shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding matched-set of fancy intense yellows?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

grimnj

Rough_Rock
I''ve been hunting for a matched set of princess cut fancy intense yellows in the .30-.40ct range. While I''ve been able to find trilliants and rounds, there really hasn''t been any luck on the stones I''ve been looking for (sidestones in case anyone was wondering).

I haven''t contacted any of the online stores or sponsors here. Anyone have any tips on where to fish for these guys?

Thanks for the tips.. Long time reader, first time poster.

Jim

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
30-40 points each or total? Scheiner sells five stone bands 1 cttw with either FIY rounds or princesses, which would make 40 points for two. Maybe that's the ticket. Much larger than this I've found it's harder to find a nice matched FIY pair...let us know if you find someone else who specializes in fancy color pairs.

Edit: I guess you know that for a squarish matched pair it's probably easier to find radiants than princesses. Except for the corners, I don't think radiant would look radically different at that size. But I certainly understand being particular about what's needed.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are too many here, but you may want to ask if a pair could be found for you.

grimnj

Rough_Rock
30 to 40 each stone (with nice spread) otherwise I might even jump to 50 points each if such a pair showed up.

They are sidestones for a 1.63ct princess (measuring 6.52x6.40), I don't want to go too small on the sides (why bother at that point), but not so large as to overwhelm the center stone.. I'd go radiant as well, no problems there..

Jim

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2005 8:23:35 AM
Author: grimnj

They are sidestones for a 1.63ct princess...

If these rings are anywhere similar, it should end up quite beautiful
1.gif

9353za.jpg
11166d.JPG

Usually (IMO) the jeweler who makes the setting provides the sides - which takes care of matching, fitting stones to setting perfectly etc. And this is also why matched pairs of sidestones are not often offered loose. Has your jeweler ''delegated'' the task?

grimnj

Rough_Rock
I attached a quick photoshop to illustrate what I''m looking to accomplish. Grabbed the photo off another site quickly, but it''s a good approximation..

While my jeweler has said he could get the side stones, I''d prefer to find a set I really love myself, not an easy task but certainly fun.

Jim

grimnjsample.jpg

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
If you want to finish up right away, I''ve seen several pairs of brilliant-cut trapezoids on this site, for example http://www.fancycolordiamond.net/diamond_details.php?id=5463ab. I actually prefer the tapered look, and they look pretty nice in the photos. He also has some rectangular radiants, nothing square.

Because the attention span of online sellers is pretty limited and because this is sortof a specialty item, a dedicated b&m on the ground may actually be your best bet for this. My experience at least.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2005 10:10:03 AM
Author: elmo

I actually prefer the tapered look,

Yeah... I wonder what the exact size of these is - traps are more spready than princess cuts (well, almost everything is), and may just do the trick.

THIS is another pair (.66 tcw).

I couldn''t find any pictures of princess rings with trap sides right now, but for ref about the size of these stones relative to weight this may help: .7tcw traps fit just fine next to a 3 carat radiant. So... half carat total may just do the trick for the 6.5mm princess.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not exactly my photoshop best, but...

YellowTraps.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw.

A few stones appear listed by multiple sellers cited on this thread - Icestore (icestore.com), Herskovitz & Polnauer (fancydiamonds.net) and Ishay (fancycolordiamonds.net).

It could be that the same stones are on the list of different sellers - nothing new. And neither fits the profile of an Ebay spammer that might just 'sell' pictures cropped from all over the net. Funny.... here, just thought I'd mention because such things were brought up before and turned out not so funny.

PrintScrap.JPG

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many of the vendors here either have those stones or know where to find them.

You will want to be sure that you are not paying natural color prices for treated colors, so when you are shopping on the net be sure to ask for proper documentation if paying for natural colors. Treated colors can be beautiful, but they are ver inexpensive compared to the natural colors. Making sure you have good documentation on the colors will make buying colored diamonds much more relaxing.

Wink

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Jim-

Try icestore.com. Ariel is well known for his great selection of fancy/colored diamonds, and he provides good service. He''ll take care of you.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
grimnj- I agree that you should try to buy the diamonds from someone who could also build the ring.
Otherwise you might have a ( not too nice) surprise if the mounting is not properly designed.
Natural Yellow pricess cuts are available in all calibrated sizes, as well as different intensities of yellow.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2005 11:50:30 AM
Author: valeria101
Btw.
Take a look at the "contact us" link on Leibish Polnauer''s site. There is a business relationship between Ishay and Leibish.

Also Wink has good advice, but a lot of the time on these small stones there won''t be a GIA report until you ask for it. I wouldn''t spend much for anything like this without one, even if I''m paying for it. Just make sure that the seller guarantees color and natural origin before you''re out the money for the report when there''s a surprise.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Smaller pairs ( say .75 total weight and smaller) virtually never have GIA''s

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2005 7:26:58 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren
Smaller pairs ( say .75 total weight and smaller) virtually never have GIA's
Unless, as I say, customer asks for it, and on something this price offers to pay for it, with contingency on color and natural origin that the seller pays if not. Dealers I know are happy to oblige, and I wouldn't purchase a colored diamond from someone who wouldn't. It's about $350 for two stones, have to factor that into the decision.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Yes a dealer would be quite re-miss if they dod not honor a clients wishes.
However, that dealer would also be re-miss if they did not inform the client that it might take an additional month, and there''s no guarantee that GIA will see the color exactly as you do.
I sent in a pair that was a great match- one came back Fancy INtense- the darker of the two came back Fancy Yellow

My opinion is that sending smaller side stones off to GIA is not a great use of time of money.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
It really depends on how much money is involved. The GIA is the final arbiter for fancy color, whether you like the call or not. If your customer is paying for fancy intense yellow they should get fancy intense yellow and with no brown modifier. If I liked the FY anyway, I hope my seller and their supplier would work something out and adjust the price accordingly.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Elmo, you''d be hard pressed to find someone more committed to respecting GIA, and their grading.

Still- say someone is looking at a ring that has yellow side diamonds. Say the seller realizes that they would have to un-set the diamonds, wait a month or so, re-set the diamonds.

Now say the client does not like the ring- that happens even if there are three GIA reports.
Now the seller is out a month''s time, and the $400 for the GIA reports.
That might make a seller with nothing at all to hide, hesitant.

It''s a challenging question because I have seen a lot of questionable fancy colors in my time- and there''s no doubt GIA is the "last word".
Still- a lot of very reputable sellers have reports on the centers and not on side stones- and some of those same reputable sellers would not be willing to un-set and send off side stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results