shape
carat
color
clarity

First meal out since lockdown, woo hoo!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just booked my first meal out since lockdown, at the only 2-star restaurant in my country, about an hour's drive away for Saturday 11 July 2020.

The chef recently won the Great British Menu competition, and the meal will feature winning dishes that he cooked.

I have been to this restaurant in the past when it was under another chef, and had my best meal ever a few years ago.

They do great afternoon teas with exquisite cakes, pastries and sandwiches.

The tables were so far apart even before lockdown in their vast dining room, I doubt if they had to do much to re-arrange their layout.

The only snag is that I shall be driving, so mocktails and a glass of wine with the meal, that's all.

I guess it is a celebratory meal for lockdown restrictions being relaxed! Can't wait!

Wish I could go to choir practices and the local pub that I frequent, it will be a while before they would be allowed to resume, hey ho!

Anyone else has some sort of celebration planned for (slowly) coming out of lockdown?

DK :))

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Can't imagine choir practices in masks. Just like violin with mute:). Also singers need oxygen a lot!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just booked my first meal out since lockdown, at the only 2-star restaurant in my country, about an hour's drive away for Saturday 11 July 2020.

The chef recently won the Great British Menu competition, and the meal will feature winning dishes that he cooked.

I have been to this restaurant in the past when it was under another chef, and had my best meal ever a few years ago.

They do great afternoon teas with exquisite cakes, pastries and sandwiches.

The tables were so far apart even before lockdown in their vast dining room, I doubt if they had to do much to re-arrange their layout.

The only snag is that I shall be driving, so mocktails and a glass of wine with the meal, that's all.

I guess it is a celebratory meal for lockdown restrictions being relaxed! Can't wait!

Wish I could go to choir practices and the local pub that I frequent, it will be a while before they would be allowed to resume, hey ho!

Anyone else has some sort of celebration planned for (slowly) coming out of lockdown?

I'm guessing you mean a 2-Michelin Star restaurant, rather than some 2-star-rated greasy spoon café on the side of a dual carriageway... ;-) lol :lol:

I am jealous, though - I don't go to nice places anywhere near enough!

Hope you have an awesome time :)

Will you take pictures of your food for Instagram and on here, like proper tourists? ;)) LOL :D

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Yay for you!
We went out for a meal yesterday and it was really nice. Tables were spaced very far apart and we felt quite safe.

During quarantine we did a curbside pickup from a 3 star restaurant. It was absolutely fabulous. 6 courses for only $50 USD each. We added a bottle of wine for $40USD and got what was a $80USD bottle of wine. All the courses were individually packaged and simply needed some heating. Some were cold.

Please post photos of the menu and food so we can enjoy vicariously! Shame you can't do the wine pairing but maybe next time?

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
And for those who enjoy fine dining--check out exploretock.com. It's an online ordering platform for fine dining for takeout during quarantine. A chance to do takeout from some pretty special restaurants.
Mostly US but some Australian and European cities. Really a great buy for most of these places if you live close enough to go pick up.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did dine out a few times since some restaurants reopen, but I heard today Ca. is once again closed for indoor dining.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Musia sadly, singing in a choir is probably one of the last activities to resume. A study has been conducted to establish the risk of Covid-19 transmission somewhere in UK recently, just hope the results would be encouraging. :(2

@OoohShiny indeed, KFC does not quite cut it for me as a celebratory meal somehow! :lol-2:

@Elizabeth35 hope you enjoyed your meal. Apparently, some gourmet restaurants in London were doing takeaways as I remember reading about an article in a newspaper. I would probably be tempted if there were gourmet restaurants nearer me. Probably a good thing living in the sticks, as I would probably eat out a lot more if I were living in a big city with good restaurants.

@Dancing Fire that's a shame! :(2

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post pics of your food! Please!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post pics of your food! Please!

Sorry, however, I really don't like to take photos of food when I eat out.

Happy to do it at home of my own efforts, however, not when I eat out.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Okay--maybe a photo of the menu? Or even a link to the website so we can see the menu?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, I did ponder if I should wait to find someone to go with me, however, only one or two friends are interested in fine dining, and I doubt they would be available in such short notice (the restaurant re-opens on 10 July 2020).

Hence I decided to go on my own.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, I did ponder if I should wait to find someone to go with me, however, only one or two friends are interested in fine dining, and I doubt they would be available in such short notice (the restaurant re-opens on 10 July 2020).

Hence I decided to go on my own.

Oh hi

;-)

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds amazing! I hope you enjoy!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol-2:

I am sure we shall meet, along with other UK PSers, in the future.

Joking aside, where are you based, as I may well be camping in my van near you one day?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, however, I really don't like to take photos of food when I eat out. ...

However are you going to get followers and likes on social media? :Up_to_something:
Everyone's going to think you're a nobody. :cry2:
Get with it, lady. :naughty:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Wow---that menu looks amazing!
I totally understand that you don't want to photograph each course.

Please fill us in on your experience afterward. Full notes on each course--lol.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol-2:

I am sure we shall meet, along with other UK PSers, in the future.

Joking aside, where are you based, as I may well be camping in my van near you one day?

I am to the east of the big smoke but sadly not living anywhere that pretty, so I'm pretty sure you won't be camping near me! :D lol

I can't wait to have a forum GTG, though, will be ace to put some faces to names :))

I was going to say would be cool to chat about random stuff, but I am a total introvert in real life and will just end up sitting there listening and absorbing what everyone else was saying... :lol: lol

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yay for you!
We went out for a meal yesterday and it was really nice. Tables were spaced very far apart and we felt quite safe.

During quarantine we did a curbside pickup from a 3 star restaurant. It was absolutely fabulous. 6 courses for only $50 USD each. We added a bottle of wine for $40USD and got what was a $80USD bottle of wine. All the courses were individually packaged and simply needed some heating. Some were cold.

Please post photos of the menu and food so we can enjoy vicariously! Shame you can't do the wine pairing but maybe next time?

A few higher end restaurants here are doing similar. One had a fabulous seafood chowder, biscuit, and salad for lunch for $20 plus $30 for a bottle of wine. They packed so much into the container that we had leftovers.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
However are you going to get followers and likes on social media? :Up_to_something:
Everyone's going to think you're a nobody. :cry2:
Get with it, lady. :naughty:

I may do a check in on FB, that's it.

I don't like using the phone when I am at a restaurant with others.

When on my own, yes, as I can read the newspaper etc...

There is something about taking photos of food when I am dining out, it feels somewhat disrespectful to me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168, I hope you know my post was 100% tongue in cheek. ;))

I'm not on those social media and also wouldn't take a pic of my meal at a restaurant, especially at a nice one.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny I could make a pit stop in Kent en route to Folkstone for the Eurotunnel. :Up_to_something:

Won't have much bling on me though.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168, I hope you know my post was 100% tongue in cheek. ;))

I'm not on those social media and also wouldn't take a pic of my meal at a restaurant, especially at a nice one.

Yup, I thought so.

I would never be one of those self-styled 'influencers' on IG for certain!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was going to say would be cool to chat about random stuff, but I am a total introvert in real life and will just end up sitting there listening and absorbing what everyone else was saying... :lol: lol

Bagsy me a seat next to you and we can introvert listen in company!

Enjoy your meal dk168! Lovely food, a glass of nice wine and no washing up - what more could you ask for?! The idea of tables having to be spaced far apart fills me with joy - I hate it when tables feel like they are crammed in on top of each other.

Am I right in thinking you do cooking demos? How’s your business managing through lockdown or was it more of a hobby?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo I too dislike tables being too close together.

I went to a supposingly romantic restaurant in London, to find tables were very close together, offering no privacy let alone intimacy.

I was with a group of 6 and felt really sorry for the couples who sat near us.

As for my pop up kitchen events, that stopped when the pup that I frequent in town where they were held closed a week or so before lockdown became mandatory. They will not re-opening on 04 Jul as the premises is too small to practice social distancing even at 1m apart.

So I would have to wait a little longer before I have another pop up kitchen event. Or a beer flight at my favourite watering hole in town. Hey ho.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds wonderful @dk168, enjoy!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy your meal, menu looks fab!

I’m quietly celebrating having an actual hair appointment, although it’s not until August............

voce

Ideal_Rock
Can't imagine choir practices in masks. Just like violin with mute:). Also singers need oxygen a lot!

I think it's best we just don't have choirs. Did you know microdroplets go a lot further when you are singing?

Safe social distance is 6 ft for talking, 20 ft for singing. I don't think it would be a choir anymore at that distance, so it'll be best just to avoid it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's best we just don't have choirs. Did you know microdroplets go a lot further when you are singing?

Safe social distance is 6 ft for talking, 20 ft for singing. I don't think it would be a choir anymore at that distance, so it'll be best just to avoid it.

Not easy for someone like me who enjoy singing in choirs ever since I was young.

Shortly before lockdown, I actively sing with 2 choirs.

I appreciate singing is high risk, hence I can appreciate it is likely to be one of the last activities to be allowed to resume.

However, I fully expect it will resume one day.

If sporting events where spectators will scream, shout and sing etc. can resume some time in the future, then I do not see why singing should not be allowed, especially if a singing event takes place outdoors.

Life must go on, so to speak.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results