seller cox it was sent after I left their booth. But the date of it catches my eyes, 3rd May 2012.

I share your reservations about the age of the report. I have had vendors puzzle over my reservations.

Can have him weigh it and measure the long axis with calipers in front of you.

It could have been passed around. Looks good on paper and faces up pretty large. Is it pretty clean with no window?

GRS is not tippy-top but I would assume it is unheated Burma even without GIA, AGL, etc.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I share your reservations about the age of the report. I have had vendors puzzle over my reservations.

Can have him weigh it and measure the long axis with calipers in front of you.

It could have been passed around. Looks good on paper and faces up pretty large. Is it pretty clean with no window?

GRS is not tippy-top but I would assume it is unheated Burma even without GIA, AGL, etc.
Not small but still would prefer a bigger one after seeing a stone in person if I am in the market, considering if this would be the common price level. I have a pic on hand.
D393671E-E2D4-4840-9822-EA66A0BFB8B3.jpeg
I didn’t inspect it up close to particularly look for window or inclusion, and the intense colour may hide them to some extent I guess. I will say the shape is not highly symmetrical, that a small window may be a reasonable estimate.

If I didn’t get you wrongly, I wonder base on what would you assume its unheated Burma even without top lab reports?

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
One more finding to share, a pink stone ring, costing hkd 550,000! I didn’t enquire about it, as it can easily be seen that I was not going to buy it seriously. But I wanna know what happened causing this price. Could it be a ruby? It looked not larger than the 6ct in the above posts, and it looked too pink for a ruby! FF7D13CA-16E6-47A4-A55A-C0C25C9007F2.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock

In that lighting, only the middle one looks pink to me. The top and bottom gems look purple. First and second gems are good prices. Last gem not worth it imo due to the relative price and unevenness of color.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
One more finding to share, a pink stone ring, costing hkd 550,000! I didn’t enquire about it, as it can easily be seen that I was not going to buy it seriously. But I wanna know what happened causing this price. Could it be a ruby? It looked not larger than the 6ct in the above posts, and it looked too pink for a ruby! FF7D13CA-16E6-47A4-A55A-C0C25C9007F2.jpeg

Mostly branding. Some due to stone quality, origin, etc but mostly the pricing is driven by branding. You always see staggering prices at the booths with the branded jewelers. I just walk around those to admire. It’s like why people buy diamonds from Cartier or Graff that’s much more expensive than the diamond dealers. Don’t they all come from the ground? It’s the brand and that matters to certain consumer segments.

Is the show at Wanchai? How many halls did it take up? I’ve been to the old ones where ALL the halls at the expo near airport and Wanchai are filled with booths. Ahhh, good times.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t inspect it up close to particularly look for window or inclusion, and the intense colour may hide them to some extent I guess. I will say the shape is not highly symmetrical, that a small window may be a reasonable estimate.

If I didn’t get you wrongly, I wonder base on what would you assume its unheated Burma even without top lab reports?

Oh, I thought that is what you said. Not sure how I got that idea? If it is asymmetric and included, then the color and ct-weight are not such great proxies for price and I stand corrected.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Mostly branding. Some due to stone quality, origin, etc but mostly the pricing is driven by branding. You always see staggering prices at the booths with the branded jewelers. I just walk around those to admire. It’s like why people buy diamonds from Cartier or Graff that’s much more expensive than the diamond dealers. Don’t they all come from the ground? It’s the brand and that matters to certain consumer segments.

Is the show at Wanchai? How many halls did it take up? I’ve been to the old ones where ALL the halls at the expo near airport and Wanchai are filled with booths. Ahhh, good times.

HAA~May be. I didn't really look at their name, not a big booth size wise, but I do believe the size of company is not always proportionate to the size of their booth. That price really scared me, I will be hopeless to own one nice pink sapphire if that's the normal price level, not to mentioned Jedi pink spinel.

I have an understanding that origin of pink sapphire doesn't matter as much as say ruby, blue sapphire right, though I am not sure if that rock's sapphire honestly.

You are right that the show's in Wanchai, are you in HK also? It occupied Hall D,E,F,G on 3/F. I didn't have experience but think it's not a small one. It's actually 2 shows, for finished jewelry & gem stones respectively. I wish more foreign sellers join in, and also interested to see more roughs on similar events (although I don't think I will buy a rough and send it to cutters for custom cutting, better leave it for experts)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You are right that the show's in Wanchai, are you in HK also? It occupied Hall D,E,F,G on 3/F. I didn't have experience but think it's not a small one. It's actually 2 shows, for finished jewelry & gem stones respectively. I wish more foreign sellers join in, and also interested to see more roughs on similar events (although I don't think I will buy a rough and send it to cutters for custom cutting, better leave it for experts)

No am in Singapore but I used to fly to HK to shop. In the past the finished jewelry, findings, packaging, equipment etc was in Wanchai (all halls and floors) and the gems (rough and cut) at Asia Expo. Huge. Biggest in the world. Buyers and sellers worldwide would fly in to buy/sell. Even the “smallest” Nov show (there are shows every quarter) that was less trade focused occupied the whole of Wanchai. If it’s just one floor now, then it has shrunk drastically.

I recall back then the 1st floor in Wanchai had all the big brands with the luxury booths. It was like walking through a gem exhibit. Stunningly beautiful stuff… as you move up the floors the booths became smaller and stuff more affordable and that’s where the crowds are. Shoulder to shoulder and PACKED. But super fun to shop as you can see everything.

Usually I bring at least my loupe, a pen/notebook (if you need to rem/record stuff or can use hp), and UV light to shop. I don’t bring other gem equipment since I try to buy certified stones only.

Backup charger for phone, comfy walking shoes, water bottle. Depending on my mood some other stuff as well including stuff like small light tent (lol) as I hate the exhibition lights.

First time is a bit mind boggling. Once you get a sense of things and also identify certain vendors that you like (style, price, etc)/trust, it gets easier.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
No am in Singapore but I used to fly to HK to shop. In the past the finished jewelry, findings, packaging, equipment etc was in Wanchai (all halls and floors) and the gems (rough and cut) at Asia Expo. Huge. Biggest in the world. Buyers and sellers worldwide would fly in to buy/sell. Even the “smallest” Nov show (there are shows every quarter) that was less trade focused occupied the whole of Wanchai. If it’s just one floor now, then it has shrunk drastically.

I recall back then the 1st floor in Wanchai had all the big brands with the luxury booths. It was like walking through a gem exhibit. Stunningly beautiful stuff… as you move up the floors the booths became smaller and stuff more affordable and that’s where the crowds are. Shoulder to shoulder and PACKED. But super fun to shop as you can see everything.

Usually I bring at least my loupe, a pen/notebook (if you need to rem/record stuff or can use hp), and UV light to shop. I don’t bring other gem equipment since I try to buy certified stones only.

Backup charger for phone, comfy walking shoes, water bottle. Depending on my mood some other stuff as well including stuff like small light tent (lol) as I hate the exhibition lights.

First time is a bit mind boggling. Once you get a sense of things and also identify certain vendors that you like (style, price, etc)/trust, it gets easier.

Thank you so much for the insight~ I thought this show is not small just because of my simple impression when I saw some video on line about recent gem shows overseas, Tucson? I forgot, which looked even smaller then this HK one. I wonder how's the scale of Tucson in "normal" condition, as I guess it's also hit by Covid, but it's always mentioned.

I do think I would be overwhelmed in the normal size HK show that you mentioned, even though I am really interested in having fun there. I need to get some tolls first^^

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Something to add is about the quality of gemstones I saw during the show. It could just be my impression to be honest as I was a bit rush on this visit, but many gemstones I found in the show were not that attractive, it could be the cut, colour or actually the nature of the stones.

First of all, not going to have another debate on native / commercial cut vs precision cut (which I didn't managed to see many, if any), but a lot of gems that I found there looked quite normal. I didn't inspect them closely, but for those larger stones displayed, be it sapphire, tanzanite etc., windows could easily be seen for many.

On the other hand, many blue sapphires presented as royal blue appeared quite dark. I am not sure if that's the nature of sapphire in this colour or it's the cut that made it like that. It's not a cheap stone obviously, but even under those exhibition lighting, you don't see the vividness of colour, or brilliance from them. Is this really what people like about blue sapphire, or just quality standard?

I also noticed in some booths some pink sapphires (at least obviously pink to me) were said to be ruby, is it something we should run away from?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results