shape
carat
color
clarity

First time shopper -- 1 carrot

jrd0494

Rough_Rock
So I'm kind of stuck at an impasse. On one hand I'd like to get a center stone that's 1.00 or a little bigger but my local jewler is trying to show me a 0.90 that is of better quality. He says that the difference in size really isn't noticable and I'd save around $300-$400. My max budget is $5,000 on the stone and then I wanted to have someone custom make me a engagement ring and wedding band that looks like this from Kirk Kara. My total budget is $8,000-$8,500 max. The jewler said he could save me at least $400 on the rings. Should I buy it all from him or buy the stone online and have him make the rings? Thanks for your advice.
k1390sd-r_up.png
k1390sd-b_up.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the price of the kirk kara setting?

jrd0494

Rough_Rock
Yes Gypsy the price of the engagement ring is listed on their website at $2,400 and the wedding band is listed at $1,840. I misspoke earlier. The jeweler said he could keep me all in at around $8,000 so he's making similar rings for about $1,200 less.
This is the engagement ring. https://kirkkara.com/item/K1390SD-R
This is the wedding band. https://kirkkara.com/item/K1390SD-B

jrd0494

Rough_Rock
Also, for added information this is the GIA number for the diamond I'm leaning towards he showed me. GIA #7203568588. I liked how it looked except for the cloud. asking price is $4,800.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see the diamond in person ? Could you see the cloud with your eye? Looks like a cluster of crystals within the cloud. I wouldn't want to be able to see that. PLUS the hca score is 4.3 - only "good" for light return, fire, and scintillation.

What are the specs on the .90 stone the jeweler is recommending?

jrd0494

Rough_Rock
I looked at the 1.01 stone in the light of the store and also took it to the window for some natural light. to the naked eye you could not see the cloud. You can definitely see the cloud when looking at it magnified though. The .90 (.91 I just found out) is same color but an SI1. The cut grade, polish, and symmetry are down to Very Good and it has Faint Fluorescence. GIA #15458242. He told me it would cost $300 less or $4,500. I am going there today after work to look at it in person.

jrd0494

Rough_Rock
He just called me. He described it as a high end I and a high end SI1.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond #2 has worse proportions than #1 IMO even if the HCA score is better.
Depth 57.8 %
Table 62 %
Crown Angle 31.5°
Pavilion Angle 41.2°

These aren't very complimentary.

Diamond #1 isn't a bad diamond and the picture doesn't look terrible. It might be a good choice if you're concern is mostly carat size and hitting that magical 1ct mark.

gia-certified-1-01-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-diamond-fum7eh.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Running that stone's numbers through the HCA you get a score of 1. Excellent in light return, fire, and scintillation and very good in spread. Can they send you an image? There is a sample only.

And I note on BE's description it says "very good" cut, while the GIA report says "excellent" cut. You would want the excellent. And a VS stone is almost certainly eye-clean.

Edit to add: you could invest less toward the setting and move more of your budget into the stone. If you did that, you could get more size and /or less color ( although an I is still pretty white). The setting is beautiful, though. Myself, I would want the best cut, cleanest, largest, stone within my budget.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know the price listed on the website is high. But typically retailers of that line will discount the price 20% or so.

I would call a retailer (not Jared) that is a mom and pop and ask them what they can do for you in terms of pricing. It would be best to get the original.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1449796885|3960021 said:
I know the price listed on the website is high. But typically retailers of that line will discount the price 20% or so.

I would call a retailer (not Jared) that is a mom and pop and ask them what they can do for you in terms of pricing. It would be best to get the original.
Gypsy, have you seen KK retailers give that kind of discount off a semi-mount when the customer wants to use his/her own stone, is not also buying the center stone from the same retailer? I' thinking it might be unrealistic to expect that much of a discount off the MSRP if you're not buying "the whole encihilada"

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought... :confused:
If you are open to another line, check to see if you like any of the amavida settings. I believe that both IDJ jewelry & Good Old Gold (respected vendors here on PS) carry Gabriel & Co. (Gabriel & Co also has bands and stackable so with the sapphire stones.)
Good Old Gold could help find a stone too. Please disregard if you only want the Kirk Kara. Good luck in your search! :wavey

Eta, not sure if I can post the direct link, but look up Amavida or the vendors. :wall:
https://eshop.gabrielny.com/product...-IL-LB-LD-LP-LX-RM-SA-SB-SC-TA-TB-TC-XL-XT-XU

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results