shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding a repro ring designer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robainya

Rough_Rock
Okay, based on the feedback from this forum, i''m planning to have a wedding band custom made to match my antique engagement ring. Does anyone have advice on how to find a designer that specializes in antique reproductions? Or can anyone recommend one?

robainya

Rough_Rock
I''m in San Francisco if anyone happens to know anyone in the area.

thanks!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm.....I'd be tempted to talk to someone at one of the major SF jewelers, like Shreves...they must have access to highly qualified antique reproduction designers.

Another possibility is www.singlestone.com (in LA)...who specialize in estate and repro jewelry with their own designers..

I believe most antique jewelry dealers, like www.diannesestatejewelry.com (on Union St.) work with skilled antique benchmen/designers...

I just noticed you're from Santa Cruz. Isn't there at least one really good estate jeweler in Carmel? If I ever knew the name...I've long since forgotten it...

Just some random thoughts...

Good luck!
widget

ETA: I found them! Why not give Fourtane a call in Carmel and see if they can help you?
1.gif
www.fourtane.com

robainya

Rough_Rock
Actually, I''m from San Francisco, not Santa Cruz (though it''s funny you should say that as i went to college in Santa Cruz).

I have asked some antique jewelry dealers about it and they don''t seem to want to share the information about who they work with (I guess they''d prefer you buy something from them).

I checked out single stone, though, and it looks like they have some really nice stuff. They have an engagement ring that looks very similar to mine.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: bellacapella
I have asked some antique jewelry dealers about it and they don''t seem to want to share the information about who they work with (I guess they''d prefer you buy something from them).
....or order a custom repro through them!
20.gif

I do wish you could post a picture of your antique ring! What do you have in mind for a band? It''s possible some of the online vendors here could help you, and save you some money...

I thought you were from Santa Cruz ''cuz that''s what it said on your profile...

1.gif
widget

robainya

Rough_Rock
Oh, that''s funny. I guess i regressed into the "good old days" when i was doing my profile (i graduated from college and left Santa Cruz a LONG time ago)!

I asked at Lang Antiques in SF about having a ring custom made to match the one i have and the person became VERY snooty (they are already quite snooty there) and made it very clear that if i wasn''t interested in buying something from what they had for sale, then i should stop wasting his time. After that i was afraid to bring it up with anyone else. I guess i could ask at Dianne''s. They are very nice there.

I wish i could post pix of my ring, but my computer self-destructed recently (i''m using a loaner while mine is being fixed) and i don''t have access to my pix.

robainya

Rough_Rock
I emailed Dianne''s and they very happily gave me a recommendation of someone local. Just in case anyone else is in case anyone else is searching this list, his name is Karel Sterba and he is located on Post Street downtown.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results