shape
carat
color
clarity

Find Best Diamond Deal for Canadian

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

roadstar

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m new here and hope you guys can help. I''m from Vancouver, BC Canada and am looking to buy an engagement ring. I''ve been told I can get a better deal if I get the loose stone first from a diamond wholesaler.

So, any recommendations which wholesalers to check out? So far I''m still in the preliminary stages and have checked out websites like www.bluenile.ca and Spence Diamonds.

In terms of specs:
- Looking to spend $10,000 - $13,000 Canadian (so $8,500 to $11,000 US)
- Size - hoping to hit 2 carats
- Shape - Probably Round
- Colour - I or better
- Clarity - VS2 or better
- Cut - "Very good"? (not sure about this one)

As I''m a noob, feel free to comment on my specs whether they are reasonable or not (or how much more I would need to spend to get close to these specs). Also, please let me know whether some of the specs should be better given how much I''m willing to spend (i.e. is VS2 ok? or aim higher).

Here is an example one that is out of my price range from blue nile (and wondering if it could be had from a wholesaler):

Stock number: LD01005561

Price: $14,239 USD

Bank wire price: $14,026 USD

Carat weight: 2.00

Cut: Very Good

Colour: I

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 63.2%

Table %: 56%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Thin to medium

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 8.07 x 8.03 x 5.09 mm

Cut: Very Good

This diamond has been cut to allow it to reflect nearly all light as fire and brilliance, as determined by the GIA. This is an outstanding cut with a negligible visible difference from an ideal-cut diamond, but at a lower price. Colour: I

This diamond, when cut to ideal proportions, produces a warm brilliancy not found in the higher grade colours. I-colour diamonds are less expensive than other diamonds, so you can buy a larger diamond for the same price as a higher colour grade. Note: If this diamond has medium or strong blue fluorescence, its slight tint will be partially masked, making the diamond appear whiter to the eye. Clarity: VS2

This diamond has few, very small inclusions. The inclusions are very difficult to see under a 10x power magnification, and are almost never visible to the unaided eye. VS2 grade diamonds present an excellent value in clarity because they are typically free of visible blemishes, and they are less expensive than higher clarity grades.

THANKS GUYS!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmm, maybe H SI1 over I VS2, but doubt you're going to hit 2 cts and be in-budget. You're looking at J and SI if you want to be near 2 cts.

Anyone who sells to you, an end product, is a retailer, not a wholesaler.

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
roadstar,

I''m in Ottawa and after much research, chose to buy my fiancé''s from one of the PS vendors (Whiteflash specifically). I got a killer stone and came out way ahead in terms of the price, plus it''s not that easy to find comparable quality stones locally.

You''ll pay only GST + your provincial sales tax on the import. The old 10% excise tax was abolished last year, saving you a bundle.

Something''s going to have to give with your specs to stay within budget. For I/VS2, it looks like you can stretch to 1.75cts while retaining Ideal cut. Most here will tell you to look only at Ideal cut as this is the main determinant of brilliance and sparkle, and play with color or clarity. I can''t find any combo that gives you 2ct though.
Make use of the Search by Cut tool under the Prices menu at the top of the page.

Whichever way you decide to go, make sure the vendor can provide you with essential information such as the GIA or AGS cert. (with crown and pavillion angles), as well as ASET or Idealscope images. Post everything you receive here on PS and ask for comments.

Good luck.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I live in Alberta and recently purchased loose diamonds from Wink (Winfields) and GOG, which were set by Wink into earrings. Using the interactive technology here on PS, I was able to conference with Wink in real time and see the stones before setting. That was quite groovy. Once set, I received the earrings via FedEx and it was a relatively painless process. And they are stunners.

However for my diamond ring anniversary present last year I bought locally since I was very unsure of what I wanted and needed to see and try on *everything. I am extremely happy with my ring.

Incidentally, I wondered it you knew about a B & M jewellery vendor in West Vancouver, called Ron Davidson. He does custom design and on his website has a database listing of diamonds. Not sure how many are in-house, so I would call first.
http://www.diamondfile.com/

Good luck in your search.

cheers--Sharon

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hi there! I''m Canadian too, from Qc!
35.gif

You''ll probably want a better cut on that beauty to maximizes sparkles. Check out the tutorials for more info on cut and it''s importance. I don''t think you''ll be able to hit 2cts with your budget though, but you can still get a stunner! Sorry I can''t recommend any vendors, we went local in Montreal.

roadstar

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks for everyone for being helpful. I''ll go through the tutorials on cut then
34.gif

Anyway, how much will I need to spend to get to 2 carat then...?

Also, for those who imported their diamond from the US was it much of a hassle? Did you end up getting double taxed? (once for U.S. taxes and once for PST/GST)

Thanks

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 8:59:22 PM
Author: roadstar
Also, for those who imported their diamond from the US was it much of a hassle? Did you end up getting double taxed? (once for U.S. taxes and once for PST/GST)

Nope, you won''t be double taxed. A US vendor only charges the customer tax if they are in the same state, which you''re obviously not. What happened for me both times (E-ring then wedding band) was that FedEx will call you once they receive the package and ask your permission for them to act as your Customs Broker. If there''s a charge for that it''s only a few bucks.

Then the item will clear customs and you pay the GST/PST directly to the driver or at the depot when you receive the box. And you''re done. You''d be paying sales tax in Canada anyway so there''s essentially no extra cost.

RockMyWorld

Rough_Rock
Have someone who''s a resident in the US purchase it for you. As long as they are in a different state you can purchase a diamond from online (like Blue Nile) and will not be charged sales tax at all. Then ship it to yourself in Canada, avoiding customs tax in traveling. Pretty good, eh?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2007 12:06:12 PM
Author: RockMyWorld
Have someone who''s a resident in the US purchase it for you. As long as they are in a different state you can purchase a diamond from online (like Blue Nile) and will not be charged sales tax at all. Then ship it to yourself in Canada, avoiding customs tax in traveling. Pretty good, eh?
HI:

When you say "custom''s tax" are you referring to the excise tax on jewellery? As was previously mentioned, the "excise" tax on (imported) jewellery was abolished in May 2006. Hence the only taxes one is subjected to when buying most anything in Canada are the GST and additional Provincial PST''s. where applicable.

cheers--Sharon

whenharrymetsally

Shiny_Rock
Hi Roadstar,

I know this post is a few weeks old. Have you found your diamond yet? I am also in Vancouver, BC and after lots of research and looking around, we found our perfect stone at www.davidsondesigns.ca
They have a wide selection of RB stones that are Canadian Diamonds with the AGS000 rating!

We looked at Birks, Blue Nile, Ragnar, Monte Cristo and even spoke with a few private jewellers.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Hello: You came to the right place to learn.BTW did you see someone posted today on D.H for sale NOVO , tiffany check it out and see , gives you an idea..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results