shape
carat
color
clarity

Finder's Fee?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A professional would charge hundreds of dollars to do what you're offering, if you could find someone to do it at all. The value, by the way, is in your judgement in evaluating stones, in your assessment of the marketplace for alternatives, and in your negotiating skills. The price of airplane tickets has very little to do with it. It's not a delivery service being offered. Whether or not you want to be in the business of offering this sort of service and how you set your rates is an interesting question but I see nothing at all wrong with charging (even charging quite a bit) and I even see a benefit to the customer to doing it this way. Most people take their professional duties far more seriously than when they're doing someone a favor and it's a lot easier for them to be demanding in terms of quality of service if they're a paying customer. The nature of the deal changes if they're paying you and the change goes beyond the money. Keep it up and you'll get to follow Karl into becoming a member of the trade. :-o

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
Kenny,
Devi'ls advocate for a minute. If you choose to take money for your service (which I think is fine) then you must also consider the liability you might be taking on when this becomes a business transaction (and she pays you the finders fee).

If this is a friend, this what I have to say is moot. If it's an aquaintance or someone who knows your online rep and wants to pay for your expertise, that's something all together different.

When you take $$ for a fee, what happens if the person that you're now working for doesn't like the stone and says you should have known better? Will you have an agreement in place regarding who pays for return shipping if she's not happy? What if she says the stone she received could not possibly be the one you photographed?

I realize that this is all probably overkill, but from some of the stuff I've seen, it might be easier to just help someone out and not take $$ (which to a third party would appear as payment for an expert, and would carry some liability).

It sucks that in this world I think like that, but again, I've seen too much weird stuff to not worry about those sorts of things.

One way around it would be that she didn't pay you anything until the stone was received and approved; but then what if they stiff you?

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Annie on this. Even laid-back people can be extra-picky when it comes to a big purchase, and you'd never know unless you were involved in a big purchase with them in the past.

For a good friend, I'd ask for $100 for gas up front. Next time you see your friend, they can buy you lunch/dinner/drinks, and show you what they've done with the diamond. Also, I'd emphasize to the friend that it's a lot of work that you're doing as a special favor -- not something you'd do for anyone (so the friend's friends don't come beating down your door for the "same deal").

If this is a facebook-type friend, I'd ask for a fee per piece (say $100 or $200 per piece to photograph), and you provide one photo shoot per piece (say 5-10 shots from different angles), but leave the actual buying decision to the friend. That way, you're being paid for your photography, not your diamond expertise.

I know you have great diamond taste, but I feel like if you influence the buying decision, you're getting into murky ground (like what Anne said above). But since most merchants only have so-so photographs, you would be helping out your friend by providing an accurate visual representation of the goods being considered. And if the diamond is an obvious dud, your photos would show that (particularly because you take so much care into making the photos accurate).

I've seen your photographs and they're amazing, and your friend is very lucky to have you.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
For me, I would debate two ways to go about setting a fee; by the hour or a percentage of the total purchase price.

If you anticipate that you will spend 4 hours doing the tasks, what would be a good per hour rate for you -$25 or $50 an hour? $100 or $200 seems very reasonable for the buyer in light of what a serious purchase it will be and either of those rates seem (to me, anyway, who just graduated and is working for a very small non-profit :lol: ) to be a good hourly rate without taking advantage.

Or you could see how a percentage works out, most sales commissions are between 10-20% of the retail price. Only you know the price range you are dealing with and what these percentages would end up being.

In the end, considering how concientous you are being regarding determining the fee, I think your gut is your best guide. Work up a few numbers, based on time or percentage, do they feel exhoribitant you to or would you not bother to except an assigment for such little compensation and adjust. Only you know this person, the strength of your friendship, and the nature and scope of the purchase.

Best of luck!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I'd never expect anything monetary from a friend or relative for my help. I help as often and as much as I can. The things I've done for people(even strangers) would astound you but you do things you're comfortable with and just know you're being kind. Sometimes I've been gifted with something the person thought I'd might like but I'd NEVER accept money. The things I've received are not giant gifts, just thoughtful "thinking of you things". It actually means more that way. So, do the favor if you want to and expect nothing. If you are not comfortable doing that then maybe tell the friend you are just too busy right now. I also am the type of person that if someone goes out of their way to help me, I will make sure to let them know how much I appreciate it(flowers, towers of cookies, depending on how close I am to the person something maybe that they've mentioned they might need). I don't think friends should pay each other with cash.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
makemepretty|1294253739|2815054 said:
I don't think friends should pay each other with cash.
Tend to agree. If this is a "friend friend" --- i.e. you hang out with this person a few times a decade at least ... no cash. I've only taken cash from a friend a couple of times when it was absolutely clear that the service I was providing was in my area of professional expertise and they INSISTED. And, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't. And I've done several professional services for friends since then & just had a casual maybe return the favor sometime policy.

I think it would be weird to charge for an area of expertise that was more of a hobby. Especially in a field where customers are notoriously picky and big $$ is involved and things could go so horribly askew w/hurt feelings & lost value etc. (If they buy it, its hard to resell for the same amount if they don't like it.)

HOWEVER -- at some point a hobbyist can become a professional. Where that happens is a kind of gray area. Is that your hope?

MarkBroumand

Shiny_Rock
Trade
aviastar|1294251402|2815019 said:
In the end, considering how concientous you are being regarding determining the fee, I think your gut is your best guide. Work up a few numbers, based on time or percentage, do they feel exhoribitant you to or would you not bother to except an assigment for such little compensation and adjust. Only you know this person, the strength of your friendship, and the nature and scope of the purchase.

Best of luck!

I don't think there is anything wrong being compensated for your time and effort and you're friend must be aware of this or else they wouldn't have offered.

A percentage is a good way to go, for it's a flat fee where you don't have to stipulate every detail of the process, making it all simpler and easier. I wouldn't charge anything over 10% however, being that you are not an "official professional" and also a friend.

Think about everything everyone else have said and see if this is worth it. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results