shape
carat
color
clarity

First Time Pearls

jsm0813

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I’m first time pearl buying, and know how much great help this forum was for my wife’s engagement ring! Now I’m trying to buy her her first pearl necklace. I want something classy, staple, but can’t quite get to the top level Mikimoto I’ve read about on the threads.

But, I have reached out to Pearl Paradise and Takahashi and looking at Hanadama or the top Takahashi line.

A couple photos so far, I have natural white and the pinked from Pearl Paradise. I’m sure this is probably personal preference as much as anything, but are they any other advantages/disadvantages, one versus the other? To a more trained eye, how do these look? They look pretty good to me, but I’m new to the pearls!

IMG_3003.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3002.jpeg
    IMG_3002.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2999.jpeg
    IMG_2999.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3001.jpeg
    IMG_3001.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 27

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both gorgeous! The Natural Whites (NW) look a bit more silvery to my eye. For some reason the luster of pinked pearls seems to stand out more than the NW pearls. The dark center area (which shows the luster) seems darker somehow -- more contrasty-- on the pinked pearls.

Pinked pearls don't look pink against the skin. They look really good on my skin tone (relatively fair complexion with pink undertones). I think I might go for the NW if I were more ruddy.

jsm0813

Rough_Rock
Thank you! My wife is very fair skinned, so that’s very helpful.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I’m first time pearl buying, and know how much great help this forum was for my wife’s engagement ring! Now I’m trying to buy her her first pearl necklace. I want something classy, staple, but can’t quite get to the top level Mikimoto I’ve read about on the threads.

But, I have reached out to Pearl Paradise and Takahashi and looking at Hanadama or the top Takahashi line.

A couple photos so far, I have natural white and the pinked from Pearl Paradise. I’m sure this is probably personal preference as much as anything, but are they any other advantages/disadvantages, one versus the other? To a more trained eye, how do these look? They look pretty good to me, but I’m new to the pearls!

IMG_3003.jpeg

my laptop is not reliable for colour, (i prefer the lower strand) but this is such a lovely gift
i would hope just like her ER she will get a lifetime's of wear out of them
(note that in some cultures -as in not mine -but it is here on PS, plenty of ladies do upgrade their ER's over time)
A lovely strand of peals, so long as they are taken care of and worn requlary (pearls like to be worn, not left in a drawer to dry out especially in a dry climate/enviroment ) will be a very useful addition to her jewlery box

jsm0813

Rough_Rock
IMG_3009.jpeg Here are a couple more options, both regular (not the natural white) Hanadama. One is slightly larger than the other, and I asked to see it with some more of the green hues in it also.

Hoping to hear back from Takahashi with some pictures soon as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3007.jpeg
    IMG_3007.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3008.jpeg
    IMG_3008.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 9

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

IMG_3003.jpeg

I like NW on my wife (Asian skin tone) but between those two, I’d personally go with the higher luster pinked strand If same price.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
IMG_3009.jpeg Here are a couple more options, both regular (not the natural white) Hanadama. One is slightly larger than the other, and I asked to see it with some more of the green hues in it also.

Hoping to hear back from Takahashi with some pictures soon as well.

Between these two strands, I like the left strand more. Seems higher luster and I am NOT a fan of the greenish feel the right strand gives off (Personal taste).

If I was buying from Pearl paradise, I’d buy multiple strands and look at them in person…then return all but 1.

jsm0813

Rough_Rock
If I was buying from Pearl paradise, I’d buy multiple strands and look at them in person…then return all but 1.

I really like this idea. The pictures I’ve been receiving so far have been Hanadama level. I also tend to like the same pinkish color in each of the two sets. Other than asking for highest possible luster, are there other color variations/characteristics you recommend asking about if I order three options?

Size wise, I’m looking at 7.5-8 or 8-8.5. Is this just going to be personal preference? For reference, my wife is petite (5’4”) and generally wears nice but not flashy jewelry, so I’ve tended toward smaller.

jsm0813

Rough_Rock
And is 18 inch the right size (that seems standard) or should I get a 16-inch for comparison? I’m assuming you could always have someone turn an 18-inch into a 16 if need be.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I really like this idea. The pictures I’ve been receiving so far have been Hanadama level. I also tend to like the same pinkish color in each of the two sets. Other than asking for highest possible luster, are there other color variations/characteristics you recommend asking about if I order three options?

Size wise, I’m looking at 7.5-8 or 8-8.5. Is this just going to be personal preference? For reference, my wife is petite (5’4”) and generally wears nice but not flashy jewelry, so I’ve tended toward smaller.

Hanadama certification has a WIDE quality range that is noticeable to the human eye, unfortunately. That’s one reason I suggested buying multiple and returning, so you can try to not get a bottom-range hanadama. PSL certified Tennyo will be superior to the vast majority of the hanadama certified strands found in USA but usually requires buying internationally which may take returns off the table.

Size is a preference thing but most people tend to want larger pearls as they get older and PSS (Pearl shrinkage syndrome) is a very real thing —- Your wife may think a Pearl is a Good size one week and then think it feels small a few weeks later. My wife initially wanted a 7.5-8mm at the mikimoto store, I had a hard time pushing her into considering 8-8.5mm and when we actually bought a couple months later she picked 8.5-9m!!! She has never regretted going larger…

Regarding other characteristics that I’d personally focus on are (Aside from whiter/pinker body which is personal taste):

1) Surface quality which is *mostly* taken care of by Hanadama PSL certificate — This covers things like shark skin, little dips in the Pearl, scratches, etc. For most people, Hanadama/tennyo would be plenty good enough here.

2) MATCHING colors of the pearls in the strand. This is never perfect but a good match of body color, overtones/interference colors is important. Having a greenish-vibe Pearl in a strand of otherwise pinkish pearls is ideally avoided for example.

jsm0813

Rough_Rock
Thank you, this is very helpful, I appreciate it!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto everything @NY_Resonant said!

Pearl Paradise also has GIA certified Hanadama now. You might ask for some comparisons with those strands, if there are any available within the size and budget you’re targetting.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Ditto everything @NY_Resonant said!

Pearl Paradise also has GIA certified Hanadama now. You might ask for some comparisons with those strands, if there are any available within the size and budget you’re targetting.

I find this video informative on GIA certified pearls. My only issue is that there seems to be wayyyyy too large a gap in quality between what they call Excellent luster and the next step “Very Good”. Can I request a Super Excellent category? Laugh.

jsm0813

Rough_Rock
To add to the complication (of course), I’m having a virtual appointment with someone from Mikimoto today to have a look at some of their bracelets beyond the online options, just to consider that as an alternative option.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this pair of GIA certified Hanadama studs from PP-- the overtone is "pink" but on my skin they look white.
PP has GIA certified Hanadama necklaces and bracelets too.
Supposedly the GIA standards for Hanadama are tighter than PSL standards.

GIA certified Hanadama stud ear shot indoors forum size.jpeg GIA certified Hanadama studs on hand forum size.jpeg GIA Hanadama certificate for akoya studs forum size.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW those were natural light photos, therefore diffuse. I have not yet photographed them with a single point of light. I expect the luster would look even sharper.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearl paradise also has the option of a zoom/video call so you can compare more strands/options in real time. But I agree about ordering a few and then returning.

Definitely look at the gia hanadama options they have. They're listed under "very important pearls" on the website

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I have this pair of GIA certified Hanadama studs from PP-- the overtone is "pink" but on my skin they look white.

GIA certified Hanadama stud ear shot indoors forum size.jpeg GIA certified Hanadama studs on hand forum size.jpeg GIA Hanadama certificate for akoya studs forum size.jpeg

You just had to post this, didn't you! (laugh).

I couldn't resist, I just bought 3 GIA certified Hanadama pairs to see if I like them. May keep the best pair.

Expensive studs compared to what I paid for my Takahashi gems but I am very curious how they stack up!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder how they compare to Mikimoto's grades. Would they be A, A+, AA or what?

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
To add to the complication (of course), I’m having a virtual appointment with someone from Mikimoto today to have a look at some of their bracelets beyond the online options, just to consider that as an alternative option.

Support!

I have a pair of earrings and a bracelet from Mikimoto. And also a Ten-yo necklace from non branded company with PSL certificate. Recently I purchased a UV torch to look at diamonds and I shine the UV light on all my pearls, guess what? Only the Mikimoto pearls are without any inclusion inside them. I guess it's because of the smooth skin of their pearls. For the non branded pearls, almost every pearl show a little bit of muddy skin but of course, within normal distance, they cannot be noticed when worn. After this incident, I will try to get all my pearls and styles from Mikimoto whenever I can afford something from them.

If you can afford a Mikimoto something, be it a pair of earrings, a bracelet or a necklace, just go ahead and you will not regret it. It's wise to go for an 8 mm pearl or up because one, for prevention of shrinkage syndrome, second because these few years, 8mm akoya might be difficult to get because the mortality of akoya oysters.

My theory is that I might not be able to afford something big from Mikimoto if I don't purchase it now because their price increases, just this year, they increased their price. There's another forum about pearls and a lot of threads are about whether their mikimoto strands are genuine mikimoto or not. That means there are people who value this brand even after so many years. I used to believe that the mikimoto pearls are the same like any other pearls, after purchasing something non-mikimoto and compare, I just go back to mikimoto because the smoothness of each pearl skin just beat other nonbranded. Anything A+ or up, it's gonna be nicer than a lot of strands out there.

Anyway, whatever pearl you choose, it's a type of jewellery that is wise to have in a jewellery collection besides other gems or diamonds.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Whoa, you just snuck those in here :shock::eek2::kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I couldn't resist, I just bought 3 GIA certified Hanadama pairs to see if I like them. May keep the best pair.

Expensive studs compared to what I paid for my Takahashi gems but I am very curious how they stack up!

And you just snuck this in here!! o_O:cool2:

dmz

Rough_Rock

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts and see your comparisons. I snagged a pair for my wife as a last minute gift. (May or may not arrive in time.)

You know your wife better than anyone here, but I suspect she would get way more use out of a necklace vs a bracelet.

And is 18 inch the right size (that seems standard) or should I get a 16-inch for comparison? I’m assuming you could always have someone turn an 18-inch into a 16 if need be.

This would be a preference thing, but it's trivially easy to shorten a necklace. Much harder to lengthen it. Pearl necklaces have to get restrung periodically (depends how often they're worn), so you could even shorten it sometime later if her preferences evolve. (Restringing is relatively inexpensive.)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i also vote for 18 inch
im 52 and no necklaces i had in my 20's now fit comfortably as all too short now
tf you get the longer size now the pearls will all match, much harder to lengthen latter on like im doing

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dmz, did they arrive in time for Christmas? How does she like them?
(If not arrived yet, they will be a lovely New Year's gift).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results