Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Find me a Marc Williams/Ann McKay type

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
Marc Williams, Ann McKay, James Meyer.

They won't take outside stones because...... :roll:

I don't want to use a dk type who is a jack of all trades. I'd like to find someone who does that design well but is easier to work with.

Caleb Meyer maybe, but he doesn't seem to do organic as much as the others.

Also ideally they need to use reclaimed metal. I know greenlake does, but I'm not sure how they would execute the design. Anybody know a designer that makes designs similar to this, that works in recycled platinum and willing to use outside stones

3130.jpg

james-meyer-diamond-engagement-ring-laughinggravy.jpg

marc_williams_goldsmith_1158309840530639956_1582697754.png
 

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
10,033
Tough one as this is quite a distinctive style. Marc Williams was not willing to set my outside stone but after a few mails he did... Could be worth it going back to him? Can a loose stone be insured? That could be a good solution.

I have been browsing for you through Greenlake Jewelry Works settings but could not find a style similar to the ones you posted. They have different designers though. Perhaps if you show them the design they can make something similar.
 

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 21, 2010
Messages
4,081
FWIW I believe as of last year Caleb Meyer also stopped accepting customer stones for his settings.

I will think on this, and come back to post if I can remember other designers with a similar organic aethetic.
 

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
10,033
This one is from Greenlake. Probably not quite the organic style you are looking for...

_1469.jpeg
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
Acinom|1452446156|3973728 said:
This one is from Greenlake. Probably not quite the organic style you are looking for...

Yeah, though it has the same elements it really doesn't have the same feel, sadly....

The stone isn't a lot of money, I don't know if it would be more likely or less likely to be acceptable. I don't know if they even work in platinum though, and it really needs to be recycled metal.

Ann McKay I found super annoying because they would use an outside stone if it was an "heirloom" :nono: whatever.

It's touch becuase greenlake so far is the best option for the three criteria of "recycled metal, platinum, accepts outside stones"..... But the design is such a mystery
 

Lookinagain

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
1,005
If the stone isn't a lot of money and you want artistic and organic have you considered any of the etsy vendors?
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
Lookinagain|1452449485|3973751 said:
If the stone isn't a lot of money and you want artistic and organic have you considered any of the etsy vendors?
Any of the etsy vendors meaning who exactly
 

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
7,008
I did speak to someone in Caleb Meyer's office last summer and she did indicate they would reset my stone after some discussion. I ended up not going with his style. This may have changed though.
 

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 9, 2015
Messages
402
When I had a setting made for my spess Yvonne Raley and Melanie Casey would not set an outside stone. If I remember correctly I think Heart of Water was the only vendor that I read that had that option that I saw. Good luck and can't wait to see it!!!
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
I emailed greenlake well see what they say. I told them its an extremely tentative inquiry just to see if they had any examples of similar work. Sounds like they may.
 

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2013
Messages
6,031
Bump.

Niel - Did you ever find someone for this project? I'm just curious because I found a MW design that I like, and would be interested in customizing, but would need them to take my stones for it. So ... I'm on the hunt for a similar designer (not particular about recycling materials though); just in the 'organic' design sense. So just curious if you came across anyone. Thanks! :wavey:
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
JoCoJenn|1457542963|4002089 said:
Bump.

Niel - Did you ever find someone for this project? I'm just curious because I found a MW design that I like, and would be interested in customizing, but would need them to take my stones for it. So ... I'm on the hunt for a similar designer (not particular about recycling materials though); just in the 'organic' design sense. So just curious if you came across anyone. Thanks! :wavey:

well, greenlake seems like my best bet, because of all the requirements. they can do something fairly similar, from what ive seen, but not quite with the same technical execution.


ill see if i can find the examples i found from them :)
 

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2013
Messages
6,031
Niel|1457543672|4002096 said:
JoCoJenn|1457542963|4002089 said:
Bump.

Niel - Did you ever find someone for this project? I'm just curious because I found a MW design that I like, and would be interested in customizing, but would need them to take my stones for it. So ... I'm on the hunt for a similar designer (not particular about recycling materials though); just in the 'organic' design sense. So just curious if you came across anyone. Thanks! :wavey:

well, greenlake seems like my best bet, because of all the requirements. they can do something fairly similar, from what ive seen, but not quite with the same technical execution.


ill see if i can find the examples i found from them :)
I just stumbled on another goldsmith in the same physical area of MW; his name is Rick Mahonski. I haven't reached out or anything, and don't know if he recycles metals, but might be worth checking out. I'm just browsing what I can find on him now for my own ideas. He seems to offer a vibe I'm kind of going for, so that's why I'm looking.

His website: http://rickmahonskigoldsmith.com/ if you want to check him out.
 

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2013
Messages
6,031
diamondseeker2006|1457547452|4002125 said:
Wow, good find, JoCoJenn!!!
I don't know anything about him or his work, and didn't turn up any projects on PS from him, so ... it's just an option at this point. But he has nice pieces as well, and I like his style.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
Yes I like a lot of his work!
 

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2013
Messages
6,031
Niel|1457549903|4002144 said:
Yes I like a lot of his work!
I did reach out to MW to see if they changed their stance on accepting client stones. I asked the question up front, and they replied pretty quickly in a "well, it may depend ... whatcha got" kind of volley. They have one ring in particular that I am pretty sure I would LOVE my OECs in, though it would require modifying the current design since it's not a three stone ring. So, I'm anxious to see what they say. And I will report back, as I know that question seems to have been asked of MW before & met with mixed results in the past.

If that doesn't pan out, or if they agree but the cost is just too high for what I'm comfortable spending, then I may look for an alternative goldsmith to see if we can use the idea as inspiration to make my antique cut three stone, or go with that three stone Whiteflash ring which is the other contender. I do feel there is less risk with WF because they are so respected on here by so many, and there really isn't any guessing at the quality.

As an aside, I do wish we had something on PS that gave Consumers a general gauge if you will of the various vendors' pricing for custom work ... like one through five stars, with each star being about $1K for 'average' custom work (not necessarily equating to quality, mind you). And 'average' custom work being a common project like solitaire designs or three stone designs, etc. I may know I don't want to spend (for example) $4k on a project, so I don't want to waste someone's time if they start at - for example - $4K for a YG three stone ring. Not to say their skill may not be worthy of commanding that price; just that I may not wish to spend that much on that particular piece. KWIM?
 

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
10,033
Great find indeed JoCoJenn!!! I like :love:

By the way: MW made a ring for me after first refusing to make one as I wanted to use my own stone. I called en sent emails and in the end they agreed.

_2358.jpeg
 

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2013
Messages
6,031
That's a beauty, Acinom! :love: I'd seen your thread on it, which is what made me reach out to see if their stance on accepting customers' stones for projects has changed from what others have noted.

I emailed them my stones' info, so we'll see what they say, and I'll circle back with this group to share. I suspect it may be case-by-case, but knowing what the criteria are would be helpful. I hate to waste someone else's time (as well as my own).
 

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2013
Messages
6,031
Niel - I placed a fact-finding call to Rick Mahonski, and was able to speak with him directly (super, super nice fella!). He does work with recycled metals and primarily only 14K Wg & Yg, and he does work with customers' stones. All pieces are handmade from scratch, and everything he does is either bezel/gypsy type setting (no prongs). BONUS (for me, as that's what I love). :appl:

I did discuss my project with him from a VERY high level, as he has a similar design as MW, and while we didn't get into details, he was able to provide me a ballpark cost-wise that I felt was definitely in the realm of 'reasonable'.

If you want more info, I can send you an email (if it's the same as from last year when I got the rose cuts from you). Just let me know. :wavey:
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
JoCoJenn|1457558626|4002226 said:
Niel - I placed a fact-finding call to Rick Mahonski, and was able to speak with him directly (super, super nice fella!). He does work with recycled metals and primarily only 14K Wg & Yg, and he does work with customers' stones. All pieces are handmade from scratch, and everything he does is either bezel/gypsy type setting (no prongs). BONUS (for me, as that's what I love). :appl:

I did discuss my project with him from a VERY high level, as he has a similar design as MW, and while we didn't get into details, he was able to provide me a ballpark cost-wise that I felt was definitely in the realm of 'reasonable'.

If you want more info, I can send you an email (if it's the same as from last year when I got the rose cuts from you). Just let me know. :wavey:
It IS the same please do lete know I'm very interest. Seems like you found exactly what I was looking for!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top