shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding a setting for emerald cut...

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, we're starting to get warmer on our engagement ring hunt. I think we've settled on a stone, but the price is currently out of budget, so I need a setting that:
1) is as inexpensive as possible, and definitely under $1k, but preferably under $500
2) will sit flush against a wedding band (non-negotiable and cannot require a notched band)
3) is white gold
4) if it has stones, they must be step cut
5) accommodates a 8x6 mm emerald cut stone.

Secondary market is great but a long-shot. I've been searching and searching and consulting jewelers about possible modifications to stock settings, but finally I realize I should just see if PS can find something off the rack :)

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Well your best bet would be to get a solitaire setting, which you should be able to find for under $500 in WG. Is that not what you are looking for? 8x6 is a great size and would look nice by itself. If you want something with bling you could always then save up and do a re-set. The vendor where your stone is should be able to do this simple setting for you for around $300 I would think.

If you want a blingy setting temporarily until you can get a good quality you can check LOGR on ebay.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
NFOwife, thanks for chiming in. I know it sounds simple, but I guess it's further complicated because 1) I don't want an ugly or masculine-looking head and 2) I would really prefer a knife-edge shank. The classic "tiffany-style four prong" looks unappealing to me with an emerald cut.

ETA: I guess I am having a hard time imagining a setting I would like that isn't a cathedral-style, too.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kiley, I like that it seems like it would sit flush, and the sidestones, but it seems like it would need a lot of work to accommodate an emerald :( I wonder how much a new head would cost.

Kiley

Rough_Rock
I may be wrong (as I am not at all an expert), but that head does not appear to me like it would require much modification, if any, for an emerald cut .... hopefully someone else will weigh in!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This Diamonds by Lauren ring is at least close to something that would work, but ideally would be knife edge and not "double bezeled." And, if I really were dreaming big, I would want some little carrés or tapered baguettes or bullets (or some combination thereof).

r3425rbc.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This setting comes in white gold from the Shane Company (shaneco.com)

The baguettes are .27 ctw and costs $795. This is a RHR but looks fine with and sets flush with my channel set anniversary band. I didn't care for the mounting in the show case but once I dropped my EC diamond in there I was sold. The EC is .71 ct.

newecmc9.jpg

ec7.jpg

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Marcy, that is lovely! Do you have a profile shot of the head?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go. This is by far my favorite ring.

ec4ac.jpg

ec5xc.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few quick shots and definitely not the best pictures. One from the side and with my 1/2 ctw anniversary band (it has 15 diamonds in it) and my ring size is 6.

echandshot.jpg

ecside.jpg

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Marcy, that's very inspiring, thank you for sharing! I want something a little more... curvy... for the head, but the shank and sidestones are great!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome, MissStepCut! I think for my ering I'd want something more curvy too. My solitaire ering is rounded and I really like it. Have fun shopping! I'll be anxious to see what you get.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results