shape
carat
color
clarity

First patio party, need help with burger toppings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know what is amazing MIXED into burgers for a change of pace? Brown sugar and maple syrup. Sounds weird but it is incredible. The only thing I miss about my ex boyfriend is his brown sugar and maple burgers!
2.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
MAN this thread makes me want a hamburger right now!!!

Are you making the burgers from scratch? If so, it''s always yummy to mix in some sprinkle cheese (even just cheddar or american is good, and cheap). I also like to mix in meat seasonings, such as the McCormick Grill Mates in containers or packets. (http://www.mccormick.com/products/grillmates.aspx) - I just get them at the grocery store and mix in a bunch of it with the meat before I make the patties. I really like the Montreal Steak, the Garlic and Herb, and the Garlic and Onion medley. They also have a hamburger one I''ve never tried. I use the marinade packets a lot for my chicken, but have never made hamburger patties with them - I bet they''d make some AWESOME burgers - very juicy and yummy!

I personally always love some chili on my hamburger too - can be messy, but sooooo good.
9.gif

OK, I officially am craving a burger now... must... not... give... in!!!
15.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!!

bee, thanks. I''ll be watching for it, sounds good.

jet, mind sharing the recipe for the pinapple chipotle? And so glad to see you''re still talking to me.
9.gif
2.gif

ahappygirl, I will definitely try that sometime! Very different. I think I''ll experiment on us first though.
28.gif

Ok neat, the egg was weird, but that, is strange.....
9.gif
However, I will reserve final judgement until I actually try it.
2.gif
Actually, now that I really try to imagine the taste, it kinda reminds me of getting pancake syrup on my sausage. I bet it''s not a whole lot different!

luv, yes, making them from scratch. I have done this too, seasoning them before making patties. However, with these different toppings I''m coming up with, I wonder if it would all be compatible, yanno? I will definitely try those particular suggestions myself though, thanks!

And again, thanks to you all !

I''m still amazed at the egg.....

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok so for the salsa in the recipe book it says-
2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1 avocado, chopped into small cubes.

I find it a lot tastier to add it to a tomato salsa though. Really tangy and fresh.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 5:06:47 PM
Author: bee*
ok so for the salsa in the recipe book it says-
2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1 avocado, chopped into small cubes.

I find it a lot tastier to add it to a tomato salsa though. Really tangy and fresh.
Oh wow, that sounds delish! I's makin it.
9.gif
Thankies mam!

Now, do you use real lime juice, or the stuff in the plastic lime thingy? And when you say "tomato salsa", do you mean one without much spices in it, or with?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I usually use fresh lime (cos then the lads normally put the rest of it in their beer!). I doubt there would be too much difference though with the other stuff though. For the salsa, there''s a really good Irish brand that I usually use but when I made my own I usually did:

2 sliced and diced tomatoes.
1/2 red onion diced
1 jalapeño chili pepper diced
Lime Juice
some chopped coriander (fresh if possible)
Some oregano (fresh )
Little bit of salt and pepper.

So if you''re adding the avocado you can just add it to the recipe above instead of doing the other one unless you want the sweet chilli sauce with it.

Think I have my plan for dinner tomorrow-got hungry just typing that out!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks miss bee. I''ll have to figure out which to do. And I''ll use the real lime, I think fresh is probably better, and I drink beer....
31.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ellen,

The easiest way for the pineapple chipotle.

One ~7.5oz can of chipotle's in adobo sauce
One ~20oz can of crushed pineapple (I prefer in juice instead of syrup, but either will work)
One or two cloves garlic, finely minced

Puree the contents of the can of chipotle's and the garlic in a blender. Add the pineapple and blend until your desired consistency. I have made it chunky with little blending of the pineapple and smoother by pureeing it down. That will work by itself if you wish. I usually add about 2-3 tblsp of blackstrap molasses and a couple pinches of salt with the pineapple, but most people don't keep molasses around for cooking.

Be sure to make this at least two days ahead of time, as the time in the fridge will let the flavors blend and bring out a little more heat. This version has a sweet taste with just a little heat at the back. I'm working on one that is hotter and doesn't use canned, but haven't got the adobo sauce down yet.

Enjoy. Hope the party goes well.

(Why wouldn't I talk to you? What's one little error, more or less? Though you might want to let someone else try the sauce first,
11.gif
2.gif
--jk!
9.gif
)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 7:10:13 PM
Author: jet2ks
Hey Ellen,

The easiest way for the pineapple chipotle.

One ~7.5oz can of chipotle''s in adobo sauce
One ~20oz can of crushed pineapple (I prefer in juice instead of syrup, but either will work)
One or two cloves garlic, finely minced

Puree the contents of the can of chipotle''s and the garlic in a blender. Add the pineapple and blend until your desired consistency. I have made it chunky with little blending of the pineapple and smoother by pureeing it down. That will work by itself if you wish. I usually add about 2-3 tblsp of blackstrap molasses and a couple pinches of salt with the pineapple, but most people don''t keep molasses around for cooking.

Be sure to make this at least two days ahead of time, as the time in the fridge will let the flavors blend and bring out a little more heat. This version has a sweet taste with just a little heat at the back. I''m working on one that is hotter and doesn''t use canned, but haven''t got the adobo sauce down yet.

Enjoy. Hope the party goes well.

(Why wouldn''t I talk to you? What''s one little error, more or less? Though you might want to let someone else try the sauce first,
11.gif
2.gif
--jk!
9.gif
)
lol.gif

Thank you, it sounds yummy, and easy! And actually, I "did" have a bottle of molasses at one time, but it sat in my cabinet so long I finally pitched it, without ever using it.
9.gif

I will let you know how it turns out, though I''m not sure if it will be included in this round or the next. I''ve gotten so many ideas I am not sure which to make! Thanks again!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 7:42:03 PM
Author: Ellen

I will let you know how it turns out, though I''m not sure if it will be included in this round or the next. I''ve gotten so many ideas I am not sure which to make! Thanks again!

Fried eggs made the list, right?
31.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 7:47:49 PM
Author: EBree

Date: 4/20/2009 7:42:03 PM

Fried eggs made the list, right?
31.gif
For my drunkest friend, yes.
27.gif
9.gif
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 4:58:32 PM

Ok neat, the egg was weird, but that, is strange.....
9.gif
However, I will reserve final judgement until I actually try it.
2.gif
Actually, now that I really try to imagine the taste, it kinda reminds me of getting pancake syrup on my sausage. I bet it''s not a whole lot different!

Sounds weird but think about it...BBQ sauce often has some brown sugar or molasses or something sweet in it too! It''s just like the sweet/salty thing. And honestly, you would NEVER know it was in there...doesn''t taste sweet per se-just yummy!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Mix together mayo with enough mustard to make the color a light yellow. You can also add chopped onions to this mixture (great on hot dogs, too)and you will not believe how good this is to be so simple.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 6:28:15 PM
Thanks miss bee. I''ll have to figure out which to do. And I''ll use the real lime, I think fresh is probably better, and I drink beer....
31.gif

lol-you''ll have to get the fresh lime then
31.gif
. It''s a must!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 12:14:28 PM
Author: neatfreak
You know what is amazing MIXED into burgers for a change of pace? Brown sugar and maple syrup. Sounds weird but it is incredible. The only thing I miss about my ex boyfriend is his brown sugar and maple burgers!
2.gif

Add bacon to this recipe for a FANTASTIC burger!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 5:43:09 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Date: 4/20/2009 12:14:28 PM
Author: neatfreak
2.gif

Add bacon to this recipe for a FANTASTIC burger!!
Ok, did you and neat date the same guy??
9.gif
2.gif
Seriously, I will try this in the future. One question, how much syrup/brown sugar to a lb. of burger?

dianne, thanks. That does sound good, especially with the onion. I am so bummed, I went to the store yesterday and the Vidalia''s still aren''t in.
39.gif

bee, I''ve actually had lime in Mexican beer while on vaca, just never tried it on domestic. I guess I thought it wouldn''t be the same? But I''ll let ya know.
28.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 7:47:25 AM

bee, I''ve actually had lime in Mexican beer while on vaca, just never tried it on domestic. I guess I thought it wouldn''t be the same? But I''ll let ya know.
28.gif

Well I don''t drink beer at all so you can blame D if it goes horribly wrong
3.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
The best burger I ever ate had the norm (cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc) with fried egg, potato sticks, and bacon.
So yummy!!!

Neat''s idea is intriguing. I might try it tonight!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 7:58:59 AM
Author: bee*

Date: 4/22/2009 7:47:25 AM

28.gif

Well I don''t drink beer at all so you can blame D if it goes horribly wrong
3.gif
lol! K, it''s always more fun to blame the guy anyway.
9.gif

lucky, here we go with the egg again! Though you''ve thrown a new one in the mix with potato sticks. Vellly intellesting....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to update.

I made bee's avacado salsa, the original recipe. I thought it turned out well, and someone else also tried it and really liked it. I made the mustard mayo that Diane suggested and that was a hit. Also made a horseradish mayo, one of my friends loved that. Nobody ate the jalapeno cream cheese stuff. I just chopped them up and mixed in. It turned out "ok". Also had sliced tomatoes, and hubby found Vidalia onions at another store, so I sliced those up too. Gosh I love those things.

Then I tried to make a blu cheese butter. I followed the directions, which were to melt salted butter, then add chopped shallots or yellow onion and cook til clear, add blu cheese and melt. Can I just say, I have never tasted anything SO salty in my life.
yikes2.gif
lol.gif
It was totally unedible, even for me, who loves salt. I didn't want to pitch it, so I started adding cream cheese. After about 2/3 of an 8oz block, it was tasting ok. Then I cooled it and rolled it into a log and chilled. It was a big hit with one of my girlfriends. I also grilled pineapple rings, which were a really big hit. I ended up having the blu cheese butter with pineapple. Yummy! Next time I will use unsalted butter and less cheese to butter.

So all in all, everything went over really well. I think they were all pleasantly surprised at the choice of toppings, made the burgers fun!

So thanks again, and I will be trying your other suggestions in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results