shape
carat
color
clarity

First time poster - diamond evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamond1979

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at a round brilliant for a Gelin & Abaci engagement ring (TR-040). Here are some specs of the diamond I like. I''m hoping to get some feedback. :)

carat: 1.00
color: F
clarity: VVS1
diam: 6.8mm (6.38 - 6.43)
depth: 61.8% (4.05mm)
table %: 55% (3.95mm)
crown: 34.0
pavil: 40.6
culet: 0.0% ("none")
girdle: 2.3% (medium - slightly thick) I''m not positive that I''m reading the report correctly so the 2.3% may not be correct.

The GIA report says it has excellent polish and symmetry and no fluorescence. Any thoughts on this diamond? Will it "perform well" in a G&A tension setting?
Thanks

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
scores a .6 on the HCA. Have you seen it?

welcome to Pricescope too
35.gif

diamond1979

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply!

No, I have not seen it yet :\ This is a "signature ideal" from blue nile. They have GIA and GCAL reports available on it, but no Idealscope, Sarin, etc. I''ve read a number of other posts that recommend WF and GOG, but I have not been able to find any similar stones with a medium - thick girdle (which I''ve read is necessary for tension setting) through them.

I''m tempted to take advantage of the BN 30-day return policy.

diamond1979

Rough_Rock
Also, how does the Total Visual Performance score on HCA work? Is 0.6 good? I don''t plan to make a purchase based solely on the results of HCA... just curious. :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know much about tension settings but I do know Good old Gold also offers a 30 day return so you might contact them and let them know what you''re looking for and the setting you''ve chosen to see what they can come up with. that way you''ll at least have something to compare the BN stone too.

diamond1979

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion. I sent GOG a message. Hopefully, they''ll have some alternatives for me!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Open it up to something besides Blue Nile....lots of stones.

Kelkel

Rough_Rock
I think anything below 2 is a good HCA score, so 0.6 definitely qualifies. Below 2.0, I read that a lower score may not always indicate a better looking diamond.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d like to see an IS image to make sure, but the numbers don''t present any problems. I like F-G colors in a tension setting because it shows the side quite a bit and VS2-VS1 is probably a safe range for clarity in a tension setting that isn''t overkill. They usually suggest not going to SI for durability reasons.

diamond1979

Rough_Rock
Here''s a link to the GCAL Report for the BN stone I originally posted about. I called them and they did not have an IdealScope image for me, which I expected, but I figured it didn''t hurt to try. Incidentally, do you think $11,150 a good deal for this stone?

I''ve also been working with Tim at GOG to help me find a stone, and I contacted Micky Roof today, since they are a Gelin & Abaci dealer.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamond1979

Rough_Rock
Thanks belle!

There''s a new contender! This time with IS.

carat: 1.00
color: E
clarity: VVS1
measurements: 6.41*6.43*3.98
depth: 62%
table %: 56%
crown: 34.5
pavil: 40.8
culet: none
girdle: medium - slightly thick

Ideal Scope

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks great.

DillPickle

Rough_Rock
Beautiful IS. I noticed that you''re staying in the VVS range. Have you seen stones IRL and found yourself to be clarity-sensitive? or more of a mind-clean preference?

Others will say that, in the VVS range, even with a loupe you will probably have difficulty in finding any inclusions.

Something to ponder if you wish to maximize you $$s more.

diamond1979

Rough_Rock
Well, I did some more research after reading your post, DillPickle, and determined I probably would not be able to see a difference between VVS and VS except when magnified, which I doubt I''ll do very often, and "mind-cleanliness" isn''t worth the difference in price to me. Furthermore, I decided to email Gelin & Abaci to see what their "official" criteria are for diamonds they will work on. Here''s the exchange.
WE CAN SET I1 STONES AS LONG AS THE INCLUSION IS NOT TOO LARGE
AND ON THE SURFACE.
WE CAN ALSO SET STONES WITH A THIN GIRDLE.
WE REJECT VERY FEW STONES DUE TO MAKE OR CLARITY.
> I''m interested in TR-040. I have been in contact with a local
> jeweler whom I plan to have the setting done through. I prefer to
> buy the diamond elsewhere though. What criteria should I look for
> in a diamond that is to go in a tension setting? I know the FAQ
> says ''any stone with hardness 9 or above,'' but I''ve read on various
> forums online that VS2 clarity at minimum with no surface
> inclusions and at least a 2% (medium) girdle are required. Is this
> true? Would 1.4% be too thin of a girdle or .9%? Any information
> on this would be greatly appreciated.

So, I''ve opened my searches up a bit to include VS2 and any girdle. This gives me quite a few more options! My current favorite is this one:
1.046 ct F VS2 A Cut Above H&A
. Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 1.046
- Color: F
- Clarity: VS2
. Depth %: 61
. Table %: 54.8
. Crown Angle: 34.9
. Crown %: 15.9
. Pavilion Angle: 40.7
. Pavilion %: 42.8
. Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
. Measurements: 6.57-6.58X4.01
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

I really appreciate everyone''s help and feedback so far. PriceScope has been an valuable resource in this process.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Lovin' the WF stone. Definitely don't need VVS.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results