shape
carat
color
clarity

First time buyer looking for quick check

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
Hello folks,

First time posting here and first time buying a diamond ring. I was very clear in communicating with my partner to know what she was hoping for in terms of size and overall appearance of the diamond and setting, but I've taken it upon myself to do some more research and see that there is a lot to this! I've found a diamond I think is good, but I'm hoping a quick double check or two by people a lot better at this than me would really make me feel good about going through with the purchase. I understand that buying blind (without the idealscope/hearts and arrows/etc images--I did ask but they cannot get them in to do imaging due to COVID) means there is no definite answer, but I was able to use the James Allen video to make sure it was (most-likely) eye-clean SI1, or at least in my opinion. I've also run it through the HCA tool and it scored under 2, so I didn't eliminate it with that.

Anyways, here are the numbers I was hoping someone could check and let me know what you think.

Size: 0.71 carat
Table: 55%
Depth: 61.7%
Crown: 34.5 / 15.5%
Pavilion: 40.6 / 43%
Star: 45%
Lower: 80%
Cutlet: none
Girdle: medium (faceted) 3.5%

From everything I've found on-line, the only measurement that doesn't seem too popular is the star, and when I try to read more about why that is, it goes a bit beyond my understanding of diamonds. Otherwise though, it does seem to hold up with what I see recommended online. Neither my partner or I are experts, so even if it isn't the best diamond in the world (ahah) that will be just fine--I just don't want to purchase a total dud thinking I've got a stud.

Thank you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you have a link to the JA page so we can see the video/pictures?

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah, I guess that would have been smart. I guess I am finding this all a bit overwhelming! Here you go:

thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah, I guess that would have been smart. I guess I am finding this all a bit overwhelming! Here you go:

thanks!

I think it looks really good!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks good in terms of the angles etc. :)

Do you have the grading report details, in terms of the comments on Clarity?

Does it say 'clarity grade is based on clouds not shown' or similar?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to put the stone on hold. Also curious about the grade making inclusion?

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
As per the GIA certficate,

Clarity Characteristics: Cloud

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
Doesn't seem to be, it's just the proportions and no other plots. The only thing I see anywhere about inclusions or clarity are SI1 and Cloud. They also blanked the GIA # so I can't look it up myself on GIA. I asked them about this and they said it is to protect their assets or something along those lines...

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
You need to put the stone on hold. Also curious about the grade making inclusion?

Thanks for the advice, I have put it on hold for 48 hours. I will try to keep looking for more info on the inclusions for everyone.

Thanks again very much for everyone's input!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The GIA certificate is likely a dossier rather than a full report, which is common for diamonds under a carat. Dossiers do not show inclusion plots. James Allen hides the certificate numbers to make it difficult to locate the same diamond from a different retailer at a lower price. Most online retailers are drop shippers, meaning they don't have the diamonds in stock but rather have agreements with suppliers to list them (along with other retailers, who may have them listed at a lower price). I'd be concerned about performance issues with a cloud being the only inclusion on an SI1. If you post your budget and preferences (size, color, clarity, etc.), the expert PSers here can help you find something with a great cut and without a high risk for cloudiness that this stone has.GL

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
Makes sense, especially since the effort is not worth it for most diamond under 1ct I imagine.

My budget is somewhat flexible, but I was hoping to keep it at/below 2000usd, as I know it is easy to continue adding 100 here and there forever in the pursuit of perfection (and never actually get there).

Here are the preferences I was looking at given my budget:

Cut: round brilliant
Size: 0.7 ct
Color: H (flexible here... stone will be set in white gold which I've read not to go below I/J)
Clarity: SI1? ... eye-clean is good-enough for me (judge of this will be my partner who will stare at it non-stop, she has zero diamond/gemstone expertise and only ok eyesight ahaha)
Fluorescence: None or Faint

Should also mention I am in Ontario, Canada, so I was looking through the larger stores as I know they deal with international shipping more frequently and will provide appropriate documents and paperwork for me to avoid having to pay large duties as engagement rings/diamonds are duty free if they are from USA due to treaties (or at least this is my understanding after consulting with the border agency)

And I guess I'll leave all the proportions and other details up to the expert PSers since you definitely know more about diamonds than I do. I felt super proud I found something with most of all the proportions in the ballpark of most recommendations online, so I won't pretend to know what's best and am happy to see what you can find!

And again, thanks so much everyone

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Makes sense, especially since the effort is not worth it for most diamond under 1ct I imagine.

My budget is somewhat flexible, but I was hoping to keep it at/below 2000usd, as I know it is easy to continue adding 100 here and there forever in the pursuit of perfection (and never actually get there).

Cut: round brilliant
Color: H (flexible here... stone will be set in white gold which I've read not to go below I/J)
Clarity: SI1? ... eye-clean is good-enough for me (judge of this will be my partner who will stare at it non-stop, she has zero diamond/gemstone expertise and only ok eyesight ahaha)

Should also mention I am in Ontario, Canada, so I was looking through the larger stores as I know they deal with international shipping more frequently and will provide appropriate documents and paperwork for me to avoid having to pay large duties as engagement rings/diamonds are duty free if they are from USA due to treaties (or at least this is my understanding after consulting with the border agency)

And I guess I'll leave all the proportions and other details up to the expert PSers since you definitely know more about diamonds than I do. I felt super proud I found something with most of all the proportions in the ballpark of most recommendations online, so I won't pretend to know what's best and am happy to see what you can find!

And again, thanks so much everyone

Martin Sheffield at USA Certified Diamonds is based in Canada and is a well regarded vendor. Their website is very basic, but they are known for great prices and great customer service. You can post the specs for anything Martin suggests here for verification and peace of mind, but if you let him know you are looking for "PriceScope quality" he will steer you in the right direction.

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
I've reached out on Martin's website, thank you for the suggestion.

I'm curious, for an SI1 are there inclusions that are better than others that wouldn't affect performance? I understand eye clean vs. not (for example, a dark crystal) but when the stone looks to me to be eye clean other than knowing what the inclusion is I don't know much else.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've reached out on Martin's website, thank you for the suggestion.

I'm curious, for an SI1 are there inclusions that are better than others that wouldn't affect performance? I understand eye clean vs. not (for example, a dark crystal) but when the stone looks to me to be eye clean other than knowing what the inclusion is I don't know much else.

Yes. The idea is that if there's a cloud that is significant enough/big enough to be entirely responsible for the SI1 clarity grade, it might be negatively affecting performance. On the other hand, if there is an SI1 with a few inclusions (e.g. cloud, twinning wisp, etc), then it's less likely that the cloud is giant/problematic. One kind of inclusion to avoid is knots, since essentially it opens up the stone to damage later on (that point is contentious, but just to be safe I generally tell people to avoid it). There are lots of inclusions that are fine as long as they're eye clean (crystal, twinning wisp, feather, etc). And clouds are fine as long as they aren't the only inclusion on an SI1/SI2.

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
That makes sense, and funny enough I would of thought the opposite before but now I completely get why you would want cloud + a few others at SI1. Thanks

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That makes sense, and funny enough I would of thought the opposite before but now I completely get why you would want cloud + a few others at SI1. Thanks
Scattered white crystals are the best inclusions to have on SI1 stones.

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, back with a different diamond. This one scores very well on HCA at 1.5 and I'm awaiting pictures/videos to check out the inclusions, but I went up into the VS2 range and avoided clouds ahah. The only number that concerns me is the table at 59% (rather than the 55-57% that seems to be ideal)--depending on where I look I see some that state it will still be an ideal cut, vs. others that recommend lower table. In any case, while I wait for the pictures/videos, let me know what you think of the GIA certificate: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6351214613&s=1590962896160

Thanks folks

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
Here are my personal suggestions:
1. the first JA stone looks great. A 45% star means shallower angles of the upper-level facets, which is total ok -- it reduces the chance of leakage in the upper-girdle facets. It also has a small table and high crown. If there is not too much cloud, I recommend that one.
2. the second store, 59% table is big and 14% crown is on the low end. It will not have more fire theoretically, but it should be bright.

My personal preference would be the first one, if its clarity grade is not based on cloud.

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply!

I asked JA if they could get me idealscope images or anything like that, but they said given the closures due to COVID this would not be possible. Is there any way for me to find out more about the cloud, or would this be a purchase and hope it's good once I get it in person?

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply!

I asked JA if they could get me idealscope images or anything like that, but they said given the closures due to COVID this would not be possible. Is there any way for me to find out more about the cloud, or would this be a purchase and hope it's good once I get it in person?

You can ask for the certificate and if the certificate says something like "clarity is graded mainly based on cloud", then you would like to skip it.
Another point is that I checked the JA video of the 0.71 carat again. The profile view shows that the diamond body color is not yellow but more like a gray undertone. This will affects its value as well as its face up color (not white enough). I suggest you skip it and keep searching.
What is your criteria and budget?

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
The GIA says just: cloud (does not include anything about clouds not shown or anything like that).
Criteria:

Cut: round brilliant with ideal proportions
Clarity: SI1/VS2? ... eye-clean is good-enough for me (judge of this will be my partner who will stare at it non-stop, she has zero diamond/gemstone expertise and only ok eyesight ahaha)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone, back with a different diamond. This one scores very well on HCA at 1.5 and I'm awaiting pictures/videos to check out the inclusions, but I went up into the VS2 range and avoided clouds ahah. The only number that concerns me is the table at 59% (rather than the 55-57% that seems to be ideal)--depending on where I look I see some that state it will still be an ideal cut, vs. others that recommend lower table. In any case, while I wait for the pictures/videos, let me know what you think of the GIA certificate: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6351214613&s=1590962896160

Thanks folks

Any images of this one?

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
The GIA says just: cloud (does not include anything about clouds not shown or anything like that).
Criteria:

Cut: round brilliant with ideal proportions
Clarity: SI1/VS2? ... eye-clean is good-enough for me (judge of this will be my partner who will stare at it non-stop, she has zero diamond/gemstone expertise and only ok eyesight ahaha)

If GIA said cloud but nothing else, then you want to avoid it. There is a large chance that the diamond is "milky".
I did some search for you but unfortunately did not find anything good on James Allen or Blue Nile. :(
If you are willing to go J color, white flash has two A cut above

If you want to stay in I color and willing to increase the budget to 2500USD, they also have two options:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am less concerned about a cloud in a VS2 stone. But would still want to see pics

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the continued replies and discussion.

I get the feeling you're right about the stone being milky or cloudy, as otherwise the angles/cut seems to be too good to be true at that price point for the first JA stone I shared. This, plus the fact I cannot get any better pictures of idealscope, H&A, etc. from them means I will trust my gut and avoid it.

Thank you for doing a search for me and I'm glad we're both seeing that there isn't much in what I am hoping for. Not shocking given the tough criteria I feel like I've set. The two J stones look good, but I think the colour would definitely show in the J range (I've read for a white gold setting I colour should be the absolute lowest colour grade to go with). Do you agree with this?

For the second stone, I should be getting images shared with me today. I will definitely share these to this message thread if/when I get them. The inclusions for it are feather and crystal, so I'm hoping that these in the VS2 range will not be a problem ahah.

And I'm not against preloved to be honest (not sure if my partner would agree with this, though ahah), but I know she's very clear on wanting a white gold setting so I wouldn't want to get this one and need to take it out and get a setting separately.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the continued replies and discussion.

I get the feeling you're right about the stone being milky or cloudy, as otherwise the angles/cut seems to be too good to be true at that price point for the first JA stone I shared. This, plus the fact I cannot get any better pictures of idealscope, H&A, etc. from them means I will trust my gut and avoid it.

Thank you for doing a search for me and I'm glad we're both seeing that there isn't much in what I am hoping for. Not shocking given the tough criteria I feel like I've set. The two J stones look good, but I think the colour would definitely show in the J range (I've read for a white gold setting I colour should be the absolute lowest colour grade to go with). Do you agree with this?

For the second stone, I should be getting images shared with me today. I will definitely share these to this message thread if/when I get them. The inclusions for it are feather and crystal, so I'm hoping that these in the VS2 range will not be a problem ahah.

And I'm not against preloved to be honest (not sure if my partner would agree with this, though ahah), but I know she's very clear on wanting a white gold setting so I wouldn't want to get this one and need to take it out and get a setting separately.

I don't think the VS2 one will be a problem. Do you have a link to that stone so we can see images/videos? I am much more worried about an SI1 where the only inclusion is a cloud vs. a VS2.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I found you a winner,but don't want to post until you can see it and potentially put it on hold (because of lurkers who snatch stones out from udner people). Can you tag me (quote this post) when you see this and are ready for me to post it? We don't have a PM/DM feature, so I don't want to post it and have you not see this for hours and then have the stone be gone.

DMK_Dan

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I'll take a look!
I think I found you a winner,but don't want to post until you can see it and potentially put it on hold (because of lurkers who snatch stones out from udner people). Can you tag me (quote this post) when you see this and are ready for me to post it? We don't have a PM/DM feature, so I don't want to post it and have you not see this for hours and then have the stone be gone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results