shape
carat
color
clarity

First time engagement diamond shopper seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Hello,

My name is Jack, and I'm looking to buy a center stone for an engagement ring. I've been researching diligently for several weeks on my own, now I'm ready to ask you experts for some opinions.

My lady is a kind of person who seeks a little in both size and quality. In fact, she claimed that the following chart describes perfectly what she looks for in a diamond:

Both Size and Quality
Your diamond must look clean to the eye, white and sparkly. The cut should be in the 54% to 63% total depth range with a very thin to medium girdle. Look for a 58 to 62% table.

Cut: Brilliant Ideal
Clarity: SI1-2
Color: I and up

I'm looking at several difference diamonds. My criteria in looking for the perfect diamond is as follows:
- Cut: round ideal cut (maybe even H&A)
- Color: F-I
- Clarity: VS2- SI1
- Carat: 1.15 - 1.35
- Cost (Budget): Around $5.5-6k. If a diamond that has exceptional value sells for a little over $6k, I wouldn't mind picking that one either.

I understand cut is the most important factor that determines the appearance of the diamond, so I've done some extra homework on that particular topic. Is it worth the investment for and H&A cut instead of a typical AGS0 ideal cut? All others being equal, will I notice the difference in appearance between the two cuts without looking under the scope? Is it truely worth the 10%+ premium?

Regarding color, I want to know if an "I" would be noticeably yellow with a white gold or platinum pave style setting.

Any other advice is deeply appreciated.

Thank you!

DBM

Shiny_Rock
most of what you wrote is pretty much up to your choice but to answer the question of I color, it won''t look bad if that''s what you want to know, it''ll look nice. Compared to an F though you can probably notice a difference

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 12:18:45 PM
Author:wimpwgn

Both Size and Quality
Your diamond must look clean to the eye, white and sparkly. The cut should be in the 54% to 63% total depth range with a very thin to medium girdle. Look for a 58 to 62% table.

Thank you!
Hard to think the text in the tutorial would have said that...but now says: "Your diamond must look clean to the eye, white and sparkly. It should have a good ideal-scope image etc...."

This mohikan is below your price point, based on a Pricescope discount of $5994, and meets your requirements. Js may be OK, but I like the more conservative approach of H and better. And, while AGS is nice to get, using HCA and a quality vendor to meet your price thresholds is another reasonable approach.

Welcome to Pricescope, and good shopping!

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
This is what I've been looking at alot, I know it's a little out of my budget, but it's an H&A ACA with HCA of 1. This is the reason I asked regarding the visual difference between an H&A and typical AGS0.

BTW, thank you both for very informative answers. Still looking for answer to my first question though.

stags14

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Is it worth the investment for and H&A cut instead of a typical AGS0 ideal cut?
That is a personal choice. It was not worth it for me. I just purchased an AMAZING looking stone from WhiteFlash. It is not H&A but it looks simply awesome. I paid $5526 for the ring and $438 for the platinum 4 prong setting. This type of ring falls exactly into your budget and it looks great! I took it to an independent appraiser (GG), and she said it was a FANTASTIC looking stone at a great price. It is sn SI1 - but she said it was an awesome looking SI1 that could have easily been given a VS2 and the color could have easily been a G.

Report: GIA
. Shape: Round Ideal Cut
. Carat: 1.18 Color: H Clarity: SI1
. Depth %: 61.5
. Table %: 57
. Crown Angle: 35
. Crown %: 15
. Star : 55
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43
. Lower Girdle %: 75
. Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick Faceted
. Measurements: 6.77-6.79X4.17
. Polish: Very Good
. Symmetry: Very Good
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

LCS_er3.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 2:05:53 PM
Author: wimpwgn
This is what I''ve been looking at alot, I know it''s a little out of my budget, but it''s an H&A ACA with HCA of 1. This is the reason I asked regarding the visual difference between an H&A and typical AGS0.

I honestly don''t think the average person would be able to see a visual difference b/t an H&A and and ideal AGS0. It is personal as to whether or not the branding and the perfect arrows are important to YOU the purchaser. To some the answer it yes and to others it''s no. my stone is an AGS0 but not an H & A and I wouldn''t trade it for anything...

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 1:53:21 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Both Size and Quality

Thank you!
Hard to think the text in the tutorial would have said that...but now says: ''Your diamond must look clean to the eye, white and sparkly. It should have a good ideal-scope image etc....''

This mohikan is below your price point, based on a Pricescope discount of $5994, and meets your requirements. Js may be OK, but I like the more conservative approach of H and better. And, while AGS is nice to get, using HCA and a quality vendor to meet your price thresholds is another reasonable approach.

Welcome to Pricescope, and good shopping!
It doesn''t - it sounds like Fred Cuellar.

I like smaller tables than the ones he recommended in the text you quoted - read the tutorials on this website (under knowledge, advanced tutorials) and especially look at the cut charts.

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 2:41:42 PM
Author: stags14

Hello,

Is it worth the investment for and H&A cut instead of a typical AGS0 ideal cut?

That is a personal choice. It was not worth it for me. I just purchased an AMAZING looking stone from WhiteFlash. It is not H&A but it looks simply awesome. I paid $5526 for the ring and $438 for the platinum 4 prong setting. This type of ring falls exactly into your budget and it looks great! I took it to an independent appraiser (GG), and she said it was a FANTASTIC looking stone at a great price. It is sn SI1 - but she said it was an awesome looking SI1 that could have easily been given a VS2 and the color could have easily been a G.

Report: GIA

. Shape: Round Ideal Cut

. Carat: 1.18 Color: H Clarity: SI1

. Depth %: 61.5

. Table %: 57

. Crown Angle: 35

. Crown %: 15

. Star : 55

. Pavilion Angle: 40.8

. Pavilion %: 43

. Lower Girdle %: 75

. Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick Faceted

. Measurements: 6.77-6.79X4.17

. Polish: Very Good

. Symmetry: Very Good

. Culet: Pointed

. Fluorescence: Negligible

Great looking ring!

Do you have any personal tip on purchasing process?

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 2:56:37 PM
Author: mrssalvo

This is what I''ve been looking at alot, I know it''s a little out of my budget, but it''s an H&A ACA with HCA of 1. This is the reason I asked regarding the visual difference between an H&A and typical AGS0.

I honestly don''t think the average person would be able to see a visual difference b/t an H&A and and ideal AGS0. It is personal as to whether or not the branding and the perfect arrows are important to YOU the purchaser. To some the answer it yes and to others it''s no. my stone is an AGS0 but not an H & A and I wouldn''t trade it for anything...

Thank you.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 2:56:37 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Agree also.

Consider asking WF''s advice on comparing your choice and this one. It would save you, and get you an H to boot.

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for his/her input so far.

One more question, I''m looking at this H&A, F, SI1, 1.12carat with HCA = 1, but noticed that the spread is 6.65*6.75. Is this a normal variation in the diameter? How will this variation affect the cut quality?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see it in the IS a little, can''t see it in the picture.

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 6:51:55 PM
Author: JulieN
I can see it in the IS a little, can't see it in the picture.

Sorry, but what do you mean by that?

Also, I noticed WF received several new diamonds within my budget but almost all of them have medium to strong blue flour. I can settle for slight flour, but should avoid anything more, correct?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry. i meant the symmetry. The IS is magnified more than 8x picture, where I can't see any outline variances. You will probably not notice anything, but have someone eyeball it to be sure.

I do not like blue fluor merely bc I do not like blue. I agree with the fluor lovers that it adds an extra oomph. Any level of fluor is ok as long as you understand it and the vendor has checked for any negativity in performance.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 1:18:23 PM

Date: 12/14/2006 6:51:55 PM
Author: JulieN
I can see it in the IS a little, can''t see it in the picture.

Sorry, but what do you mean by that?

Also, I noticed WF received several new diamonds within my budget but almost all of them have medium to strong blue flour. I can settle for slight flour, but should avoid anything more, correct?
Nope - more is great! Just need to have them to check to see that it doesn''t interfere with the appearance of the diamond - Contrary to popular belief, it is actually not common for the fluoro to actually affect the appearance negatively (making it cloudy or oily/milky) - you just need a set of trusted eyeballs to look for you. There are some great threads and pics of fluoro on PS. More fluoro make actually help a diamond look a little whiter.

wimpwgn

Rough_Rock
JulieN, =)

Thank you both for your opnions. I will narrow down some diamonds I''m currently looking at and post the specs and ask for further diagnosis.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results