shape
carat
color
clarity

First set of CADs from DZ! !!

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Thoughts? Not finished.. there's 2 things to add.. but this is the 1st draft!

jamie_d.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would prefer a narrower air line gap than the one shown in the CAD.

DK :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1419987616|3809804 said:
Personally, I would prefer a narrower air line gap than the one shown in the CAD.

I was thinking the same thing. Looks good,but make the airline thinning.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They seem to have come back quickly.

Yes, I think a smaller air line gap might be better although looking back at the ring you are trying to duplicate the CAD seems pretty darn close as far as the gap.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
CAD looks good and very close. In my redesign of this ring, I also made the hairline smaller as it was too big for my liking.

The side of the original is a bit different.

Really fast turnaround for Ilya!

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
This is my 1st time making something. . So I'm not even sure how to tell realistically how big the gap will be. :(

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1419988914|3809828 said:
This is my 1st time making something. . So I'm not even sure how to tell realistically how big the gap will be. :(

Don't fret. Ita hard when you're first working with cads to see just exactly how it'll like IRL. its a very promising start. And heck, if it didn't need tweaking, they would just make it and not show you cads. :)

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately, he goes out of town tomorrow. . So, there will be no update until Tues :( An addition I'm adding to the CAD to see if I like it.. in the front and back, in between the airline gap, there's a small bar with a hole. I'm gonna see what it'll look like to add a peekaboo sapphire to cover that hole.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Ooo looks nice! Such fast turnaround time!

Who are you working with from diamond zone, I want to ask them for a quote too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would make the airline a lot smaller. Also I would see if there was a way to tilt the halo a bit so it's not so perpendicular to the shank.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AntiqueLover|1419990869|3809841 said:
Unfortunately, he goes out of town tomorrow. . So, there will be no update until Tues :( An addition I'm adding to the CAD to see if I like it.. in the front and back, in between the airline gap, there's a small bar with a hole. I'm gonna see what it'll look like to add a peekaboo sapphire to cover that hole.

I'm not sure I follow, where do you intend to add a sapphire?

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
To cover that hole. But I'm not even certain it will be visible in person. So I'm gonna see it in the CAD n then decide. Like I said.. 1st time ever making something lol

2014-12-30_17.jpg

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
dawnxcui|1419990936|3809843 said:
Ooo looks nice! Such fast turnaround time!

Who are you working with from diamond zone, I want to ask them for a quote too.
I'm working with Ilya. He has been amazing so far. Spoken for about a week, gave the deposit yesterday evening, and already got the 1st CAD today. He responds to emails fast, and is very patient with questions etc

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Here are clearer photos of the side of my friend's ring. You can also see what it looks like with an OEC.

jayring-side.jpg
jayring-front.jpg

b2f3c3fb04643e4f0e6edd3890b3ac0f.jpg

You can see in my version that I made the airline much smaller.
tranny-small.jpg
jh-tranny08.jpg
jh-tranny06.jpg

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo, would you mind asking your friend for a good pic of the side scroll, and the underside of the ring? It'd be greatly appreciated!

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I have checked the CADs to the original, and the airline is actually pretty spot on. The open space will be covered with a scroll though. So it doesn't look so open

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I won't see my friend for a bit so won't be able to get photos soon.

While the airline is the same, the original ring's airline is too wide in my opinion. But your ring and it sounds like you want it as close to the original as possible.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful inspiration and I agree with the others. A smaller airline would be even more lovely IMO and I would listen to Gypsy about tilting the halo a bit.
Good luck! I think your finished ring is going to be GORGEOUS. I love the setting. :love:

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea what you mean about tilting the halo.. or why you'd want to? Sorry, just not following. Isn't the halo supposed to just encircle the center stone? No idea how to even in vision that change. And about making the airline smallet.. if I were to do that, I don't think the scroll would fit.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure what is meant by a scroll, sorry! :confused:

As for tilting the halo, I believe it means lowering the outer edge of the halo, so that the inner edge nearest to the centre stone will be slightly higher. This will create a slight dome shape emphasising the centre stone.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
This is the scroll on either side of the shank. Sorry about the quality. . It's a photo while the video was paused.

2015-01-01_08.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the pic re: scroll. As far as I can make out, the width of the said scroll is made to fit under the halo, therefore, it should not be visible from the top and in the air line gap. However, I could be wrong.

As already mentioned in my previous post, I personally would prefer a smaller gap than the one shown in the CAD.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
No, it isn't visible from the top. Just the side. I can't say if I'd want the airline smaller or not as I've never seen the ring in person or tried on to say. To ME in the video it doesn't look bad. I guess it's a gamble either way

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is your ring, your personal preferences, and ultimately your decisions alone with regard to its design.

Good luck.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
I know dk. It's just hard being my 1st time doing this. It's hard to understand what others are seeing and why and exactly how it'll be, even from CADs.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not as well versed with CADS but I don't think I'd worry about tilting the halo on a vintage style ring - in modern halo styles the halo is angled a little so you see diamonds from the side. This is Frankie's ring, the halo slants down a little instead of going straight across.

As for the airline, ultimately it's up to you! I think it looks good, and you seemed to like the original ring, so if you're ok with it go for it. I think Charmy's pics are a good illustration of the slight difference in airline size. IMO it's subtle, and the slightly larger airline might give you a little more finger coverage.

11_1.jpg

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I prefer charmy's ring's airline. The bigger airline makes the dismond look smaller, even if the gap does give bigger overall coverage. Charmy's diamond is also bigger than Her friend's (to my eye), so I think the melee size in the halo should change relative to the center diamond size.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't tilt the halo for this design. The airline won't impact the scrolls.

AntiqueLover

Shiny_Rock
OMG!!! I'm such an idiot! ! Sigh. By airline.. I thought you meant the gap on the SIDE of the ring! The open space between the face metal and the underside. !! Which is why I kept mentioning the damn scroll!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, you're not an idiot! These terms can be confusing at first! Well, now that we're all talking about the same thing, what do you think? :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results