Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

First CADs are in...opinions please! :)

Punto

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
29
Hi everyone!


Original post where you lovely people helped me is here http://www.pricescope.com/forum/topic163529.html

So decided on a nice 1.45ct Square cushion H&A diamond from GOG and they told me they also do custom settings and as such have been waiting patiently for my first CADs.

The brief given was based on the verragio design below, with as little metal showing as possible.

Modified%20Verragio.jpg

The initial CADs from GOG are below:

Center stone is 1.45ct - melee are 1 pointers (0.68 tcw)

sep%2013%2011-3.png

sep%2013%2011-2.png

sep%2013%2011-1.png

sep%2013%2011.png

Just wanted to get your opinions so I could ideas for improvement over to GOG in one email

My main issues are:
1) There looks like an awful amount of metal on the CADs? (I've done a few CAD pieces in my time and it just seems a tad chunky, also dont see why they didnt render it before sending it over to me!)

2) I think the halo should be angled from the centre stone? About 30 degrees?

3) The split shanks should start a bit closer together from the halo? i.e less space in between them when looking from a bird's eye view

4) The prongs seem hugely unsightly and completely different to the verragio ones - I was thinking perhaps single claw prongs?

5) The surprise stones at 12, 4 and 8 o'clock seem a lot smaller relative to the verragio - this is probably due to the CAD right?

6) I'd really like some advice on size of the halo and width of the bands? I'm a ring novice :(


Muchos gracias guys and I'd appreciate any advice/comments!
 

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
11,613
Hi,

The prongs always look like that in CADs, because they aren't shaped and filed yet.

I would ask them to curve the cathedral shoulders more, like the Verragio ring. Right now the cathedral arms/shoulders don't appear to curve, they just go straight up to the head, so it looks sort of blocky.

I think it's a pretty design!
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
Punto|1316030604|3017618 said:
Hi everyone!


Original post where you lovely people helped me is here http://www.pricescope.com/forum/topic163529.html

So decided on a nice 1.45ct Square cushion H&A diamond from GOG and they told me they also do custom settings and as such have been waiting patiently for my first CADs.

The brief given was based on the verragio design below, with as little metal showing as possible.

Modified%20Verragio.jpg

The initial CADs from GOG are below:

Center stone is 1.45ct - melee are 1 pointers (0.68 tcw)

sep%2013%2011-3.png

sep%2013%2011-2.png

sep%2013%2011-1.png

sep%2013%2011.png

Just wanted to get your opinions so I could ideas for improvement over to GOG in one email

My main issues are:
1) There looks like an awful amount of metal on the CADs? (I've done a few CAD pieces in my time and it just seems a tad chunky, also dont see why they didnt render it before sending it over to me!)

I think CADs always look like this...but it does seem chunky

2) I think the halo should be angled from the centre stone? About 30 degrees?

I think Frankiextah's halo is 25% angle and it is perfect.


3) The split shanks should start a bit closer together from the halo? i.e less space in between them when looking from a bird's eye view

I agree.

4) The prongs seem hugely unsightly and completely different to the verragio ones - I was thinking perhaps single claw prongs?

This is how the prongs on CADs look.

5) The surprise stones at 12, 4 and 8 o'clock seem a lot smaller relative to the verragio - this is probably due to the CAD right?

hmm...maybe ask GOG what size they are?

6) I'd really like some advice on size of the halo and width of the bands? I'm a ring novice :(

overall I think the ring looks too 'chunky'. I am not sure if this is just the CADs or if it is a feature of the design itself...hopefully someone who knows more can chime in. pretty design and i am so excited to see another square H&A!


Muchos gracias guys and I'd appreciate any advice/comments!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I agree with slg. Have them slim the whole thing down and make the changes you listed to the shanks. Also angle the halo.
 

Punto

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
29
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I sent a few points over to GOG - namely

1) A 25 degree angulature for the halo
2) Bring the split shanks in together

Marie at GOG said a lot of the 'chunkiness' is down to the CAD - she's included some pictures of the wax imprint, which she believes looks more delicate, any opinions guys?

Wax%203.jpg
Wax%202.jpg
wax.jpg

Annotations are by Marie at GOG not myself! Thanks a million everyone! Also any opinions on what prongs suit a square cushion H&A - I'm leaning towards single 'claw' prongs?
 

Punto

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
29
side%20wax.jpg

Another image! Looks a lot larger from the side compared to the original verragio, I assume that's down to the fact that it's in wax?

Single claw prongs do look pretty, shall search the forums for some examples to send across :D
 

LD

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
9,707
Punto the big difference for me is the "swoopiness" of the shank. In the original it gently swoops inwards and then up to the shank whereas the wax casting doesn't go in at all. To my eyes that makes the ring more chunky looking which I think was one of your concerns?

PS Ring.jpg
 

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
7,007
What LovingDiamonds pointed out will have a dramatic impact on the outcome. My first e-ring was made incorrectly like this and I hated it. Make it curve concave versus concex.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
LovingDiamonds|1316293660|3019661 said:
Punto the big difference for me is the "swoopiness" of the shank. In the original it gently swoops inwards and then up to the shank whereas the wax casting doesn't go in at all. To my eyes that makes the ring more chunky looking which I think was one of your concerns?

Brilliant. I totally agree. You need that altered.
 

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
7,007
Side observation - I have never seen a verragio setting in real life. Their marketing photos make them look really great but this "real life" photo leaves lots to be desired.
 

Punto

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
29
Thanks for that feedback LovingDiamonds, Charmypoo and Gypsy, I completely agree.

Being honest, from the CAD through to the Wax pictures, I kept emailing 'it looks so bulky' compared to the original and kept getting told that it's the same!

So I ended up thinking it was just my eyes and called in a favour and met up to a friend of a friend who works for Bvlgari and he pointed out exactly what you guys said as well as a disparity in the size of the area holding the surprise stone under the main diamond. So I guess at least I know I'm not crazy!

Being from the UK, this whole buying a ring from NYC has stressed me out no end! I always thought the diamond would be the difficult thing to find and the setting would be the easier part (considering it's basically a copy of an existing setting!) Turns out the opposite has been true...

I've emailed over the suggestions to Marie and hopefully they're receptive to them rather than just trying to reassure me :((

Does the included picture highlight the area about concave vs convex well enough?

Also just another thanks for reading/helping guys, I'd pay for this advice! :)

Concave%20vs%20Convex.jpg
Difference.jpg
 

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
7,007
Do you really like that crown shape? I have never been a fan of it and you have the opportunity to change it :)
 

Punto

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
29
lol I actually didn't know it was meant to represent a crown! I saw the Verragio setting when in NYC earlier this year, and it actually looks quite nice in real life. I'm not too sure what I'd change it to? I like the surprise diamond being set there, and wouldnt know what other shape to set it in! http://www.verragio.com/videoframe.php?c=venetian <--- looks nice there too!

Being honest Charmypoo, it's got to a point where I feel like they're just trying to rush the design through by trying to tell me 'it'll all be ok' over and over, without actually changing anything. Kind of wish I just bought the diamond from GOG and went with Mark at ERD for the custom setting. It's just because I'm in the UK, I thought it'd be easier getting it all done by one team!
 

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
7,007
I think I would be honest and tell them that you feel rushed. You want your changes acknowledged and made - honestly, everytime someone told me it will be ok and to trust them ... it never turned out that way.

I am wondering if a simple round shape around the surprise diamond would be nicer and more timeless.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
CharmyPoo|1316362097|3020131 said:
I think I would be honest and tell them that you feel rushed. You want your changes acknowledged and made - honestly, everytime someone told me it will be ok and to trust them ... it never turned out that way.

I am wondering if a simple round shape around the surprise diamond would be nicer and more timeless.
I would also go with a simple round shape.

I think once the change from convex to concave is made you will see a huge difference.
 

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
7,007
I just went and looked through all of verragio's facebook pics. Conclusion - I would go with round.
 

Punto

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
29
CharmyPoo|1316362097|3020131 said:
I think I would be honest and tell them that you feel rushed. You want your changes acknowledged and made - honestly, everytime someone told me it will be ok and to trust them ... it never turned out that way.

I am wondering if a simple round shape around the surprise diamond would be nicer and more timeless.

I took your advice and sent an email saying as such! It's been interesting since it all started, was told I'd get a CAD in about 3-4 days, it took near enough 4 weeks! But I don't need the ring until January so no huge issue.

I always thought the CAD would be done and approved before any wax imprint was made, but in this case my initial comments/changes based on the CAD were met with the response 'well we'll see what the wax looks like tomorrow and I'm sure it will ease all your worries' - I wasn't quite sure how a halo that wasn't curved on a CAD would magically become curved on the wax lol but I went with it.

I'm usually one of these shoppers who just goes and buys something and doesn't kick up a fuss, I think it's time to be a little bit more stern!
 

Punto

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
29
Char & SLG - any links to an image with a simple round shape? I have hunted google to no avail. Shall have a look at this Verragio facebook page! :)
 

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
7,007
From what I have seen on PS, the CAD is usually approved before the wax mould is made. This is an important ring so being a bit more picky is absolutely acceptable. Going the route of custom entitles you to make the ring exactly the way you want.

See ... my hubby is not the type to nit pick with vendors because he feels bad. On the other hand, I am the type who knows what I want and want it the way I want it. So our first e-ring was a huge diaster and disappointment. I hated it and he knew I would hate it the moment he saw it. He ended up having to delay his proposal plans by over a year because of it.
 

Punto

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
29
slg47|1316362466|3020133 said:
I think once the change from convex to concave is made you will see a huge difference.

Thanks for the reassurance slg47, I hope it will :) Been saving up for near enough a year for the ring and just want it to be perfect!
 

Punto

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
29
CharmyPoo|1316363361|3020143 said:
From what I have seen on PS, the CAD is usually approved before the wax mould is made. This is an important ring so being a bit more picky is absolutely acceptable. Going the route of custom entitles you to make the ring exactly the way you want.

See ... my hubby is not the type to nit pick with vendors because he feels bad. On the other hand, I am the type who knows what I want and want it the way I want it. So our first e-ring was a huge diaster and disappointment. I hated it and he knew I would hate it the moment he saw it. He ended up having to delay his proposal plans by over a year because of it.
Actually feel really idiotic when thinking about it like that, it's the single-most important purchase for the most important person in my life, I should be fussy to the point of being annoying! Let's see what Marie comes back to me with, in the mean time I shall hunt around for a picture of a surprise stone set in a simple round bezel!
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
the round shape will look similar to the surprise stones on the side...should be 'cleaner' than the crown design
 

Punto

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
29
slg47|1316363670|3020147 said:
the round shape will look similar to the surprise stones on the side...should be 'cleaner' than the crown design

Going to mull this one over! Actually looked at Verragio settings with my other half when in NYC with the conversation being (we couldnt afford that!) so I'm sure I can sneakily bring up that crown in conversation with her. Let's see if she likes it or not! :)
 

Punto

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
29
CharmyPoo|1316364185|3020153 said:
Not exactly the same but you get the idea

I agree that it does deffo look more timeless/classic...let's see what the better half thinks! Now off to do some manly stuff and hit the gym, 3 hours of looking at jewellery and thinking I now know more than most women I know...makes me scared :)

Shall update this post with details of what GOG say/what happens...thanks for the counselling CharmyPoo/SLG - you guys can help me get through this!
 

LD

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
9,707
Punto - I'm from the UK too and there are places that you can get CADs and settings made. I've used the same people for years to make settings for me. If you search under my name for Chamelon diamond, they made that setting and also for my brownish/yellow Asscher - so you can see first hand their work. They never rush me and I get to put through as many changes as I want - albeit all on CAD and not with a wax.

Ok - onto your dilema - TAKE YOUR TIME and tell the NOT to rush you. This IS a difficult process and you want to get it right. I suspect the crown is larger because they can't reproduce exactly a designer's ring. Having said that, I think Charmy's suggestion of a round surprise bezel set diamond would be much more sympathetic with the overall design. Again though, take your time. Ask them to do a CAD of that with the concave arms and see how you feel then. CADs do look bulky and their wax does show that when finished it will be about the same as the one you like so I wouldn't panic too much.
 

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
11,613
Gypsy|1316304838|3019770 said:
LovingDiamonds|1316293660|3019661 said:
Punto the big difference for me is the "swoopiness" of the shank. In the original it gently swoops inwards and then up to the shank whereas the wax casting doesn't go in at all. To my eyes that makes the ring more chunky looking which I think was one of your concerns?

Brilliant. I totally agree. You need that altered.
Hey, I said this at the very top. Can I be brilliant too?

LOL ;))

I think once they tweak this, it will look way less bulky.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
laila you are brilliant too!

after looking at the original...i would DEFINITELY get the bezel set surprise diamond instead of the crown...i think it will flow better with the overall style of the ring.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Tennis Bracelet Love

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top