shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding out about this diamond on Thursday

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have shared this here and there on PS but haven't officially started any thread because I don't know anything definite about it. Thursday I have an appointment to find out exactly what the cut is on this and the color and clarity.

I've been thinking about whether I want to reset it, in the store the other day i banged the ring against one of the metal shelves and that got me thinking about a different setting that would give a little more coverage.

Here are some I really like, what do you guys think? The first one has marquise stones and I like the idea of having those since that's what the current setting has. Or do I leave it as is?

The current setting platinum marquise sides
IMG_7769.JPG

White gold w/marquise and rounds
IMG_7773.jpg

Side profile
IMG_7774.jpg

Ivy and Rose do I want sapphire?
IMG_7775.jpg

Or emerald?
IMG_7776.jpg

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Very exciting! The second 2 styles are so different than the first! I like them all... Do you love colored stones? How often do you see yourself wearing this ring? Would you want to wear blue or green that often? Would you like a lot of finger coverage? Do you want to be able to wear a band with it?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All good questions, I do love a target ring BUT obviously going that route will mean that it would be a standalone ring since wearing a band wouldn't be possible. If I go the colored stone route I'm leaning towards sapphires however the idea of mailing my diamond out to I&R in Chicago is a bit terrifying!

It's really all up in the air at the moment but can't wait to find out what it is, I've been calling it an OEC but the cut is so different from other ones I've seen, not sure if that's accurate! @OdetteOdile

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
It's exciting that you will have some more details on the diamond soon. I know what you mean about the idea of actually mailing the diamond being terrifying. So tiny, so precious! I really like the settings that Ivy & Rose offers, and I prefer the sapphires over the emeralds too.

Looking forward to your update on Thursday when you have more stats on the diamond!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the current setting. Could you change the head to six prongs, or would that not work in this case?

If you do decide to reset, and want to sell the current setting, I might be interested! (but that's another thread for another day, maybe)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sapphire setting took my breath away!
But---unless a ring is built like a tank, I shy away from lots of small stones in a ring. I would worry too much about loss and damage to the little stones.
I am careful with my jewelry, but yet I want to wear and enjoy my rings and not worry that I might look down and see a missing stone one day.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KaeKae, I like the current setting too but I would feel better with more prongs or coverage of some sort. It could probably be set into six prongs but I'd probably end up with a peg head and I'd rather avoid that. Unfortunately I just don't know a good goldsmith who could make a new head that wouldn't look out of place that is local.

@stracci2000, good point about the small stones I also wonder if resetting it into a bezel setting might make the diamond look smaller too and obviously we don't want that!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could get down with this for a peg head, I like the idea of a metal halo of sorts around the diamond as a bit of protection.

IMG_7777.jpg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
For what it's worth, I always felt like a bezel actually makes a stone look larger. I had an I&R target ring, I do think it was well made, never worried about losing a stone. (I'm a fan of the sapphire target rings.)
Can't wait to see what you find out about the stone!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must admit, the more I see target rings, the more I like them. I really like the sapphire one, and it will give you really good finger coverage.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for weighing in @CHRISTY-DANIELLE that is reassuring about their target settings, I do love them ever since I saw Slick's (I believe she has one if memory serves). As I get older I feel like I need more presence on the hand.

@Austina they are really striking I think and seem to be well made. Also can't complain about more finger coverage!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I've always been intrigued by the Ivy and Rose settings...they are beautiful!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could get down with this for a peg head, I like the idea of a metal halo of sorts around the diamond as a bit of protection.

IMG_7777.jpg

That's beautiful. Where did you find it?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I really love the first setting you chose so much that so would not change it. It is so beautiful yet it lets your stone shine.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sunstorm, so your vote is to keep it as is? Just wanted to clarify, I bought this ring pre-loved and it came as shown in the first picture, all I've done is resized it because well, chunky fingers!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems I have the knack for finding oddities, this one is no exception. I couldn't figure out what the cut was on this, it looked like an OEC but it also looked transitional. Well it's an OEC for sure (typical faceting) but there is no culet! The appraiser said at some point it was probably chipped so they just closed it instead of refaceting to keep in intact. Okey dokey, well that explains that. She gave it a color of K and a VS2 clarity it weighs 3/4 carat but it seems to hold its weight on the bottom, kind of like me lol! I'm running g around crazy today but wanted to come back and update and share some pictures since I didn't put up a proper thread for this one before.

It is a pretty little diamond even without the culet.
IMG_7779.JPG

IMG_7781.JPG

IMG_7782.JPG

IMG_7353.JPG

IMG_7361.JPG

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All good questions, I do love a target ring BUT obviously going that route will mean that it would be a standalone ring since wearing a band wouldn't be possible. If I go the colored stone route I'm leaning towards sapphires however the idea of mailing my diamond out to I&R in Chicago is a bit terrifying!

It's really all up in the air at the moment but can't wait to find out what it is, I've been calling it an OEC but the cut is so different from other ones I've seen, not sure if that's accurate! @OdetteOdile

I understand the nervousness of sending your stone in the mail to them. I am a repeat customer and have sent many many stones to them and all has been good. Sometimes I mail Express for my more expensive stones. I contact Sara and she is great and will help you if you decide to go this way :). I just set my gradmas diamond I inherited in a different type of target ring and it came out beautifully:)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say leave it alone. I am a purist, and the original setting keeps the whole vintage vibe.
This is just my opinion.
I love it, and the side marquis stones are so amazing!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@userangl28212003, thank you for the reassurance, your ring came out great. I know people mail stones all the time it's just the reality of potentially doing that myself which is a little scary.

@stracci2000, although I would like to have more prongs, I am going to leave it for now. It's funny how of the three rings I bought recently, two had the marquise sides by total coincidence!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think yes it is a nice sentiment to keep the integrity of an antique unless the stone is an old cut but the setting was already changed and/or you do not like it. The white gold with Marquise and rounds is also nice. I would prefer to keep a vintage vibe but then again what we like is subjective.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sunstorm I totally agree, I'm going to leave it as is, I do like the setting and like that I can wear a band with it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steph, I have this one that doesn't have a culet, either. It was appraised as an OEC back in 2008. But I've always wondered about it.
IMG_20200307_101835325.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steph, I have this one that doesn't have a culet, either. It was appraised as an OEC back in 2008. But I've always wondered about it.
IMG_20200307_101835325.jpg

This one doesn't look flowery to me at all, is it in person or no? Do you think it's a transitional? Large table? It's a pretty ring!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one doesn't look flowery to me at all, is it in person or no? Do you think it's a transitional? Large table? It's a pretty ring!
Small table. Petals are there, but more of a geometric pattern. My cell phone camera doesn't do well on close-ups.
Maybe it is transitional.
I wear it almost every day!
IMG_20200305_170529.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I really like that facet pattern and glad you wear it daily, we should wear and appreciate them otherwise what's the point?

So kind of OT but when I asked the appraiser whether one of the diamonds I brought her was transitional she said she doesn't use that term, her response was "transitional from what, it's all rather ambiguous". So she uses early round brilliant, two of the four rings I brought her were ERB then this unicorn. The early round brilliants seem to be more frequently found in the smaller stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results