shape
carat
color
clarity

First Time Buyer Looking for Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaguar

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone! Well itlooks like it is time for me to grow up, accept my responsibility, and give my girlfriend the gift she is waiting for -- that''s right, having to deal with me for the next several decades. :)

But I am digressing from what brings me here. I have been perusing some of the posts on this site, and it is quite obvious that the group that posts on here is very knowledgeable about diamonds (or at least more knowledgeable than me - which in the case of diamonds, does not take much). I have two questions:

1. Is BlueNile.com a reputable site?
2. Is this a princess diamond? (please see below)

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

sample image, not actual size

sample image, not actual size

length:
6.69mm width:
6.26mm table%: 77% depth:
4.41mm girdle:
medium to slightly thick culet:
none depth%:
70.4%

1.00 1.07 1.20

1.52-Carat Princess-Cut Diamond
This Very Good-cut, I-color, and VS1-clarity diamond comes accompanied by a diamond grading report from the GIA.
GIA
Order in the next 16 hours 40 minutes for delivery loose on Monday, February 5 or set in jewelry on Wednesday, February 7.
Price: $7,410 to your ring
to your pendant
to shopping basket

About the Diamond

Stock number: LD00914201

Price: $7,410

Bank wire price: $7,299

Carat weight: 1.52

Cut: Very Good

Color: I

Clarity: VS1

Depth %: 70.4%

Table %: 77%

Symmetry: Very good

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Medium to slightly thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 6.69 x 6.26 x 4.41 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.07

Cut: Very Good

This diamond has been cut to allow it to reflect nearly all light as fire and brilliance. This is an outstanding cut with a negligible visible difference from an ideal-cut diamond, but at a lower price. Color: I

This diamond, when cut to ideal proportions, produces a warm brilliancy not found in the higher grade colors. I-color diamonds are less expensive than other diamonds, so you can buy a larger diamond for the same price as a higher color grade. Note: If this diamond has medium or strong blue fluorescence, its slight tint will be partially masked, making the diamond appear whiter to the eye. Clarity: VS1

This diamond has few, very small inclusions. The inclusions are very difficult to see under a 10x power magnification, and are almost never visible to the unaided eye. VS1 grade diamonds present an excellent value in clarity because they are typically free of visible blemishes, and they are less expensive than higher clarity grades.

About the Diamond

Diamond Grading Report

GIA

Diamond Grading Report

Learn the definitions of the terms used in a diamond certificate.

Shipping Information
Order by: 3 PM ET tomorrow
Receive on: Monday, February 5 loose or Wednesday, February 7 when set in jewelry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jaguar

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the insight. You just taught me something new. Do you mind telling me which site you used for your diamond?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is rectangular. Length/width=1.07

jaguar

Rough_Rock
Good point. It is supposed be to close to 1.00, right?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
<1.05 is the standard for squareness

jaguar

Rough_Rock
Thanks again. I appreciate the assistance.

jaguar

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I was hoping to keep the diamond under $10K.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock

jaguar

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 11:47:03 PM
Author: hikerchick

Date: 2/1/2007 11:43:48 PM
Author: JulieN
1.52 H SI1 70.96% 71.13% AGS 1.49 id id neg 6.50x6.38x4.53 $9201
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1967/

Very good spread...
That one doesn''t look square either, does it?
New question: I have a relative who is a jeweler. She recommends looking at radiant cut diamonds because typically are more brilliant than princess cuts. What do you think about that?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.50/6.38=1.02 remember that we're only human.

princess>radiant

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 10:06:55 PM
Author: jaguar

Date: 2/1/2007 11:47:03 PM
Author: hikerchick

Date: 2/1/2007 11:43:48 PM
Author: JulieN
1.52 H SI1 70.96% 71.13% AGS 1.49 id id neg 6.50x6.38x4.53 $9201
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1967/

Very good spread...
That one doesn''t look square either, does it?
New question: I have a relative who is a jeweler. She recommends looking at radiant cut diamonds because typically are more brilliant than princess cuts. What do you think about that?
I''ve owned both. I like radiant better. Go look and compare for yourself. It''s a personal thing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing for me is that the princess is easier to buy since you can choose an ideal cut AGS0 princess, and radiants are not identified as ideal. It just takes more work to know you''re getting a great one. However, if I personally wanted a radiant, I''d just call Jonathan at Good Old Gold, because I think he can evaluate stones well and pick one for me.

That said, I''d also consider the cut-corner princess stones at WF called X-factor.

jaguar

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/3/2007 9:05:03 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
The only thing for me is that the princess is easier to buy since you can choose an ideal cut AGS0 princess, and radiants are not identified as ideal. It just takes more work to know you''re getting a great one. However, if I personally wanted a radiant, I''d just call Jonathan at Good Old Gold, because I think he can evaluate stones well and pick one for me.

That said, I''d also consider the cut-corner princess stones at WF called X-factor.
Thanks to everyone for their help. Looks like I will check out the radiant cut and see the difference. Also, with respect to the X-factor princess stones at Whiteflash, what is the benefit of cut corners? Do they reflect light better? Just trying to get a little more information.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
Blue Nile is a very reputable company. I got an excellent diamond and setting from them just last week and I couldn''t be happier. That said, you will really have to wade through each diamond and research them thoroughly, as most are GIA certified and may not tell you too much about the cut. The percentages are really important to pay attention to. It might be a good idea to choose an "ideal" cut instead of a "very good" cut. I think it''s pretty standardly believed that cut is the most important thing to look at, before you choose the other Cs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results