shape
carat
color
clarity

First patio party, need help with burger toppings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s going to be nice and warm here next Sat., so we''re having our first patio party for the year. I want to keep it simple and cheap. I normally go nuts with food and appetizers, but not this time. So we''re providing the hamburgers, and I thought making one or two "toppings" would add a lil spice, instead of the usual mustard, ketchup, etc.. Does anyone have any tried and true recipes? that don''t require much work? that won''t cost a lot? I don''t ask for much, do I??
9.gif

You guys have been so helpful in the past, I figured I''d ask you instead of consulting cookbooks!
5.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I don''t have actual recipes, but what about putting out different types of cheeses that people can have with their burgers? I know, not too original, but you could do various smoked cheeses, blue cheese, brie, etc.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I haven't tasted this myself, but it gets good reviews on All Recipes, and you might have most of the ingredients already:

Secret Burger Sauce

Another idea: thinly-sliced grilled onions. Mmmmmmm.
9.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
avacado/guacamole
bacon
BBQ sauce
onion rings
bleu cheese stuffed hamburgers (any cheese stuffed hamburgers)
peppers
chiles
salsa

We''re having burgers for dinner tonight, YUM! It''s 97 here, which is amazing considering it was 59 degrees on Monday. So excited about the warm weather.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
How about sauteed mushrooms and/or onions?

Bacon

Bobby Flay makes a chipolte ketchup. He also makes a blue cheese sauce.
18.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Fancy cheeses and bacon.....

cheers--Shaorn

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can try mixing a tiny bit of worchestershire sauce in with the ground beef to jazz it up a bit. My DH loves that.

Also, for the onions, use red ones.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Tzatziki can be good on a burger!! Especially in warm weather.

I don''t follow a recipe, but use come combination of:
- thick Greek yogurt (like Fage)
- cucumbers (chopped, salted, and drained of excess water beforehand)
- lemon juice
- fresh garlic (chopped finely or mashed)
- fresh dill, minced
- salt & pepper to taste

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!

I thought of cheeses, but they are expensive, and I''m really trying to keep the cost down. I can grill onions, they''re definitely good, just time consuming.

Ebree, that recipe does get great reviews, but they say it taste like 1000 island dressing, not sure how many people like that, yanno?

Something with blu cheese sounds good, but probably because I love the stuff, not sure anyone else would...

Hmmm, kleep the ideas coming!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
mc, that''s a thought, I think most people like that.

TBT, that sounds very interesting!

E B

Ideal_Rock
What about homemade pesto? And if your crowd likes things spicy, chopped jalapenos?

ETA: Roasted red peppers? Fried egg slices?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 6:16:13 PM
Author: EBree
What about homemade pesto? And if your crowd likes things spicy, chopped jalapenos?

That''s weird, I was just poking around for toppings and read about fried eggs. Never heard of such a thing! Have you eaten this Ebree?

Has anyone ever done grilled pinapple rings? I have heard about these long ago and always thought of trying it but never have. I also saw mention of flavored cream cheese. That could have endless possibilities, and I thought of jalapenos! Also, what about dill pickle relish mixed in with it, sound good or bad? bacon, mushrooms, you could put almost anything....

RLG

Shiny_Rock
Pineapple slices with teriyaki sauce and swiss cheese.
3.gif

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 6:24:58 PM
Author: Ellen

That''s weird, I was just poking around for toppings and read about fried eggs. Never heard of such a thing! Have you eaten this Ebree?

Has anyone ever done grilled pinapple rings? I have heard about these long ago and always thought of trying it but never have. I also saw mention of flavored cream cheese. That could have endless possibilities, and I thought of jalapenos! Also, what about dill pickle relish mixed in with it, sound good or bad? bacon, mushrooms, you could put almost anything....

Fried eggs on burgers are SOO good! It sounds weird, but it works. Another idea, instead of regular tomatoes, use fried green tomatoes. Just had a fried green tomato burger this weekend!
18.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 6:35:52 PM
Author: blackpolkadot

Fried eggs on burgers are SOO good! It sounds weird, but it works. Another idea, instead of regular tomatoes, use fried green tomatoes. Just had a fried green tomato burger this weekend!
18.gif
really??
6.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 5:49:39 PM
Author: steph72276
How about sauteed mushrooms and/or onions?

I was going to suggest sauteed mushrooms/onions too. We usually do this when will grill burgers at our family BBQ''s.

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 6:42:22 PM
Author: icekid

18.gif

really??
6.gif

Yep! Gimme a burger, sunny-side up!
10.gif

:)

Brilliant_Rock

18.gif
Yum!

El, these aren''t recipes (so might not fit your need, but may, in fact, be easier!), but there is a really popular burger place in town (actually it was one of Oprah''s ''favorite things'') - maybe these will give you ''food for thought''...

Here are their toppings...
red onion
black olives
carrot strings
dill pickles
dried cranberries
grilled onions
grilled pineapple
hard boiled eggs
jalapenos
lettuce
mixed greens
roasted chiles
roasted corn and black bean salsa
roasted red peppers
scallions
pepperoncinis
sprouts
tomato
avocado
ham
chili
fried egg
fried onion strings
guacamole
bacon
sauteed mushrooms
sun dried tomato

Their cheese choices:
blue cheese
feta
gruyere
herb goat cheese
horseradish cheddar
swiss
jalapeno jack
sharp provolone
cheddar
american

Their sauces: (don''t have the recipes for these, but maybe if you liked the idea you could find one)
apricot sauce
caramelized onion marmalade
country buttermilk ranch
dijon balsamic
ginger soy glaze
honey mustard
horseradish mayo
mayonaise
peanut sauce
peppercorn steak sauce
red relish (??)
roasted garlic aioli
Russian dressing
southwest caesar
spicy sour cream
sun dried tomato vinaigrette
sweet bbq sauce

For buns they offer:
english muffin
lettuce bowl
hamburger bun
honey wheat bun

E B

Ideal_Rock

I haven''t, but I can guarantee I''d like it. My husband also adds two thumbs up to the idea. Grilled pineapple rings also sound good- I love mixing sweet and salty.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

18.gif
Yes, yes it does.
9.gif
But hey, I''ve heard of (and probaly eaten) weirder things! I "may" just have to fry a couple and make someone else try it first!
lol.gif
2.gif
And ya know, a fried green tomato does sound good! Maybe with a little horseradish mayo??
18.gif

RLG, THAT sounds good!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 7:03:53 PM

I haven''t, but I can guarantee I''d like it. My husband also adds two thumbs up to the idea. Grilled pineapple rings also sound good- I love mixing sweet and salty.
Yeah, me too.
30.gif

Miss Smilers, thank you! Tons of ideas there.
bat%20eyes3.gif
36.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
avocado salsa is yummy on burgers. I did that a few weeks ago when people were over and it went down a treat.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 7:18:56 PM
Author: bee*
avocado salsa is yummy on burgers. I did that a few weeks ago when people were over and it went down a treat.
Is this something pre-made, or do you have a recipe you would share wif me?
bat%20eyes3.gif

I'm hoping when I go to the store next, the Vidalia onions are finally in.
30.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I love grilled pineapple and BBQ sauce. Thousand Island dressing is also good and makes you think of a big mac

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hehe23.gif

egyptian.gif
trampo.gif
party.gif
dancing_penguin.gif

party2.gif
dance2.gif
drinkingbuddies.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Grilled pineapple is great. I also make my own pineapple chipotle sauce and a wasabi mayo that are great on burgers. Both are very easy to make at home.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I will love my hamburguer with avocado, ham, fried onions, and
5.gif
Now I want a hamburguer for lunch
3.gif

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
For a change of pace, we like chicken/ turkey burgers with a spicy thai peanut sauce. The EASY recipe is from Cooking Light and it is moist, flavorful and has a little kick!

Sauce: (this is 4 small servings)
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp dark sesame oil
1 tsp water
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced (love garlic but don''t overdo it with this recipe)

Burgers:

1/2 c finely chopped green onions
1 tbsp chile paste with garlic (this is your heat source!)
2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1 lb ground chicken or turkey

Rec serve on sesame bun, top with sprouts

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 8:07:30 AM
Date: 4/19/2009 7:18:56 PM

Author: bee*

Is this something pre-made, or do you have a recipe you would share wif me?
bat%20eyes3.gif

I''m hoping when I go to the store next, the Vidalia onions are finally in.
30.gif

I buy a homemade salsa from the deli normally and then add in chopped avocados and some other herbs but I can''t remember what they are at the moment. I have a recipe at home so I''ll post it when I get home tonight. It''s really tasty on a burger.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
You can grill red onions right on the grill. Slice them in concentric circles equatorially. Then skewer them through with a bamboo skewer or toothpicks or something. Brush some balsamic & olive oil on them and grill while the burgers are cooking. Tasty tasty!

Other ideas I like to add flavors to burgers. I add curry powder, ground coriander & ground cumin to the beef when I''m making the burgers.

As far of burger dressings:
salsa
avocado
grilled onions
mushrooms

I don''t like most condiments, so I either have my burgers dry or with BBQ sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results