shape
carat
color
clarity

First time buyer looking for some help with a 4ct. round.

BobSmith

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Im a first time diamond buyer and I think i have a understanding or the C's. I have found a few diamonds on james allen but I am not sure about the girdle size and crown size being good.
Also james allen does not show the gia report online so how do I know I'm getting the same diamond?

Here are a few that i am looking at. Will the blemishes be noticeable to the naked eye?

Thanks for the help...

cert4.36.jpeg

cert4.01.jpeg
cert3.80.jpeg

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi...you'll need to post the GIA reports for the stones so we can help.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also james allen does not show the gia report online so how do I know I'm getting the same diamond?
JA should send you the original GIA document along with the stone. They keep it off of the website because they want discourage people from shopping the same stone with multiple dealers. When you get it appraised, and you SHOULD get it appraised for a variety of reasons, your appraiser will be answering the question of whether it's the stone represented and if it's unaltered and undamaged.

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The 4.36 is not eye clean, and that's a terrible location for a black inclusion. The 4.01 is not well cut. I love the 3.8. It's a winner.

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
are you certain that an "L" color diamond is what you (or the wearer) wants? The color should be noticeable in this size stone

BobSmith

Rough_Rock
are you certain that an "L" color diamond is what you (or the wearer) wants? The color should be noticeable in this size stone

As in to yellow? What's the highest without being too yellow?

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock

Yes, stones in lower colors can show yellow or brown tints. Most visible from side profile of stone and becomes more noticeable on larger stones.

If you are unsure of the color sensitivity of the wearer, I would not recommend getting L color. I for example am very color sensitive and would definitely prefer a 3ct in a higher color than a 4ct L color.

Most people would not do lower than an H/I color in that size I believe, depends on color sensitivity and how much tint in diamonds bothers them.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I like #3 the best out of those.
D-E-F = Colorless
G-H-I-J = Near colorless (I agree H/I would be a good compromise point if the recipient isn't too color senstive)
K and under = Obvious tint

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very subjective but I wouldnt go lower than an "I". If you or the wearer is very color sensitive then maybe a "G".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results