shape
carat
color
clarity

first browsing experience...

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
So, my BF and I went looking at rings for the first time today. He didn't break up with me after it, so that's a good start, but I do feel bad for the poor guy because I think finding what I want will be difficult...
I have bigger fingers (size 9), and kinda particular tastes - I want a solitaire, I think I want a bezel setting or at least something very low-set, I like RB diamonds but am also very interested in some kinda more unique shapes (ascher, rose cut, old mine - I'm not a very sparkly girl), I don't want it to look too modern, but I do want it to be "sleek" or a little contemporary.
We went to 3 stores - 2 were locally-owned and one was Jared because it shared a parking lot with one of the others. I was kinda disappointed. Only 2 of the stores had bezel settings, and they did not have many of them (Jared had none. Totally unimpressed with them. The sales guy also told me the facet patterns on all cushion cuts are the same, which I know is simply not true - I was hoping to see more of an antique-cut cushion rather than a brilliant one). Only one store had any aschers in their inventory. None of the stores had rose cut diamonds in their inventory, and 2 of them didn't even know what a rose cut diamond was. I did see one ring that I really liked, a very plain bezel-set RB ring that was hardly elevated off the finger at all. My BF and I particularly liked that the diamond looked very large in that setting even though this particular ring was only 1/3 ct.
So, 2 questions. How should I probably go about getting what I want? We were impressed with the customer service at one store - they have a great warranty and trade-up policy, do custom work, and offered to bring some rose cuts into the store for me to see. The saleswoman told me if I give my BF pictures of what I like, she would personally make sure he stays on the right track! It seems like I will probably need to go custom to get what I want, and I love my BF so I know I will love whatever he gets for me (in fact, I love him so much I would be happy just to spend my whole life with him without a ring - pricescope hearesy I know!), but I also know I am a little particular... Maybe lots of pictures with notes on what I do and do not like about each... I want to give him guidance, but I want him to ultimately pick out the ring.
Second, my boyfriend thinks a good carat size would be .75-1. I personally would like to go 1-1.3, but I haven't told him that yet. I don't want to compromise cut, but I can't tell the difference between D and I in color really, and I'm OK with an eye-clean SI stone... I know the bezel will make the stone look bigger, but I still want it to take up a little real estate on my big fingers (without being TOO blingy). How do you delicately bring up wanting a bigger rock? We talk about everything, I know we can have an open conversation about it, but I don't want to seem superficial or materialistic... Maybe I just need to be able to demonstrate to him that a slightly larger stone will cost about the same if the color etc is lower. Also, I wonder if rose cuts will have a larger diameter for the carat weight...

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Don't underestimate the power of online vendor shopping! Seriously, those B&M stores charge as much for a 1/3 as the trusted online vendors charge for nearly 1/2 carat! So that's my suggestion. I'd look at Whiteflash, Blue Nile (where my DH bought mine, though it's not a favorite by some b/c they are mostly drop ship stones), Good Old Gold, etc. and just compare specs/prices. Then peruse the SMTB thread for all of the positive feedback. If you want a specific setting, you can look at having one custom made reasonably. DanielM on Etsy is my favorite bezel guy. I :love: his work! The best way to get a bigger stone is to find it for the same price as the smaller ones in B&M stores. :wink2:

If that isn't something you want to look at, you can also bring up looking at less conventional locations like 2nd hand stores, antique shops, ebay or even pawn shops (though I wouldn't look there unless you go armed with a loupe, a diamond tester of your own and LOTS of homework done on your own to know what you're looking at.

As a side note, I also have big mitts at 8.25. I found that a thinner tapered cathedral made my little .63 ct stone look much bigger and it was also more comfortable on my finger. I definitely appreciate that now that I've added my wband!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I would just be honest and say "you know, I realized that I'm not sensitive to clarity or color, so I think I'd rather have a larger stone for the same price." I don't think it makes you materialistic. You know what will best suit your needs/desires in the long run. No point in spending money on a quality that isn't a priority.

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the feedback guys! Tyty, watching the video of that stone makes me realize when I'm so interested in seeing some rose cuts in person - I love the big flashes of light!
I am planning on printing out a few pictures for my BF of rings I really like, with notes about what I love and what I don't love about them. I really like the Mcteigue and mcclelland bella flora ring in platinum, and also this ring: http://www.brilliantearth.com/Luna-Ring-Platinum-BE1PB1-475/?show_setting_tab=true,, but I would want it redone so it's set a little lower.
Maybe a good option would be for us to pick out a stone together, so I can help him find what I want for a reasonable price, and then he can figure out a setting based on some ideas I've given him...
my favorite part about this process so far is that he's excited about it too!

simikjean

Rough_Rock
hmm,this one looks so nice.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mjertl|1311042399|2971878 said:
thanks for the feedback guys! Tyty, watching the video of that stone makes me realize when I'm so interested in seeing some rose cuts in person - I love the big flashes of light!
I am planning on printing out a few pictures for my BF of rings I really like, with notes about what I love and what I don't love about them. I really like the Mcteigue and mcclelland bella flora ring in platinum, and also this ring: http://www.brilliantearth.com/Luna-Ring-Platinum-BE1PB1-475/?show_setting_tab=true,,,, but I would want it redone so it's set a little lower.
Maybe a good option would be for us to pick out a stone together, so I can help him find what I want for a reasonable price, and then he can figure out a setting based on some ideas I've given him...
my favorite part about this process so far is that he's excited about it too!

I believe that M&M ring is $6-$7k...in case you didnt know.

Edit - here is a place that sells old mine cuts...check out the oec cuts too.
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/inv.php?SHAPE=OM

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
the M and M ring alone, or with the diamond too? I don't necessarily need that exact ring, but I like how it's a little unique but still fairly simple

lapelirroja

Shiny_Rock
I believe that's for setting alone, really pricy.

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
that is kinda pricey for a fairly simple setting - even more so since I wouldn't be able to try it on first and make sure I REALLY loved it. at any rate, I could probably have something made custom that's different but a little similar.

I'm sort of excited, one of my friends just told me about where her husband had her ring made - studiojewelerswi.com. it's here in town and they have some really unique stuff. most is a little more modern than my tastes, but i'm going to check it out.

i also looked at WF and found a setting I like quite a bit. Cameron I think was the name of it (I'm at work now, so I can't look it up). it's like the one from brilliant earth that i linked to above. i'm not sure which i like better - the wf one is set lower, which i like, but the brilliant earth one looks a little more delicate...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results