shape
carat
color
clarity

First Time Diamond Buyer

Stout33

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I would love as much help I can get. I am buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend. She wants a diamond studded white gold band with a 2-2.25 carat round cut diamond.

Everyone I have talked to has told me this will be at least 25k so it is kind of freaking me out. I do not know the first thing about diamonds. I have been to one jewelry and he recommended Clarity Enhanced diamonds and was selling me on those. They are more in my price range but again, I do not know anything so I do not want to be taken advantage of.

Any advice on where to look/buy would be great appreciated. I am located in Dallas, Texas.

I apologize if this question has been asked 1 million times, I just do not have anyone I can trust to speak to about diamonds.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I hope this does not come off too rude...But she shouldn't be demanding a certain size if that is out of budget. What are you comfortable with budget wise? We can find you the biggest stone for that.

If literally the ONLY thing your GF cares about is size, then you can go CE, but those stones are really not worthwhile otherwise.

eta - you might also want to look at preloved. Not sure how she would feel about that though.

Stout33

Rough_Rock
telephone89|1447195155|3947971 said:
Okay, I hope this does not come off too rude...But she shouldn't be demanding a certain size if that is out of budget. What are you comfortable with budget wise? We can find you the biggest stone for that.

If literally the ONLY thing your GF cares about is size, then you can go CE, but those stones are really not worthwhile otherwise.

eta - you might also want to look at preloved. Not sure how she would feel about that though.

Thanks for the reply!

She is not demanding anything, that is just the size she like when we went to try on rings. She told me she is happy even without a ring. I think that is sometimes in peoples nature to want what they think is the best.

I just did not know if it was even possible to get a 2 carat ring or not. I do not have a set budget at the moment, but I would like to stay around $12,000. Again, I do not know anything about diamonds so I have no idea what that will buy me.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Stout33|1447195693|3947972 said:
I do not have a set budget at the moment, but I would like to stay around $12,000. Again, I do not know anything about diamonds so I have no idea what that will buy me.

I think the first step has got to be a set budget -- for both setting and center stone. Once you have a set budget folks here who are more qualified than I will be able to help you find something that works. Unfortunately I do doubt you'll be able to get a good 2 carat stone with a 12k budget -- but I'm definitely not one of the experts around here.

I just went through this process. It was actually a lot of fun learning about diamonds and how much they cost. You will probably want to buy online -- you will be able to get a superior quality diamond for far less money than you would pay for a substandard diamond in a mall store. Most people look at James Allen as they have a huge selection, but there are many other online vendors recommended here as well (I got my diamond from Enchanted, but that was because they had a better selection of pears than James Allen does, or did at the time anyway).

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stout33

Rough_Rock
Wow, already so much great advice, thank you!

If i had to set a budget today, I would say 14k for everything, diamond and band, would be it.

Is buying a diamond ring online a safe thing to do?

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Stout33|1447197952|3947990 said:

Yes, absolutely. As long as you go with established vendors. I just did it myself after months of research. My lovely new pear diamond ring has it's own thread over in "Show Me the Bling."

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If i had to set a budget today, I would say 14k for everything, diamond and band, would be it.

Very safe! Stick with the PS vendors. You could even go visit WF or BG if you're up for a short roadtrip to houston.

Stout33

Rough_Rock
telephone89|1447202915|3948018 said:

Very safe! Stick with the PS vendors. You could even go visit WF or BG if you're up for a short roadtrip to houston.

I actually travel to Houston quite a bit for work.

Do you mind telling me what the acronyms stand for? Thanks!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry!

PS Pricescope
WF white flash
BG brian gavin

I posted a few links above to whiteflash diamonds and a brian gavin diamond. So you could actually go take a look at their inventory, purchase online, get the best of both worlds!

Stout33

Rough_Rock
telephone89|1447207223|3948041 said:
Sorry!

PS Pricescope
WF white flash
BG brian gavin

I posted a few links above to whiteflash diamonds and a brian gavin diamond. So you could actually go take a look at their inventory, purchase online, get the best of both worlds!

Thanks so much!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
A CE diamond has been artifiicially treated. The beauty of a diamond is its natural beautfy even natural inclusions make it special. I would prefer a 1.5 beautifully flawed diamond to a 2.5 CE one. The stones that people are recommending are all good. G/H color eye clean si1 quality. 1.5 stone nice

Stout33

Rough_Rock
Would a J color stone in a white gold setting look alirght?

Also, how low can you go in clarity while staying "eye clean"?

Thanks again for all the help!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stout33|1447296050|3948557 said:
Would a J color stone in a white gold setting look alirght?

Also, how low can you go in clarity while staying "eye clean"?

Thanks again for all the help!

Regarding J color, please see it for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzBGhkF5C4o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziZ1S8ZlZEE
I bought a J. That stone is white! Some say J color has some "warmth" to it.. I say "what warmth???"

Regarding clarity, this is a video for SI1 for well-cut diamond.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw9SDW68LOo

Many signature lines from reputable stores do include J and even K color with SI1/2.
here is an example
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3225748.htm
But not all S1 and S2 are eye-clean. That's why there is premium for signature lines. These stores check for eye-cleanliness.

I am not suggesting you buy these stones. But rather, you look at pricing for these carat/color/clarity. These are at least GIA Ex cut with almost "orthodox" ideal proportions.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.81-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-755222
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.11-carat-k-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-668861
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.83-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-727180
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.01-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-725924

Especially, look at the pricing different between stone 1 and 3. These two are very similar. But stone 3 is marketed as true heart where as stone 1 is not. That's price premium you pay for "signature line".
If you are ok with J and K color, do some research, and choose for yourself, it is not unreasonable you find nice looking a J/K with Vs1/Vs2 clarity with excellent cut and optics that is about 2.0 carat ish.. within your 12k budget. There is some risk taking if you choose your own diamond, rather than buying one from signature lines. But all these stores have excellent return policy in the US

it won't be easy, but doable. it is truly fun. happy shopping

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results