shape
carat
color
clarity

First gem, first project in honor of a gift received

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carochinha

Rough_Rock
Friends of my fiance gave us an emerald cut amethyst because, they said, they acquired it around the time they started together. They never did anything with it and wanted us to have it to wish us their happiness.

So, PSers, can you help me create something as beautiful as their gesture? I want to honor their gift.

It''s an emerald cut light amethyst. When you put it on your hand, you can see right through it. I know the pictures are fuzzy, but the amethyst has a big window and is a light color. It''s not small; I prefer sideways ovals and elongated cushions, but this stone probably should be set the traditional way, right? Would yellow gold be too warm for this lilac color? And if there were side stones, what do you see? Or a pendant if anyone has ideas - but I haven''t seen many emerald cut pendants.

Any ideas?

rsz_topview.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I agree that, in terms of actual value, this stone isn''t worth a custom work, but there are many nice premade settings. I''d think about bezeling it in white gold or silver to (hopefully) minimize the effect of a window. You can also have the bezel white and the rest of the ring in yellow. If this were a strongly colored amethyst without an obvious window I''d suggest yellow gold, but I think white metal could do this one good.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely gesture.
You can also consider a LOGR setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Due to the dimensions of the stone, I''ll set it the traditional way as a ring. I''ll still keep it in yellow gold but have it as enclosed as possible to minimize the large window.

carochinha

Rough_Rock
Fly Girl, thanks for the lead. This pendant appeals to me: http://www.stuller.com/products/product.aspx?gid=40564

Kirbbie, forgive the newbie question. What is a LOGR setting?

Chrono, ma re, thanks for your feedback.

I wonder if there are deco style pendants that would work, maybe someting simple in silver?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
whoknows - what are the dimensions of your amethyst?

These aren''t really deco, but there''s an eBay seller, BluefoxxCreations who has antique castings. I think he can do any of them in silver too, and it''s much cheaper. Check out the filigree pendants and the emerald settings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOGR is Lord of Gems Rings which you''ll be able to find as a listed seller on eBay.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 10:41:55 AM
Author: whoknows
Fly Girl, thanks for the lead. This pendant appeals to me: http://www.stuller.com/products/product.aspx?gid=40564

Kirbbie, forgive the newbie question. What is a LOGR setting?

Chrono, ma re, thanks for your feedback.

I wonder if there are deco style pendants that would work, maybe someting simple in silver?
You are welcome, whoknows. That particular pendant is for a 8 mm x 6 mm stone. Your stone appears to be larger, so you will need to pick a setting that comes in the size of your stone. You should measure your amethyst and see if it will fit into a conventionally sized setting. Jewelers will have calipers to measure the stone exactly, but you can get close by using a ruler.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results