shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally! Sunshine and blue sky and updated photos of "Pacific".

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lovely sunny day here - finally! - in Boston. I've called my new sapphire ring Pacific because she represents the great expanse of blue that connects my two homes - Australia and the US, as well as being my DH's birth stone and the only blue sapphire piece I own. The sun + blue sky made ALLLLL the difference and Pacific put on her best attitude and played it out hard for the camera! This first group were taken undercover, and the blue shows up more vibrantly.

So here she is - Pacific - aka Miss Moody!

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4055.jpgIMG_4057.jpg

What a beauty!! Timeless classic that makes me think of Princess Diana

These are her sunshine shots. Before Amy worked her magic, this was the setting in which I had most difficulty getting any color out of her at all. While you can see she is less colorful in this lighting setting, she is still clearly blue - and a beautiful blue at that!

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

These are her sunshine shots. Before Amy worked her magic, this was the setting in which I had most difficulty getting any color out of her at all. While you can see she is less colorful in this lighting setting, she is still clearly blue - and a beautiful blue at that!

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

This is sooooo incredibly helpful and educational to see!

Thank you for this. :)

And enjoy your new beautiful blue ring! :love:

@Rfisher -

I'm learning all kinds of stuff with this ring! Tilt angle is EVERYTHING.

Here are 2 photos with the tiniest bit different tilt to the camera. See the difference in color?

Tilted away from the camera:

IMG_4046.jpg

Still tilted - but just the tiniest bit more straight on:

IMG_4048.jpg

The difference is subtle, but it's definitely there. As I said to Amy at DKJ in an email this morning - "It's like trying to get a teenage girl to smile for the camera!"

She just came right out of her shell! Everyone's mood improves when the sun is out.
1896249wrr738gi7w.gif
I love seeing that hint of violet... to me, it's what makes blue sapphire special. So glad you're enjoying Miss Pacific!!

I completely agree with you, @Autumn in New England! I've always valued that violet undertone. Gorgeous!

Yes, you've got to have it! In my opinion, that's what sets it apart from other beautiful blue gems, like cobalt spinel. You're making me look through my gem box now to see what I can set in a similar dress (no copycatting though, promise)! lol

Yes, you've got to have it! In my opinion, that's what sets it apart from other beautiful blue gems, like cobalt spinel. You're making me look through my gem box now to see what I can set in a similar dress (no copycatting though, promise)! lol

All copy-catting taken as a compliment, so have at it! You're welcome to copy any and all aspects of this design - in part or in total. <3

ETA Just to add - I'm a BIG fan of a substantial halo. There's nothing like throwing a carat or two of diamonds at a colored stone to make the whole thing POP!

ETA x 2 @Autumn in New England - I just came back to add - with a halo/cluster using diamonds of this size, the quality of the melee really matters. I've always used ideal cut, colorless, VS or better diamonds, and I think it makes a measurable difference and elevates the piece. The diamonds in this ring are 13 points each - so - 1.3ctw. Being good quality makes a positive contribution, and I suspect using lower quality melee would have an equal effect in the opposite direction. Just a word to the wise. :wavey:

Last edited:
All copy-catting taken as a compliment, so have at it! You're welcome to copy any and all aspects of this design - in part or in total. <3

ETA Just to add - I'm a BIG fan of a substantial halo. There's nothing like throwing a carat or two of diamonds at a colored stone to make the whole thing POP!

ETA x 2 @Autumn in New England - I just came back to add - with a halo/cluster using diamonds of this size, the quality of the melee really matters. I've always used ideal cut, colorless, VS or better diamonds, and I think it makes a measurable difference and elevates the piece. The diamonds in this ring are 13 points each - so - 1.3ctw. Being good quality makes a positive contribution, and I suspect using lower quality melee would have an equal effect in the opposite direction. Just a word to the wise. :wavey:

You can really see where that extra quality (and $) went in using super fine diamonds! My "standard" diamond quality is F, VS, but I've never thought much about the cut in accent diamonds. Since these are so large, using ideal cut obviously makes a huge difference. That ring looks fit for a queen, truly. I'm glad you mentioned it, thank you!

Thank you, @musicloveranthony! I'm flattered that my Pacific reminds you of one of the most iconic rings in history! Obviously Pacific is a baby compared to Diana's 12ct stunner, but I do love her, and I'm pretty sure mine is representative of a far happier marriage than Diana's was!

@Mcgregor! Hallo there! :wavey: How are you enjoying your summer? I hope all is going well for you! Thank you for your kind words about my new bauble; she represents one major step closer to completing what has been a lifelong pursuit of the perfect jewelry collection for *me*. I'm sure "the perfect collection" for anyone else would be markedly different, but this is what's right for me, and I'm enjoying these last few steps - 3 rings, one pin and one bangle to go! Hugs to you, my friend! ox

I have now checked all the threads and seen all the photos. And what can I say, life gave you lemons and you made some crazy delicious lemonade with them.
martini.gif

This is fantastic! Congrats!

Amazing!!!

Now I'm wondering if I can get colored cups for some rings I want to have made, to enhance the appearance of the gems.

I wouldn't be surprised if you just started a big new trend. :)

Last edited:
Awww - thank you, @Avondale! I'm super chuffed about how it turned out and am downright "makin' margaritas" over the outcome!! :mrgreen:

Thank you, @Sachsensox! I love it. ::)

@seaurchin - I have some other unset gems and - believe me when I tell you - this is not the only colored cup I'll be doing!! My main focus is to close in any windows in my colored gems, but it really does seem like a natty idea if one wants to send a gem from good to great. It's a pretty snazzy idea - and none of it was mine / all credit to Amy Phillips and her team on this one. <3

Super pretty! Classic but not common.

I've been a bit busy and apparently missed this TRIUMPH?!:shock::love:
This was the end result of the somewhat meh sapphire?! 929431
It's beautiful and the ingenuity of DK/Amy and team solution is just masterful.
Your design for this ring is an exquisite amalgamation of all the very best elements.

I'm impressed down to the ground.

I love this sooooo much!! The proportions are my idea of perfect, and THAT BLUE! Divine! :kiss2:

Exquisite, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Awwww - thank you so much, @ItsMainelyYou! And you made me laugh, as always! "Impressed down to the ground" - I'm using THAT one going forward for sure!! :bigsmile:

Hi @Dandi! :wavey: Thank you for your kind comments, but I need to keep it real here and say that Pacific only gives up her inner blue because of the mastery of Amy Phillips at DKJ. She's a beautiful blue...in best possible lighting...unless she has help. So we gave her help! And now she's blue in pretty much all settings. I'm with you on the proportions tho - for sure!

Thank you, @dk168 - and you are so welcome!

I am late to the celebratory party but chiming in that this is a beautiful ring. I completely understand adopting this strategy for a bit of color enhancement since blue sapphire can be so shifty and slight differences in tone or saturation might impact visual appeal vs a vendor photo. (I gave up on a search for a lively, true blue, faceted & unheated sapphire in the 2-3 carat range for these reasons.) The violet undertone that comes out to glow outdoors in the sun is quite special. Those stones in the halo and the tilt of them deserve a *chef's kiss*. Hope that you relax and savor the good things in life with Pacific on your hand.

I am late to the celebratory party but chiming in that this is a beautiful ring. I completely understand adopting this strategy for a bit of color enhancement since blue sapphire can be so shifty and slight differences in tone or saturation might impact visual appeal vs a vendor photo. (I gave up on a search for a lively, true blue, faceted & unheated sapphire in the 2-3 carat range for these reasons.) The violet undertone that comes out to glow outdoors in the sun is quite special. Those stones in the halo and the tilt of them deserve a *chef's kiss*. Hope that you relax and savor the good things in life with Pacific on your hand.

Thank you, @asterismdispersion - I appreciate the very generous comments!

:wavey:

Very aptly named, and beautiful! The coloring reminds me of dark waters off the cliffs of San Diego where I sea kayaked.

Absolutely stunning! What an incredible story and outcome.

@voce - thank you so much! I love that deep ocean blue. <3

Thanks, @jenzgemz. ::) I was *so* happy with how it came out, and soooo surprised! It was a great result!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics