shape
carat
color
clarity

Fine Pink Star... SPINEL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you thought this is not a valid gem species... This One will prove that received wisedom wrong.

''Wish the guys from Multicolor would chime in about their rarity!

StarSpinelListing.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
holy-molly
18.gif

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. I wanted it until I clicked the link and saw the price! Pretty...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
its over 10 carats! and its gorgeous! give its rare, that may be an actual fair price.

movie zombie

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Fine pink or red star spinels sometimes come out, usually in Ceylon and are priced much below that to me.
Please note the lighting... they almost always look very well under incandescent light and brown under sunlight !

Please ask them to profide unmodified photo under sunlight on, say, a piece of wood for you can judge the quality truely.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2006 4:41:37 AM
Author: colorchange

Fine pink or red star spinels sometimes come out, usually in Ceylon and are priced much below that to me.

But ... this size and color? The usual stuff is some opaque dark dark gray or brown, and rightfully a dime a dozen. If you know of fine examples, the story is very welcome.

I can't say I have not seen one in 20 years for obvious reasons, but certainly never seen or heard of anything quite like this.

It seems only fair to compare the price with equally fine star sapphire - which doesn't make it a bargain, but no exaggeration either. Besides, where to find a 10 carat pink star sapphire?
2.gif

Re lighting: leaving the picture aside, the color description notes low saturation. And they admit that the star is better seen in directional lighting. The two details have been taken into account in the above statement - this one still sounds very out of the ordinary to me

In the end, I have no reason to help advertise anything -wish this guy was in my backyard so that no seller has to be mentioned along the way. Since this is not the case, it seemed fair game to share amazement. Hope you guys don't mind.
15.gif

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/30/2006 8:59:21 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 3/30/2006 4:41:37 AM

But ... this size and color? The usual stuff is some opaque dark dark gray or brown, and rightfully a dime a dozen. If you know of fine examples, the story is very welcome.

I regularly see COMPLETELY TRANSPARENT star spinels with fine star and acceptable color.
Fine color is extremely rare. But they mention low saturation which means the color much be about the usual stuff I buy. I would bet the spinel looks nothing like as good as the photo... indeed red spinels always look very fine in photo and not so much in person.

I can't say I have not seen one in 20 years for obvious reasons, but certainly never seen or heard of anything quite like this.

It seems only fair to compare the price with equally fine star sapphire - which doesn't make it a bargain, but no exaggeration either. Besides, where to find a 10 carat pink star sapphire?
2.gif

Hum, not so hard, it's just a question of price, it's around $2000/Ct at least in good quality. But spinel DO NOT LOOK like sapphire, but much inferior.

Re lighting: leaving the picture aside, the color description notes low saturation. And they admit that the star is better seen in directional lighting. The two details have been taken into account in the above statement - this one still sounds very out of the ordinary to me

What is odd is that they mention low saturation and their color is bright red !!!!!!!
If saturation is 3.5/5, I'm buying similar or better stones regularly. And I can guarantee you it looks nothing like a fine Namya star sapphire !!!!!
"Star spinels are not very common and I never saw a red one until this one came along." in the description.
Wow this guy do not look the right way !!!!!!!!!! Red, transparent or translucent star spinels are not so rare !
I feel that this spinel is just like most red star spinel : good clarity, very fine red on photo BUT blackish look in real.
Very fine star spinels exist, but are rarer.

"The star will look best under a strong penlight and even better in direct sunlight."
I'd like to know how the color looks under sunlight...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2006 10:01:24 AM

Date: 3/30/2006 8:59:21 AM
Author: valeria101

I regularly see COMPLETELY TRANSPARENT star spinels with fine star and acceptable color.
'Star spinels are not very common and I never saw a red one until this one came along.' in the description.
Wow this guy do not look the right way !!!!!!!!!! Red, transparent or translucent star spinels are not so rare !

I feel that this spinel is just like most red star spinel : good clarity, very fine red on photo BUT blackish look in real.
Very fine star spinels exist, but are rarer.

This is interesting! (i.e. 'transparent star spinel with fine star')

The color description of that guy is even less optimistic than that 3-3.5 /5 saturation you mention; they say 2/5 'slightly grayish', with red tone. Expecting a slightly dusty, dark pink from that... a good leap above the dark brown fish tank variety. 'Guess I should get to see this one.

Hopefully I have a better excuse than the seller for having looked in the wrong way past most other offerings of attractive star spinel. Care to drop a word about how these look, where they come from and who has them?

Geez... I must be missing out on recent gem speak. Namya pink star sapphire you say? I knew the locality is responsible for some glowing pink spinel named after it (and other things that do not cary the name however). Is this a different memorable find or just a name for particularly fine pink color in general?

Re. asking for better picture: well... I don't put much stock in those images anyway. Online, words are better, for me. And then seeing is believing.

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Namya is just a good place to look after fine pink star sapphires, they are often very fluorescent. Sooooo nice.

About the color, you can''t be greyish red, just brownish.
If the tone is 2 to 2.5 it''s just the usual quality that I get from Ceylon, not worth $1000/Ct, at this price you''d rather buy some pink star sapphire !

I''ll try to photograph some of medium quality, I have none of fine quality in stock currently.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2006 3:29:39 PM

About the color, you can't be greyish red, just brownish.

I'll try to photograph some of medium quality.

Re. 'grayish red'... I think this is the standard description for lower saturation used on the Multicolor website. Just cited it as is.

Looking forward for the photos!

Sorry about the rushed post about Namya sapphire. Got my record up to date a bit in the meantime
38.gif
Vaguely unfamiliar statements make me jump suspecting some infomercial is the source, and I keep forgetting that your nondescript avatar hides a reliable source! Is your business anywhere on the Net?

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

I''ll do some photos but most probably not soon...

My business is nowhere on the net currently. But I''m seriously thinking about offering a few pieces on a website, mostly fancy sapphire, which prices and selection is far from interresting on the net.

My only problem is that while quality and price would be there I would be unable to offer any service (setting, recutting etc). Sometimes it may also take a few days to ship.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2006 3:24:57 AM

My business is nowhere on the net currently.

My only problem is that while quality and price would be there I would be unable to offer any service (setting, recutting etc).

It sounds like you would not be the only one by far by-passing these concerns. How many web-based shops offer stones only? Probably most of the good ones I know if not all.

Thanks for the info so far - pictures or no pictures.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oups... wrong post.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results