shape
carat
color
clarity

First time buyer, "hearts and arrows" vs GIA 3EX/AGS 3 Ideal

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am back after declining a 1 carat (lower quality) stone after advice here. I have two new questions. I have seen the light on the quality vs size issue and am considering GIA EX, EX, EX, or AGS triple Ideal. In my budget of $4500-5500(6000 max..), this puts me in a range of .70-.85 carat. 1)how low can I go on carat before the diamond starts to appear 'small'. .90 might be fine, but .75? this has a table of about 5.9mm... 2)How great is the difference of a 'hearts and arrows' vs a regular GIA EX, EX, EX, or AGS triple ideal? It looks impressive on a fantasy scope, but how much difference is discernable with the eye? I could swing a hearts and arrows but it would prob be .75. I might get more like .85-.9 otherwise. Generally, is the hearts and arrows worth the premium? Would I have swung too far on the other way going to a .75 carat premium ideal diamond? Thanks for the advice, its been extremely helpful! George

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: First time buyer, "hearts and arrows" vs GIA 3EX/AGS 3 I

Case by case. There can be well cut stone that are not marketed as H&A out there.

Even with stones marketed as H&A, it is case by case. Some vendors are not that strict on how they define H&A. Always request to see the Hearts image at least if the vendor claims that it is a H&A.

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock

Is it possible to buy online, with it basically requiring a stone to be personally viewed to determine its true cut quality?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Get the idealscope image and H&A if it is sold as a H&A. Else an idealscope image is good enough to judge light performance, bonus if you can get hearts image to show how well it's optical symm is.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

georgesmith35|1311279588|2974013 said:
Is it possible to buy online, with it basically requiring a stone to be personally viewed to determine its true cut quality?
Hi George,

I routinely have clients who buy things online with the contingency that it passes my approval for cut quality (among other things). Most professional appraisals do the same. Even ignoring that, I would recommend you flatly refuse to buy from ANY vendor who won't allow you the opportunity to personally inspect the stone yourself before the deal is cemented. Most sellers will give at least 10 days but typical these days seems to be 30. If you don't like it, if it doesn't meet with the approval of YOUR expert, your friends, your mother and your bride, back it goes and you're out nothing but the shipping.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

denverappraiser|1311337565|2974465 said:
georgesmith35|1311279588|2974013 said:
Hi George,

I routinely have clients who buy things online with the contingency that it passes my approval for cut quality (among other things). Most professional appraisals do the same. Even ignoring that, I would recommend you flatly refuse to buy from ANY vendor who won't allow you the opportunity to personally inspect the stone yourself before the deal is cemented. Most sellers will give at least 10 days but typical these days seems to be 30. If you don't like it, if it doesn't meet with the approval of YOUR expert, your friends, your mother and your bride, back it goes and you're out nothing but the shipping.

This is such a good idea. I recently got two diamonds through the internet and then took them both to a gemologist. She told me that she thought the SI1 diamond was less eye-clean than the SI2 diamond. The SI1 had one larger inclusion near the table, and the SI2 had several smaller inclusions towards the edges. The SI1 is being mailed back tomorrow, and I am keeping the SI2. My fiance had been leaning towards keeping the SI1 because it had "better" clarity. I need a new eyeglasses prescription, so both diamonds looked eye clean to me. I am so glad that I got a professional's opinion.

I did not go through an independent appraiser because I didn't have one near me and I didn't really have the time, but it's definitely something I would consider for future purchases!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

george to answer your original question, there are many tools that we can use to evaluate cut quality when buying online such as HCA, AGA cut class, idealscope image, ASET image, etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results