shape
carat
color
clarity

fire opal question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemguy24

Rough_Rock
recently found this forum, lots of great info and pictures! (wow on the pictures!! impressive!)

i have been looking for a gem to have crafted into a necklace and after looking around on here i have also discovered etsy and a few people on there who can craft whatever stone i choose into almost anything i can think of

however i have found someone, who comes reccomended by a friend who does this kind of thing, who has offered to sell me the attached opal for 75$ - it is 10mm red mexican fire opal, i have other pictures but this one is the best one and i was wondering a few things. obviously the first thing is is that a good price for the opal? i looked around on acstones (barry bridgestock?) and found this cherry opal (~8mm x ~7mm, emerald cut) for $155 - which is sold but gave me some kind of price point to look at/for

the second question is how much maintance will there be on this opal vs some of the other stones/necklaces she has with gemstones in it (compared to, for example, topaz)? i have read some of the general information abot taking care of them: not too hot, not too cold, not sealed, etc so i have a general idea

the third question is how more likely is it to break/crack/chip than other stones if taken care of? i know it is softer than other gemstones (again, compared to topaz which is ~8 and opal is ~5 or ~6)

thanks ahead of time for taking the time to read this post!

redopal.jpg

gemguy24

Rough_Rock
i will go ahead and add the other picture

opal 2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fire opals are softer so the facet edges will wear sooner than most other gemstones but as it's for a necklace, it'll probably look fine for a longer period of time. A topaz is a hardier stone and can be set in a ring. Fire opals are best in earrings or pendants.

Barry's fire opal looks to have a lot of fire and life, which is why it costs a little more. The one you posted has a nice colour but looks more opaque compared to Barry's stone.

The care is pretty simple and straightforward - no harsh chemicals and exposure to extreme temperatures. Cleaning is done using only a soft cloth with warm soapy water.

gemguy24

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 8:24:47 PM
Author: Chrono
Barry''s fire opal looks to have a lot of fire and life, which is why it costs a little more. The one you posted has a nice colour but looks more opaque compared to Barry''s stone.

The care is pretty simple and straightforward - no harsh chemicals and exposure to extreme temperatures. Cleaning is done using only a soft cloth with warm soapy water.

i figured that was part of why his was so much more expensive (color + vendor) -- glad to hear that there shouldnt be too much to worry about as long as she takes care of it...which she is pretty good about

is the price ($75) somewhat reasonable or can you really say one way or another?

and thanks for the response!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems to be reasonably priced if the picture is accurate for a 10 mm fire opal.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
All I know is its pretty!

gemguy24

Rough_Rock
@chrono -- thanks for all the help...any other stones (red) i should be looking into?

@ilovesparkles -- thanks!! i agree!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on all the above, and sunstone is a great suggestion. Other reds I''d look for are, for example, red zircon (very sparkly and an interesting color) or madeira citrine (not really red, but reddish enough
2.gif
). Both are quite affordable.

gemguy24

Rough_Rock
regarding sunstones -- i like them but cant find any good looking larger ones in that price range/size range (and most of them are also more a "clear" red than a deeper red)

gemguy24

Rough_Rock
like their sunstones just out of my current price range...
8.gif

im considering either getting the fire topaz or going with another stone from sally @heartofwater ....

thanks for all the help guys (and gals)

much appreciation!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results