shape
carat
color
clarity

First time buyer on LGD, looking for advice/guidance.

serenity118

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to upgrade my engagement ring. I did some research and understand the basics. I would like some help or guidance if I am picking the correct diamond. Budget is up to 5k and would prefer HTPT over CVD lab diamonds. Also looking for a True H&A.

I was looking at a 2.55 round carat at ritani.

Thoughts on this lab or any others similar would be great. Also just wondering if this diamond is a True H&A or a near H&A. Not sure if Ritani would be able to provide ASET images but to be honest I'm probably not going to be able to know what to look for.

Looking to buy online and see it in store in case I find I don't like the stone IRL. Any tips for what to inspect in store?

Thanks in advance for all the help/advice. :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone looks pretty nice but has some pavilion variation that may result in a bit of leakage. It could be a true H&A, but we wouldn't know unless we see actual H&A images.

Here are some others for you to take a look at.

serenity118

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much @Kim N! I like the 2.58 Carat one the most and the cost savings as well. I checked the HCA score and it was at .9 should I be worried? I read in the posts most aim for 1.2 to 1.6 for rings.

For the 2.55 carat would the images on the on the certification be enough to determine the H&A? Screenshot_20221130_123322_Samsung Notes.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @Kim N! I like the 2.58 Carat one the most and the cost savings as well. I checked the HCA score and it was at .9 should I be worried? I read in the posts most aim for 1.2 to 1.6 for rings.

For the 2.55 carat would the images on the on the certification be enough to determine the H&A? Screenshot_20221130_123322_Samsung Notes.jpg

I wouldn't worry at all about an HCA score of 0.9. While there can be some combinations that are better for pendants and earrings, this combo should be fine.

The H&A on the report is a stock image, so if you want to be completely sure, you'd have to ask for actual H&A images. But it at least gives you an indication that the optical symmetry will be quite good.

I'd put it on hold right away, though! Lurkers often grab diamonds out from under people.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Can't find a video of the 2.58 to confirm, but it should be checked for blue nuance.

serenity118

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't worry at all about an HCA score of 0.9. While there can be some combinations that are better for pendants and earrings, this combo should be fine.

The H&A on the report is a stock image, so if you want to be completely sure, you'd have to ask for actual H&A images. But it at least gives you an indication that the optical symmetry will be quite good.

I'd put it on hold right away, though! Lurkers often grab diamonds out from under people.

Good to know! Thank you!

serenity118

Rough_Rock
Can't find a video of the 2.58 to confirm, but it should be checked for blue nuance.

Oh wow I didnt know blue nuance can happen on a colorless LGD. How would I be able to check? Would it be similar to a blue fluorescent?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow I didnt know blue nuance can happen on a colorless LGD. How would I be able to check? Would it be similar to a blue fluorescent?

It appears as a slight blue hue. You can usually see it from the side view of the diamond at the edges of the crown.

e-vs1-blue-nuance-jpg.913105

I recommend putting your two favorites on hold and requesting a video of the 2.58. That way if the 2.58 turns out to have blue nuance, you'll have a backup.

serenity118

Rough_Rock
It appears as a slight blue hue. You can usually see it from the side view of the diamond at the edges of the crown.

e-vs1-blue-nuance-jpg.913105

I recommend putting your two favorites on hold and requesting a video of the 2.58. That way if the 2.58 turns out to have blue nuance, you'll have a backup.

I see a slight tint of blue on both diamonds. Is that correct?

I submitted a hold for both and just got an email back saying diamond is not available. Not sure if it's both or just one, the email doesnt specify. I'll keep searching.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a slight tint of blue on both diamonds. Is that correct?

No, the one on the right doesn't have blue nuance.

I submitted a hold for both and just got an email back saying diamond is not available. Not sure if it's both or just one, the email doesnt specify. I'll keep searching.

I hope you'll keep this one in the mix. It looks really beautiful.

serenity118

Rough_Rock
@Kim N Thank you so much!! <3

I was able to put a hold on the 2.58 and the 2.54. Asking for additional images for the 2.58 one. I'll post the images if the vendor is able to provide. So excited to see the stones. =)2

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

serenity118

Rough_Rock

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous to me

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

@Kim N @DejaWiz
I ended up choosing the 2.58. How does it look? Is there a blue nuance? I tried looking at the crown closely but couldn't detect it. Thoughts? I quite love the extra burst of spark in the sun.

Two of the videos are in the bathroom lighting. One is in direct sunlight but our windows are tinted to block out summer heat.

Can you take some pictures/videos of it table-down/pavilion-up parked in the crease of a folded piece of white paper so that we can try and check for blue nuance?

serenity118

Rough_Rock
Can you take some pictures/videos of it table-down/pavilion-up parked in the crease of a folded piece of white paper so that we can try and check for blue nuance?

Thanks @DejaWiz Here are the pictures/videos. Let me know if you need in different angles or lighting.

Attachments

• 20221214_121008.jpg
    20221214_121008.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221214_121005.jpg
    20221214_121005.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 21

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

serenity118

Rough_Rock
You can place them both upside down next to each other like you did before and compare the hue that way.

@DejaWiz Ah thanks for the suggestion. Looks like the engagement ring stone has a slight yellow tint. It's an uncertify stone so I'm not sure what color grade it is.

I saw this YouTube post on comparing blue nuance. I don't see it on the 2.58 if it's upside down but without another one to compare it to its hard to tell?

Is blue nuance a bad thing? Hubby says it's still a very nice and sparkly stone.

Edited to ask: Type 2b diamonds have boron impurities is that the same as saying blue nuance?

20221214_151211.jpg

Attachments

• 20221214_151207.jpg
    20221214_151207.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz Ah thanks for the suggestion. Looks like the engagement ring stone has a slight yellow tint. It's an uncertify stone so I'm not sure what color grade it is.

I saw this YouTube post on comparing blue nuance. I don't see it on the 2.58 if it's upside down but without another one to compare it to its hard to tell?

Is blue nuance a bad thing? Hubby says it's still a very nice and sparkly stone.

Edited to ask: Type 2b diamonds have boron impurities is that the same as saying blue nuance?

20221214_151211.jpg

Yes, blue nuance = Type IIb = presence of boron.
The boron causes the diamond to absorb yellow light which results in the blue appearance.

It comes down to personal preference and subjective tolerance...if you don't mind it or quite like it, then it's no problem at all!
There are some notable famous diamonds that are Type IIb, such as the Hope Diamond.

You can spot the concentration of the faint blue/grayish-blue hue in the circled areas:

Screenshot_20221214-182634-651.png

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Kim N @DejaWiz
I ended up choosing the 2.58. How does it look? Is there a blue nuance? I tried looking at the crown closely but couldn't detect it. Thoughts? I quite love the extra burst of spark in the sun.

Two of the videos are in the bathroom lighting. One is in direct sunlight but our windows are tinted to block out summer heat.

Late to the party, but I agree with DejaWiz that there's blue nuance. It's not a bad thing at all--some people actively seek it! It's just if you're looking for a diamond as natural looking as possible, it's better to get one without blue nuance.

serenity118

Rough_Rock
Yes, blue nuance = Type IIb = presence of boron.
The boron causes the diamond to absorb yellow light which results in the blue appearance.

It comes down to personal preference and subjective tolerance...if you don't mind it or quite like it, then it's no problem at all!
There are some notable famous diamonds that are Type IIb, such as the Hope Diamond.

You can spot the concentration of the faint blue/grayish-blue hue in the circled areas:

Screenshot_20221214-182634-651.png

Thank you for the visuals! It's very helpful and for sharing your knowledge @DejaWiz

Just wondering, if the boron particles absorbs yellow light then does that mean in the absence of boron particles the color grade would be different?

I'll have to ponder some more on the blue nuance. I am also wondering how a setting will affect how the stone will look.

I was able to take some ASET images with my phone. Thoughts? I've tried to compare some images online and was wondering if the contrast levels where it's lighter means light leakage. 20221215_082433.jpg

Attachments

• 20221215_075328.jpg
    20221215_075328.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 8

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I loved my blue nuance stone! I loved the faint hue and everything about it. I only upgraded to get a bigger size. That said, my stone did glow in the dark. I didn’t mind but if yours does and it bothers you, then you may want to exchange it.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the visuals! It's very helpful and for sharing your knowledge @DejaWiz

Just wondering, if the boron particles absorbs yellow light then does that mean in the absence of boron particles the color grade would be different?

I'll have to ponder some more on the blue nuance. I am also wondering how a setting will affect how the stone will look.

I was able to take some ASET images with my phone. Thoughts? I've tried to compare some images online and was wondering if the contrast levels where it's lighter means light leakage. 20221215_082433.jpg

The diamond looks very well cut with no leakage, and you took some great ASET photos. So other than the blue nuance, it looks like a winner.

serenity118

Rough_Rock
I loved my blue nuance stone! I loved the faint hue and everything about it. I only upgraded to get a bigger size. That said, my stone did glow in the dark. I didn’t mind but if yours does and it bothers you, then you may want to exchange it.

Thank you @Runningmama for pointing that out. I am glad you love your stone! After examining the stone I selected for a few days, I am okay with with the blue nuance. I would have to actively seek it out to see it's really there. However, I am not keen on a glowing diamond. :(

I googled how to test for phosphorescence. There's quite a bit of overcast today. So there wasn't strong direct sunlight (will have to try again later). But I did leave the stone under a 60 second timer in a UV LED gel nail lamp and walked into a dark closet immediately after. The diamond didn't glow. Is it a safe bet it that it won't glow? If you don't mind sharing, how did you test that your diamond glowed?

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @Runningmama for pointing that out. I am glad you love your stone! After examining the stone I selected for a few days, I am okay with with the blue nuance. I would have to actively seek it out to see it's really there. However, I am not keen on a glowing diamond. :(

I googled how to test for phosphorescence. There's quite a bit of overcast today. So there wasn't strong direct sunlight (will have to try again later). But I did leave the stone under a 60 second timer in a UV LED gel nail lamp and walked into a dark closet immediately after. The diamond didn't glow. Is it a safe bet it that it won't glow? If you don't mind sharing, how did you test that your diamond glowed?

I have a tennis bracelet with EM diamonds and some of them have Blue Fluorescence and when I get my nails done they glow blue under the UV light :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Very interesting!
If it doesn't glow, then maybe it leans grayish due to whatever elements were used in the doping during growth and might not be a Type IIb, after all.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a great stone and the blue nuance doesn’t take away from it. I can’t wait to see it set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results