shape
carat
color
clarity

First diamond option - opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringhunter

Rough_Rock
I went ahead and told the person I am working with to start pulling a couple stones and that I''m ready to buy. He gave me a few options, but I like this one the best so far. Let me know what y''all think - good, bad, quality, price, etc.

GIA Excellent cut
Weight - 2.01
Color - H
Clarity - SI2 (totally eyeclean per him, inclusion off-center)
Ex, Ex, Ex
Table - 60
Depth - 60.2
Crown - 33.5
Pavilion - 40.8
HCA - 1.6
Price - $14,300

I plan to see it in person soon and I even bought an idealscope to help me out. Let me know guys. I''m nervous that I''m getting close to pulling the trigger.

ringhunter

Rough_Rock
The only thing that jumped out at me was the large table. It seems most of the well cut stones mentioned on here are smaller than that. Pros, cons?

Also, I''m likely setting it in the Tacori 2620 setting linked below:

http://www.tacori.com/TACORI-SRCH/ENGAGEMENT/2620RDLGP-A-4-1-95-/

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's close to a 60/60 Tolkowsky cut, which some people love the look of and some don't. I'd do some research on it to make sure it's a look you'll like.

Also make sure it's eyeclean to YOUR standards, not your vendor's.

ringhunter

Rough_Rock
Okay, I searched, and it seems like the Tolkowsky cut has a much smaller table. I couldn''t find anything helpful on the 60/60 Tolkowsky cut. Can you give me the basics? I had never heard of this before.

Just when I thought I had it figured out...lol

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
well the table for TIC is 53-57.5

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Tolkowsky came up with a number of "well performing" proportion sets, including one with 60 table / 60 depth. For what it''s worth, the late Harry Winston swore by that set of proportions.

ringhunter

Rough_Rock
More help guys...

I don''t know much about this 60/60 Tolkowski cut, or if this is actually one...

What is different about this look compared to other diamonds? It''s a GIA ex and is a 1.6 on HCA, so it can''t be too bad, right?

What are the pros/cons of this stone?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2008 2:34:54 PM
Author: ringhunter
More help guys...

I don't know much about this 60/60 Tolkowski cut, or if this is actually one...

What is different about this look compared to other diamonds? It's a GIA ex and is a 1.6 on HCA, so it can't be too bad, right?

Here is a quote from an older post by one of our experts, John Pollard, concerning 60 60 diamonds. Bear in mind 60 60 stones are not created equal, so it is important to judge each on its own physical proportions and desirable visual properties. See what you think when you see it in person, sounds like you are all set with your Idealscope too! Some really like this type of diamond, others prefer the below mentioned near Tolkowsky with the smaller table etc, it is just a matter of taste. If you can, compare with some other diamonds of known cut quality ( suggest AGS0) so you can see what your preferences are.

"A common make of round brilliants is '60/60,' meaning depth and table both near 60%. They often have slightly deeper pavilions and shallower crowns than the diamonds discussed on PS, which are called 'near-Tolkowksy' (smaller tables and crown/pavilion angles close to 34.5/40.75).

Classic 60/60s that are well-cut have a big, bright, appealing look. That depends on its overall configurations. Your eyes will tell you a lot more about it than we can (be sure you see it in several different lighting conditions). If you want to know more about its make from a technical standpoint, jot down the measurements and list them here...but you'll be able to best judge its personality when you meet it for yourself.
John"

ringhunter

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 3:03:30 PM
Author: Lorelei

More help guys...

I don''t know much about this 60/60 Tolkowski cut, or if this is actually one...

What is different about this look compared to other diamonds? It''s a GIA ex and is a 1.6 on HCA, so it can''t be too bad, right?

Here is a quote from an older post by one of our experts, John Pollard, concerning 60 60 diamonds. Bear in mind 60 60 stones are not created equal, so it is important to judge each on its own physical proportions and desirable visual properties. See what you think when you see it in person, sounds like you are all set with your Idealscope too! Some really like this type of diamond, others prefer the below mentioned near Tolkowsky with the smaller table etc, it is just a matter of taste. If you can, compare with some other diamonds of known cut quality ( suggest AGS0) so you can see what your preferences are.

''A common make of round brilliants is ''60/60,'' meaning depth and table both near 60%. They often have slightly deeper pavilions and shallower crowns than the diamonds discussed on PS, which are called ''near-Tolkowksy'' (smaller tables and crown/pavilion angles close to 34.5/40.75).

Classic 60/60s that are well-cut have a big, bright, appealing look. That depends on its overall configurations. Your eyes will tell you a lot more about it than we can (be sure you see it in several different lighting conditions). If you want to know more about its make from a technical standpoint, jot down the measurements and list them here...but you''ll be able to best judge its personality when you meet it for yourself.

John''

Thanks Lorelei!

Is there anywhere where I can compare how a 60/60 and a normal diamond look side by side? If not, could you or someone else maybe briefly describe the appearance difference. Obviously the table is larger, but does this make the stone appear larger? Does it hurt performance?

I like the mention of "big, bright, appealing look!"

After looking into it earlier, it seems as if it''s difficult for a 60/60 stone to score well on the HCA. This one scored a 1.6. Is that an indication that it''s of fairly rare quality?

I know I need to see it, but it''s in Charlotte and I''m in Charleston, so I want to make sure it''s a winner before I drive 3 hours.

Thanks for the help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2008 4:02:00 PM

Date: 12/9/2008 3:03:30 PM
Author: Lorelei

More help guys...

I don't know much about this 60/60 Tolkowski cut, or if this is actually one...

What is different about this look compared to other diamonds? It's a GIA ex and is a 1.6 on HCA, so it can't be too bad, right?

'A common make of round brilliants is '60/60,' meaning depth and table both near 60%. They often have slightly deeper pavilions and shallower crowns than the diamonds discussed on PS, which are called 'near-Tolkowksy' (smaller tables and crown/pavilion angles close to 34.5/40.75).

Classic 60/60s that are well-cut have a big, bright, appealing look. That depends on its overall configurations. Your eyes will tell you a lot more about it than we can (be sure you see it in several different lighting conditions). If you want to know more about its make from a technical standpoint, jot down the measurements and list them here...but you'll be able to best judge its personality when you meet it for yourself.

John'

Thanks Lorelei!

Is there anywhere where I can compare how a 60/60 and a normal diamond look side by side? If not, could you or someone else maybe briefly describe the appearance difference. Obviously the table is larger, but does this make the stone appear larger? Does it hurt performance?

I like the mention of 'big, bright, appealing look!'

After looking into it earlier, it seems as if it's difficult for a 60/60 stone to score well on the HCA. This one scored a 1.6. Is that an indication that it's of fairly rare quality?

I know I need to see it, but it's in Charlotte and I'm in Charleston, so I want to make sure it's a winner before I drive 3 hours.

Thanks for the help.
Glad to help!

Here is some more info on 60 60 diamonds which might help, but as you say really you need to see it to get a feel for its personality as this can't be predicted without seeing it - or whether you will like it. However the angles which are crucial for light performance are in a good range, so it could well be an attractive diamond.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/60.asp

ringhunter

Rough_Rock
Thanks again. I''ll be sure to report when I see it. I guess I have to make the trek to Charlotte soon :).

One last thing, do you see any issues with this particular diamond, since it has a larger than average table, as it relates to the Tacori setting I''m looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results