shape
carat
color
clarity

First Time buyer, opinions on this Ring....

VWTim

Rough_Rock
Hello,
This is my first post on here, but I used it a whole lot when researching my now fiance's engagement ring. Great forum you have here.

Now to my question. I had this ring made by a reputable jeweler on here and would like some second opinions on the final product. As this is my first piece of custom jewelry I don't know what my expectations should be. I noticed the Halo to not be symetrical around the main stone and I am unsure if it is either a design aspect, or perhaps something that just comes with handmade items.

If you look closely, you can see that the Halo, when viewed from the side is slightly "pulled" to one side. I tried to take a picture with a straight edge to help show it. It is barely noticeable and my fiance isn't concerned. I just wanted to get others opinions. Is this normal in handmade jewelery, or should I contact the maker.

Thanks in advance for what may be a very simple question.

Again, sorry for the blurry picture, but that is as good as I could get with my point and shoot.

Engagement Ring.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeh, I'm not seeing it. Are you saying that its pulled to the left and that left opening is smaller than the right?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have a picture from the top view? I definitely see what you are saying about it being asymmetrical...

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Yea - I can see that the left side is a bit off.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
It definitely looks off to me. That would drive me batty once I noticed it.

ETA: You asked if this is normal in handmade jewelry. I don't know if it's normal, but I don't think it should be acceptable. My ring is handmade and I don't see any major lopsidedness in it. We've seen a lot of beautiful handmade halos on here with a lot of pave, and I've never noticed this sort of thing in any of those rings, either.

However, if it doesn't bother you or your fiancee, then I'm not sure if you should pursue it. That is up to you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's crooked, I see it. I'd address it with the vendor... and no, I wouldn't be put off by any excuses about handmade.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, i see it. in fact, i looked at the pic before reading your post and thought 'what's up with the left side?' i have seen 'perfect' handmade pieces here, so i wouldn't be inclined to write it off as that.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Ah, uneven cathedral openings. One of my hugest pet peeves with jewely. :rodent: Yes, that would annoy me half to death and I'd totally talk to the jeweler. They may think you're out of your tree and super picky (and you'd be in excellent company here, I'm obnoxiously picky about settings for certain) but I would see if there's anythign they can do, because no, that's not necessary with handmade. Handmade can be done so it looks symmetrical to the eye for sure. Hopefully they'll do something. If not, hopefully it's something you can learn to live with over time! :))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally see what you are saying re/ the lopsided-ness. I would express your concern to the vendor directly.

VWTim

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I'll get in touch with the jeweler Tuesday after the holiday weekend. Directly overhead it is straight. But the side view would drive me batty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results