shape
carat
color
clarity

First time ER buyer. Thoughts on this stone/deal?

undecimo

Rough_Rock
Hey all - First time poster here. I've been reading the site for a few months and have learned a lot by lurking in the forums. I'm about to take the plunge on my first engagement and would really appreciate your feedback on the stone I have in mind.

2.02 carat RB, G/VS2 (GIA)
EX cut, VG polish & symmetry
60.7% depth, 56% table, 34 degree crown, 41 degree pavilion, thin-med girdle, no culet
Strong blue fluorescence

HCA result: 1.2 (EX, EX, VG, VG)

The seller has been in business in my area for 20+ years and has excellent online reviews. He has decided to retire and sell off his remaining inventory. The stone's GIA report is dated 2007 and I confirmed by looking at old versions of his web site that it has been in his inventory since then. His cash price for the stone works out to 30% off last week's Rap (!).

I know about the controversy over fluorescence and that Rapaport says stones of this color/clarity are usually discounted 2-3% for it. IMO it doesn't visually detract from the stone, there are no milky clouds, etc. Inclusions are all off center and it was hard for me to find any of them, even working from the GIA diagrams with 10x loupe.

This seems like a great deal and I'm looking for any red flags. Wondering why this stone hasn't sold for 4 years.

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
undecimo|1311885734|2979205 said:
Hey all - First time poster here. I've been reading the site for a few months and have learned a lot by lurking in the forums. I'm about to take the plunge on my first engagement and would really appreciate your feedback on the stone I have in mind.

2.02 carat RB, G/VS2 (GIA)
EX cut, VG polish & symmetry
60.7% depth, 56% table, 34 degree crown, 41 degree pavilion, thin-med girdle, no culet
Strong blue fluorescence

HCA result: 1.2 (EX, EX, VG, VG)

The seller has been in business in my area for 20+ years and has excellent online reviews. He has decided to retire and sell off his remaining inventory. The stone's GIA report is dated 2007 and I confirmed by looking at old versions of his web site that it has been in his inventory since then. His cash price for the stone works out to 30% off last week's Rap (!).

I know about the controversy over fluorescence and that Rapaport says stones of this color/clarity are usually discounted 2-3% for it. IMO it doesn't visually detract from the stone, there are no milky clouds, etc. Inclusions are all off center and it was hard for me to find any of them, even working from the GIA diagrams with 10x loupe.

This seems like a great deal and I'm looking for any red flags. Wondering why this stone hasn't sold for 4 years.

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My first guess would be trade-in - desirable size/colour/clarity range, numbers are fine, not so pricey that it's only feasible for the upper echelons.

If it's a trade in I'd make sale contingent on sending it back to GIA - or at least an independent appraisal - to get an independent authority's confirmation that the report represents the current condition of the stone (no chips, scratches etc. from careless wear or poor setting jobs since 2007).

Post GIA report number or link? And what is the asking price?

undecimo

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I was thinking it could be a trade-in. The report is dated Feb 15 of '07 and it was in his inventory by June 6. I guess he could have taken it in trade and then sent it to GIA for a fresh report.

Output from GIA's site is attached. Unfortunately I don't have a PDF with the diagrams. Asking price is $22,700.

GIA2.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is an incredibly low price, from a local establishment, even accounting for sbf...

Numbers are fine. They don't tell the whole story, but I see no red flags, it's a GIA Ex so unless a previous owner carved a giant chunk out of it it simply can't be flat out ugly, and what your eyes think is what ultimately counts! So if you've seen it in-person and you like it, put that thing on hold :sun: then schedule an independent appraisal for within the return period, to be sure of what you're getting (and be sure to get an idiot-proof return period in writing before you hand anything over)

undecimo

Rough_Rock
Great advice - that's exactly what I'll do. I've seen the stone and I think it's a beauty. The seller has a 30-day cash return policy. I'll run it through an Ideal-Scope and have an appraiser check it out. I'm a little worried about the SBF because most of the comparable stones on the market have none or faint, but I'll defer to the appraiser on how it affects value.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results