shape
carat
color
clarity

First pawn shop purchase—thanks to y’all!

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
I am a long time lurker (rare poster) and I have been drooling over the finds listed. I decided to dip my toe into the waters and found this sweet lil Belais set today. I plan to keep it—the set fits my ring finger perfectly. What do you think about sending it for a refresh? And about taking the rings apart (they are currently attached).

I want to keep the engraving—it has a date of 1931 inscribed. I love the history it represents and wonder about its journey. Given how well worn it is, I imagine (hope) that it was cherished. I also learned that David Belais helped start the Humane Society in the US and was an early proponent of animal welfare—a cause near and dear to my heart—which makes the set more special to me (and by extension the 4 cats and 2 dogs who currently share our lives).

Specs—none from the pawn store. They thought the set was 14k even though hallmark clearly states 18k. The wee diamond looks like a tranny with a teeny culet. No obvious inclusions at 10x. No ideas about color although looks tinted from the side. Best as I can measure the width of the diamond appears to be around 3.5 to 3.7 mm (digital calipers that my eyes can’t see well enough to place around the diamond ). My ASET skills show red primarily with a hint of blue and white along the girdle. No surprise there.

As for the band: looks like single cut (?) diamonds. Haven’t examined closely yet.

Pics! Pardon my beginner photos. I had to take photos even thought not best conditions—too excited to wait!

TIA for thoughts and suggestions!

2A045A13-A059-4E95-B3FD-0822FAA7B2D4.jpeg 0C8E4FB1-945B-411A-9DC4-4318ABAC5123.jpeg FB7879E0-3C93-4421-9C5E-A82F30382765.jpeg BF8A909D-6FDE-44DE-A00F-585F14561713.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow fantastic! I had a Belais ring and it was amazing, very detailed, have to see it in person to really appreciate it. These are beautiful and the diamonds are so pretty, wonderful find!

As far as a rehab, I would leave them as is but it’s up to you, I would however leave them together because then they always line up and look perfect.

So glad you posted, definitely update this thread with pictures once you get the rings sized. Oh and be forewarned that pawn shopping can be addictive, less fattening than potato chips though ;-)

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Wow fantastic! I had a Belais ring and it was amazing, very detailed, have to see it in person to really appreciate it. These are beautiful and the diamonds are so pretty, wonderful find!

As far as a rehab, I would leave them as is but it’s up to you, I would however leave them together because then they always line up and look perfect.

So glad you posted, definitely update this thread with pictures once you get the rings sized. Oh and be forewarned that pawn shopping can be addictive, less fattening than potato chips though ;-)

Heehee! It is addictive—I’m already looking for other pawn shops in my area and maybe even farther afield

Thank you for your sweet comments. I’m torn about refresh—luckily, no need to resize. And great suggestions to keep them together so they stay lined up. Even better, I don’t have to send off anywhere.

I was thinking of starting a search for an antique chubby heart diamond to represent all the animals that have crossed paths with me, but learning what I did about Belais, this will do it. And for a lot less $$$—yass!

Ps/ Love your posts and your Garrard find—how cool is that?! I can dream

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I’m really big on leaving things original as long as they don’t bother you. Except for prongs, if there is an issue with prongs then that’s different.

That’s a lovely tribute piece too and hey, I didn’t know that about Belais so you taught me something there.

Thanks so much, I was a bit disorganized in the beginning and have the posts to prove it haha. Getting the Garrard ring has slowed me down a lot though ;-)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oh man I love that band in particular. I would take them apart bc I would want the option to wear the band alone or with another ring (as long as it wouldn’t be damaged in the process). I have a Belais band and I love it.

ETA - I don’t know what you mean about “refresh”? I wouldn’t want to lose any patina.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Oh man I love that band in particular. I would take them apart bc I would want the option to wear the band alone or with another ring (as long as it wouldn’t be damaged in the process). I have a Belais band and I love it.

ETA - I don’t know what you mean about “refresh”? I wouldn’t want to lose any patina.

Thank you! I admit, I’ve overlooked the band. Tomorrow when the sun is out, I’m going to examine it in more detail. I did count 7 diamonds!

After I posted, I looked at the shank of the ring and it is extremely thin. I wonder if that is why it’s attached to the band. Hmm.

By refresh I mean sending it to someone like DKJ to look it over and suggest ways to redo parts of the ring that have worn down/ worn away. I may have to have the prongs touched up to be safe. Will look at them tomorrow too. That said, I don’t want to take away from the antique quality and perhaps, as I write this, I realize that by touching up, I probably would be doing exactly what I don’t want. Ugh. This is so new to me!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I have two rings soldered with a band very similar and the shank on the band is very thin. Makes me think that they solder the bands to the e-ring because it’s cheaper than reshanking:

A0C61492-A4CF-45BB-8D26-E2FEDEE7AF7D.jpeg

A23252A6-D304-4687-BA69-1A3B9D47D023.jpeg

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
You know, I have two rings soldered with a band very similar and the shank on the band is very thin. Makes me think that they solder the bands to the e-ring because it’s cheaper than reshanking:

A0C61492-A4CF-45BB-8D26-E2FEDEE7AF7D.jpeg

A23252A6-D304-4687-BA69-1A3B9D47D023.jpeg

What a sweet set! I think you are right about soldering. I took a picture today and the shank is even thinner than the one you have.

What’s interesting is that the metal of the two pieces looks different. The ring is darker with almost a discoloration or maybe at some point it was a two tone. The band has a brighter metal. Maybe the ring is older (hence the thin shank) The dated 1931 engraving is on the band. So fascinating to wonder!

Btw, I went to another pawn shop in my area and the manager told me at least here these types of rings and the older cuts are fewer. Overall pawn business is lower—he thought some it if was because of the low price of gold? I don’t know. That said, they are still out there and the hunt bug has bitten me hard.

3F4D41AD-07BF-4994-82D9-00116BFFDB71.jpeg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Love the detail and engraving.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results